Can anyone help with old player?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Matt you are .......well Matt ...

Try learning some of Uniteds history !! Try the pictures on the wall at the bar at the Family stand for a start ...Phil Sandercock is on one !!

Phil & Ken Sandercock were great players in the 70's Phil was a reliable penalty taker and was our fist PFA divisional player.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Regrettably no I can't help with his present whereabout but what a cracking young man in the late 60's and 70's and an absolute credit to our club. I was fortunate enough to be in our youth team with the occasional excursion into the reserves with Phil for a couple of seasons when he was one of only two apprentices. How times have changed! Ian Twitchen (a few hundred appearances for us), Robbie Robbins (not so many but a brilliant first team goalie), and Pat Roche (who went on to play for Manchester United) were all amateurs.

Phil wasn't phased by anything and I will always remember him for his outstanding left peg and as (I think Trojan) mentioned couldn't he thump a penalty in? A bit like Wotton but a bit brighter! ;-) . A particular memory of his left hoof was an FA Youth Cup replay at Home Park (10/11/69 or thereabouts) when he thumped a 35 yards free kick into the top corner at the Devonport End past Peta Ba'lac (later Tottenham Hotspur) to put us ahead.

Lovely man, brilliant player, and I always thought he should have gone higher than us, Northampton, and Huddersfield. His brother Ken did play in the top division, and whilst he may have seemed more naturally skillful I always felt Phil was the more well rounded player. But we can let the brothers argue over that if they Google themselves!

Hopefully they will as Phil may then register on here to get in touch with the OP (Stuart McGowan the other of the two apprentices at the time did exactly that on TFF after a similar series of posts).

Oh well reminiscences and nostalgia are now overwhelming me and Matron is shouting for me to get back into bed!

Ciao ciao tutti e buona notte! ;-)

EDIT: Just a quick amendment having scrolled again through the thread and seen a post from Trojan I had no idea Ken had passed on (so there would be only one winner in the brotherly 'argument'. But RIP Ken). Also apologies to Dutchgull as it was him that spotted the penalty taking ability and not Trojan! ;-) . Apart from that as we were. Matron just bringing me a glass of milk! :O
Last edited by stefano on 10 May 2012, 22:53, edited 2 times in total.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

stefano wrote:Regrettably no I can't help with his present whereabout but what a cracking young man in the late 60's and 70's and an absolute credit to our club. I was fortunate enough to be in our youth team with the occasional excursion into the reserves with Phil for a couple of seasons when he was one of only two apprentices. How times have changed! Ian Twitchen (a few hundred appearances for us), Robbie Robbins (not so many but a brilliant first team goalie), and Pat Roche (who went on to play for Manchester United) were all amateurs.

Phil wasn't phased by anything and I will always remember him for his outstanding left peg and as (I think Trojan) mentioned couldn't he thump a penalty in? A bit like Wotton but a bit brighter! ;-) . A particular memory of his left hoof was an FA Youth Cup replay at Home Park (10/11/69 or thereabouts) when he thumped a 35 yards free kick into the top corner at the Devonport End past Peta Ba'lac (later Tottenham Hotspur) to put us ahead.

Lovely man, brilliant player, and I always thought he should have gone higher than us, Northampton, and Huddersfield. His brother Ken did play in the top division, and whilst he may have seemed more naturally skillful I always felt Phil was the more well rounded player. But we can let the brothers argue over that if they Google themselves!

Hopefully they will as Phil may then register on here to get in touch with the OP (Stuart McGowan the other of the two apprentices at the time did exactly that on TFF after a similar series of posts).

Oh well reminiscences and nostalgia are now overwhelming me and Matron is shouting for me to get back into bed!

Ciao ciao tutti e buona notte! ;-)

The young Phil at leftback and the young Stefano at rightback (Western League).

;-)

Edit : Sadly Stef, Kenny has passed away. :(
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote:
Edit : Sadly Stef, Kenny has passed away. :(
Yes sorry to hear that Trojan. I did spot it in the thread from you having scrolled back through after posting and I did stick an edit in but stuck in in the wrong place. I'll try to amend it but if unsuccessful I definitely am off to bed! ;-)
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Aussie wrote:Thing is it`s nothing like an old joke at all, it`s not even funny! :|
We might not all know each other but someone who is a sporting local celeb might just be easily found on a site that should know who the bloke is! Possibly. i.e if your looking for someone you would naturally trace their history for contacts, it ain`t rocket science or are you just being an arse to someone who you don`t even know again? Ever heard of trying to be helpful instead of trying to be a smart arse all the time, a lot of your posts are very good reading and you obviously know your stuff but then you go at people for no apparent reason and it really does let you down.
Why do I feel massively hypocrytical right now!
Edit minor spelling f**k up!
You have to remember Aussie, Matt here has admitted on a few occasions to only starting to support Torquay in the 2004 promotion season, he's the closest thing we have to a Glory Hunter. He seems to have no knowledge of the days when we were fighting relegation year on year, hence why he then slates Barnet on another thread who basically do exactly what we used to do.

Essentially, 2004 to present exists. 2003 to the beginning of TUFC is just this grey area which is basically made of folklore and mythology, hence why he doesn't take it seriously and makes pointless posts with nothing to do with the topic, a bit like this one... :whistle:
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

cambgull wrote: You have to remember Aussie, Matt here has admitted on a few occasions to only starting to support Torquay in the 2004 promotion season, he's the closest thing we have to a Glory Hunter. He seems to have no knowledge of the days when we were fighting relegation year on year, hence why he then slates Barnet on another thread who basically do exactly what we used to do.

Essentially, 2004 to present exists. 2003 to the beginning of TUFC is just this grey area which is basically made of folklore and mythology, hence why he doesn't take it seriously and makes pointless posts with nothing to do with the topic, a bit like this one... :whistle:
Looks like a strong case, until we introduce the one key element that you have missed out. Until the 2004 season, I lived 170 miles away and had absolutely no connection to TUFC what so ever.
My initial post on this thread (I cannot believe I am even entertaining the idea of defending this...) was a bit of a laugh. Had I realised that the SS were here to monitor all posts and remove every shred of humour from the internet, I'd not have bothered.

Now, as you were, this bloke isn't going to not find himself.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I've moved nearly 300 miles away, doesn't mean I stop supporting Torquay! ;-)

Pish posh, excuses, excuses an' all that!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Matt, thanks for your support since 2004.

With all due respect I would recommend you research the history of our great club.......its only just over a hundred years worth !!!
You will find it a fascinating story of a small town club always struggling to survive but in that time enjoying some great moments and having some great players and characters turning out for the magpies / gulls. Magpies ?? Now theres a story ! Followed by golden beaches and blue skies !

On a personal note I can understand if pre 2004 you had no connection with TUFC but if I were you I would have made a point of finding out as much as I could about the club so I would know what I was talking about !!!!

Its such a shame that you so often come across as a pompous little ........smart arse ......!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Is anybody on LinkedIn as his name comes up, but I'm not on it?

Cheers

Bruce

p.s. I remember him well :)
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

cambgull wrote:I've moved nearly 300 miles away, doesn't mean I stop supporting Torquay! ;-)

Pish posh, excuses, excuses an' all that!
Again, good effort, but no, fraid this won't wash either. Don't make me wheel out the ol' Donald Rumsfeld on you.

Dutch,

I have read about the history of the club, it was I who produced the 'Grandstand Tales' in TQ1 this season. I am, however, hopeless at both geography and history, of any description, so it all tends to blur into one for me. I'm sure this geezer was a lovely player, but then, we've had millions of lovely players. I quite like not knowing a great deal about the history of TUFC, it means that I'm constantly surprised and delighted by little snippets of information which might otherwise have been lost among a menagerie of other facts and figures.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Aussie wrote: Thing is it`s nothing like an old joke at all, it`s not even funny! :|
We might not all know each other but someone who is a sporting local celeb might just be easily found on a site that should know who the bloke is! Possibly. i.e if your looking for someone you would naturally trace their history for contacts, it ain`t rocket science or are you just being an arse to someone who you don`t even know again? Ever heard of trying to be helpful instead of trying to be a smart arse all the time, a lot of your posts are very good reading and you obviously know your stuff but then you go at people for no apparent reason and it really does let you down.
Why do I feel massively hypocrytical right now!
Edit minor spelling f**k up!
For goodness sake , lighten up. It's only a joke. I have, actually, had an American say the same thing to me. "Oh you live in London,do you know my wife's cousin, Mary?"

He's not "having a go" just light hearted banter. No wonder the world is in a mess. Dear oh dear.
Last edited by diamondgirl on 11 May 2012, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Lets leave the Americans out of this. Their geography is awful. As Stephen Fry said " war is gods way of teaching Americans geography" :~D
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

I, like Ferrari, have only been supporting the Gulls since moving to Devon on 20th august 2004. That's not our fault. We lived 200 miles away.
However, it makes our support, of the club, no less passionate that someone who has been supporting them for the last 100 years. We are season ticket holders, and have been for the last 4 years. I did not miss an away game for 2 years running, and have only missed 2 away games this season. We give 100% support to TUFC, including going to youth team matches, Devon Bowl matches, Charity matches and, in Ferrari's case, development matches plus ALL pre-season matches, including away.

Please do not start to question Ferrari's commitment to TUFC just because he does not know the history of every player who has turned out for them.

We could have gone and watched the Pilgrims or the lot up the road, but we lived in torquay and it was only right to support our local team. :@
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

diamondgirl wrote:I like Ferrari, .............................

Only a Mother could :rofl:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

usagullmichigan wrote:Lets leave the Americans out of this. Their geography is awful. As Stephen Fry said " war is gods way of teaching Americans geography" :~D

Ha ha. So very true USAgull. Americans are amazing when it comes to geography. I love the world news channels, on American TV. They cover New York, Florida, and as far away as California. Brilliant. :nod: