Form going into Play-offs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

My first post mentioned a comment by Lee Mansell, my comments though were not addressed in particular to Lee but the TEAM. I honestly believe that the TEAM have lacked 'bottle' over the last 5 games against teams that are no better than the gulls. All my comments have been made relevant to the blog title 'Form going into the Play-offs'.

It appears that if posters do not agree with opinions, it is automatic to show abuse. I don't believe that I deserve this, or to be linked to persons from other sites, probably as a matter of spite. Thank you for your opinions in disagreement, I have read each one...If you have any doubt over my sincerity, it might be prudent to read previous posts made by me.

I am 100% behind the Gulls going into the play offs but I still think attitude needs to change. Also I don't see how cold and wet nights at Conference grounds makes me a suppoter who turns when things aren't going well.

You don't know me, so please do not doubt my support or send abuse over a personal opinion...Thanks
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

usagullmichigan wrote:Coley has a brother on here, his name begins with B. :~D
I don't think we should bring Buckle into this, not even he deserves that!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Oh I didn't know there was third.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

DANGER: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Coley, you said:
coley wrote:What was it Lee Mansell said before the Wimbledon game (something about having the boll*cks), sorry Lee but you have been well and truly CASTRATED. The last 5 games have been a matter of 'bottle', and on performances Gulls have proved that they have none...(3 out of 15 points) Sorry.
Now, is it any surprise that, when you say something as offensive, horrible, nasty and unjustified as that, other people get on your case? I am a proud supporter of the Gulls, and I too have been out in the rain at the grounds that you have mentioned. That does NOT give me permission to abuse the players, and I never ever would anyway. You, on the other hand, are putting up this pretence of being somehow "wronged". When you comment in the offensive way that you did (SEE ABOVE FOR EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID) and you will be pulled up. Please don't go crying about "poor me", YOU started this mate and have to take the comments back on the chin, like a man.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

No probs, your points have been honest and interesting BUT would be better without the abuse. It was Lee who used the term, my comment was relevant to it and in the same vane not intentionally abusive to anyone !
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Really don't think "bottle" came into it, more likey tiredness as we have a small squad and have not used that many players, and a few key players with injuries, saw no lack of "bottle" against a very good Crewe team, yesterday their was no lack if "bottle" either, found ourselves 3.0 becasue we simply forgot how to defend.

As for form going into the play-off's don't think it counts for much, first leg matchs tend to cagey affairs no one wants to make a mistake, or lose, one bad decision from the ref, a 45 minute defensive horror show and form can go right out the window.

As for those worried about Sothend or Crewe "if" we get past Cheltenham, don't, Wembley, one off match, can be a great leveler in terms of current form, if our team do get through and can't get themselves up for a match at Wembley then maybe they don't deserve to go up.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

coley wrote:No probs, your points have been honest and interesting BUT would be better without the abuse. It was Lee who used the term, my comment was relevant to it and in the same vane not intentionally abusive to anyone !
So apologise then. Your comment was extremely abusive to the players and the team, you should be ashamed if you haven't go the bottle to apologise.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

OK, I am ashamed to not apologise, still believe in what I have said as my rightful opinion. By the way, I am not a 'Troll'. Just someone who you disagree with.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

coley wrote:OK, I am ashamed to not apologise, still believe in what I have said as my rightful opinion. By the way, I am not a 'Troll'. Just someone who you disagree with.
You have a Detention tonight. Please remember that! :lol:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

24 minutes ago I did try and get this thread back on topic :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

1. Our form of late has been crap.

2. Some of our players are running on empty.

BUT

3. We have two bites of the cherry to get through the semis.

4. Some of our bench players CAN step up to the mark.

Glass half empty, or half full.

Cheers

Bruce the rosetinter :rules:
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Coley actually makes some good points and typically by the morons on here has been called an idiot for it. We have done well to get where we are this season but as he said three points out of the last fifteen is terrible given the good position we were in.
"Bottle" isn't scoring two goals when you are three down - its not being three down in the first place. hereford have been relegated for a reson ie they are clueless. We definately lost our bottle on Saturday - lets hope we find it by next weekend.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Clueless enough to beat Crawley 3 zip...............................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:Coley actually makes some good points...
Ok, let’s test this theory first.
coley wrote:The last 5 games have been a matter of 'bottle', and on performances Gulls have proved that they have none
Taking ‘bottle’ to mean the general wherewithal to see games through and generally put in a shift, let’s have a look at this, shall we.

5 games ago, we lost a goal lead, had TWO ruled out (one, certainly incorrectly), had a man sent off and STILL came back with a goal in the dying seconds from a substitute who has barely played this season. All this against one of the best sides in the league, away from home, in a hostile atmosphere.

2 games ago, we faced a Crewe side bang in form and we were the better team for 90 minutes. They were so scared of us that despite their form and their line up (featuring, as it did, a player worth five times the value of our entire club!), they spent the whole game wasting time. We were deservedly a goal ahead, until the referee went ballistic, decided he wanted a draw, so added on 4 minutes. They scored an equaliser they didn't deserve, scored by the aforementioned Premier League star in waiting. Then, and even then, we had the bottle (there's that word again) to go up the other end and score a perfectly good goal, which the referee chalked off, for fear of it spoiling his 8 fold accumulator.

1 game ago, we, somehow, found ourselves three down to a team who had had three attacks in the first half. We had had YET ANOTHER perfectly good goal ruled out, we had hit the post and had one cleared off the line. We were playing a team who were the football equivalent of a wounded animal, they were fighting for their lives and had, barely 8 days hence, taken apart a Crawley side who are (according to the final standings at least) a League 1 outfit. Despite this, we managed to pull ourselves together, make a couple of very daring substitutions, and get ourselves very much back into the game. By the end, it was a travesty worthy of Shakespeare (who I despise, but that's a different story) that we hadn't won by the 8 goals we needed to take us up on GD.

Nope, no ‘bottle’ in that lot...
coley wrote: you deal with the situation that you have achieved or find yourself in, and Gulls haven't, it's been all let go.
“All let go”, so we’re not in the playoffs then? The situation we found ourselves in was that, having played more games than those around us, we were in the automatic promotion places. We then managed to stay in those places until all the games had evened out, when we were debunked to fourth. We found ourselves in a two horse race with Cheaty (and all that their club entails), and Cheaty had a run in which was less than half as difficult as ours (I can evidence this mathematically).

Next customer please.
coley wrote:You need 'bottle' to get through the playoffs
You need a damn sight more than that. And thanks, we know what’s required, we’ve qualified for the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years.
coley wrote: 5 games without a win is not a good ground to go into the playoffs
What do you suggest we do about this? We could consult Doc Brown and Marty McFly, see if we could borrow the DeLorean, go back in time, tell Lingy exactly how the oppo will score their goals, then prevent that from happening. Perhaps we should resign our place in the playoffs, since we so clearly don’t deserve to be there given our shocking form and lack of ‘bottle’?
I’ll grant you, it’s not ideal, but if we can come so close as we did last year with a manager who, when he’s not **** the players’ wives, is busy negotiating his transfer to L1 relegation fodder, I'm sure we’ll manage just fine this time round.
Still not come across these mythical ‘good points’ Brucie, and I’m running out of claptrap to quote.
coley wrote: Nerves are created when you recieve a final demand bill or are waiting to see if you have been made redundant, not just doing what you are paid for.
You've been on foot patrol through towns in Helmand, have you? You think you know nerves, because you might not have use of your mobile phone for a week while you scrape together some pennies to give to Vodafone? Please, do kindly **** off. But why would a soldier, sailor or airman feel nerves while they’re wandering about loaded down with kit, in 50 degree heat, through a town which they KNOW to be full of men with guns whose sole aim is to make them all dead? Why would they feel nerves walking down the same street on which the day before, EOD (the bomb squad to you) had made safe (defused) a number of IEDs (road side bombs), each of which was large and volatile enough to have killed a man and maimed many others?
Why would they feel nerves, THEY’RE JUST DOING WHAT THEY’RE PAID FOR!
coley wrote: Cant see a win either way in the semis, maybe penalties after 2 draws
You’d think Mystic Meg would have something better to do with her time...
I have a cheque here, made out in the name of the Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth, for £1000. I will send it if your prediction comes true. I will do this on the proviso that, if your above prediction does not come to fruition, it is YOU who will make the donation. Let’s see how confident in your own depression and guesswork you are now.

Sorry Brucie, it seems you’re wrong. Oh well, I suspect after the life you’ve so obviously had, you’re used to it.
brucie wrote:typically by the morons on here [coley] has been called an idiot for it.
Since you’re chief moron, I suggest you get your house in order.
brucie wrote:three points out of the last fifteen is terrible given the good position we were in.
Answered above, you know, with logic and maths and facts and stuff. Don’t worry Brucie, you can carry on just blurting out baseless, emotionally driven nonsense, we’d all be a little concerned that you’d had a stroke if you stopped now.
brucie wrote:"Bottle" isn't scoring two goals when you are three down
I think you’ll find that this is almost the very definition of ‘bottle’. Our performance against Hereford (especially in the second half) should have been rewarded with a handsome victory, but that’s football, sometimes you don’t get what you deserve, bottle or no bottle.
brucie wrote: hereford have been relegated for a reson ie they are clueless.
Here we have a Brucie classic. Football is played on grass, not paper, and as even Awayday’s very young daughter knows, at this stage of the season, the form book goes out of the window. Wigan have beaten Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool and have been cheated out of beating Chelsea too. Are you telling me that all those illustrious teams, with their years and years of experience in these situations ‘bottled’ it?

Well, that’s definitely enough procrastination, time to fill in stupid bridging module paperwork and visa application forms (little insight into my world there, sorry about that).

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"