cheltenham town v torquay united - 13/5/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

What was wrong with Stevens yesterday, out of interest?

If he's fit for Thursday, him and Morris on the wings, Jarvis and Atieno down the middle as we did at Hereford in the second half.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

NickGull wrote:What was wrong with Stevens yesterday, out of interest?

If he's fit for Thursday, him and Morris on the wings, Jarvis and Atieno down the middle as we did at Hereford in the second half.
He picked up a virus the day before I believe.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i think it's all been said in previous posts, but figured i'd add my two penny worth.

one word sums it up for me - disappointing. it was like watching the AFC Wimbledon match all over again. Started reasonably well, but we really need to score when we create early (half) chances, as the longer the game went on, the more desperate we looked. The two cheltenham centre backs looked pretty shaky, and were clearly going to struggle with Rene, but we lost out attacking momentum when he went off. He does the lone striker role so well, but Tai doesn't. 99% of the balls that went to Tai invariably resulted in Cheltenham winning the ball back. He just cannot hold the ball up and protect it well enough - not a direct criticism, he tried, but he's not the same type of player as Rene. If we are without Rene, i'd much prefer us to play two up front. We lost our width, all too often Jarvis came in field and we had nothing down the right. I thought Jarvis played pretty well all things considered, but maybe he should have gone up top with Tai out right. Despite some recent poor performances, i honestly think we missed Danny.

cheltenham had done their homework, and exploited Nico's lack of pace. Nico worked hard as he always does, but he had very little help with their right winger. Maybe having LRT on the left from the start to help him out would've been an option. Our centre midfield was poor. Manse gave his usual hard working performance, but all three of them were guilty of poor passing and giving the ball away far too much.

Saah played well again, and Ellis was largely ok, but at times we left big gaps for their forwards, typified by their second goal. Bobby had little to do, other than picking the ball out of the net twice - neither of which he could do much about.

my heart says we can still do it, but my head says we won't beat them by three goals. I think we'll beat them, but not by three. even if we sneak extra time, i don't think we've got the legs to see it through. Easy to say now, but maybe it would have been best to leave Rene out yesterday in the hope he'd be ok for thursday, because losing him definitely disrupted us yesterday, and my guess is he won't play at all on thursday now.

so, disappointing, but hugely proud of the players, the management and the club for a "much better than expected" season, which isn't over yet, but if it ends on Thursday, it's still been a great effort. :-D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

NickGull wrote:What was wrong with Stevens yesterday, out of interest?

He had the two bob bits all night, he looked white as a sheet on Sunday.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

royalgull wrote: Well done for getting the quote completely arse about face. Especially as it's a whopping two posts above this one.

our other forwards are substandard at BEST and simply not good enough at WORST, whichever case scenario you really want to look at it.
My point was that 'substandard' means the same thing as 'not good enough' (so it doesn't really matter which way round I got it!)

I could also point to a long afternoon at the pub and a gallon of Fosters... :Oops:
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I was trying to be polite with substandard with not good enough being the more honest assesment.

Ultimately whichever way you dress it up, our forward line = ALARM BELLS

But fair enough :)
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

I agree. I was going to call Atieno the worst TUFC player since Jody Banim, but then I remembered Chris McPhee.

Get well soon Rene!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I brought my mate along to a game where Jody Banim was playing and he thought he was the best player on the park, a real box of tricks.

He never could judge a player well!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...