LRT on his way?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

LRT on his way?

Post by CP Gull »

Shame, if as seems to be the case he doesn't want to sign a new contract. It doesn't take much reading between the lines based on the comments made by Martin Ling on the OS to come to that conclusion, which is one of the reasons why Lingy was looking at young Davies from Cardiff City last night.

I think LRT has improved a lot this season and you can usually rely on him to do a job when introduced late on in the game. His ability to run at defenders has proved an effective weapon in a number of matches. But I guess the fact that he can't see a way past Nico and force his way into a regular first team slot coupled with the fact that it appears that Torquay is just a little bit too "quiet" for his liking will more than likely see him moving on , probably (not unlike Billy Kee) somewhere closer to home (Leicester?) I would guess.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

yeah, seems like a good lad, so would be a shame if he moved on. but like any player, they want to be playing, so all the best to him if he does go. i thought he might get a good run in the team this year, but the fact he hasn't is testament to the excellent season Nico has had.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Hope he stays, as our team lacks players with natural athleticism about them, but I think he'll probably want to move on. He must know he's not going to edge past Nico in the near future, and, like any young pro, he just wants to be playing regular football. While he might be the natural successor to Nico at LB i doubt he wants to hang around for 2-3 years when Nico will probably get a tad past his best.

That said, there might be cheaper options available for us in the market, with the most likely answer being some hungry youth academy rejects that want to work at their game. And Ling has performed well in the transfer market so far. Olejnik is a cut above this level and Morris has experience at a higher level than ours.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

no fee i assume if he's run his short (12 month) contract down, i can completely see his point, if he's not in st martins plans then we have to respect that, hes not let us down yet has he!
still keeping the faith
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

sounds as if lingy would like him to stay, but the mere fact he's made it public suggests to me Snoop is not going to be here next season. Either way, Lingy is planning ahead, and come what may, i feel a lot better about the future of our club than i did a year ago.

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 42,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brady

I Wish I Was There
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

It would be a shame, he is one of only a very small number of players who have really given us any option from the bench this year.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

In a season where 'unsung' heroes like Oastler and Lathrope have been 'sung' profusely for their outstanding contributions, I think it is actually LRT who has become the unsung hero.

His introductions when we’ve been leading have often seen us over the line, with the regrettable exception of last weekend.

For so many seasons we've lamented our inability to hold on to winning positions in the closing stages, but in games like at home to Swindon and away at Plymouth, Crawley and Barnet his driving runs have been invaluable. At Underhill he pretty much had possession of the ball for the full 4 mins of added time.

Whilst it'd hardly be a surprise if he leaves us to move back to the Leicester-area, it'd be a real a challenge to find an equally able understudy/replacement for Nicho.