MEMORIES

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bruciesbootcleaner

MEMORIES

Post by bruciesbootcleaner »

following on from my " COWSHED" anecdote,
here`s a few more, the older of us might remember;
"snip cornish" selling the herald express inside the ground on match day, shouting "floods in brixham snowing in newton abbot"
tip top lemonade bottle`s sold from the canteen`s
the brixham boys band, strutting their stuff before home games,
spaz chariots lined up inside the barriers at the babbacombe end,
double decker buses parked in derwent road,
red & green leather cushions in the main grandstand for the posh people,
ben street dressed up in his matchday best to personally look after the directors of both sides,
the white painted directors box,
the smell of linament in homelands lane on match day,
westward diary camera`s & don arnold,
orange colour mitre matchday footballs,
11.00am kick off`s on easter monday`s
leaving plainmoor on a greycars or wallace arnold coach friday eve at 7.30pm to make the saturday 3.00pm kick off at darlington!!
memories eh!!!
Last edited by bruciesbootcleaner on 01 May 2012, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

I can remember all of that but, as an ex Homelands lad, I'd like to remember it as Homelands Lane. ^.^

Okay with everything apart from the use of the word "spaz". :-/

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

yes i remember all that, snow covered pitch on boxing day against the cornishmen beat them 2-1 in front of 15,000 ish crowd around 1968, double decker football special buses from newton abbot full up every game, being able to walk all the way around the ground, old men in flat caps smoking woodbines and us kids with our football rattles and beating villa on several occasions, andy donnelly in goal, HAPPY DAYS!
bruciesbootcleaner

Northumbergull wrote:I can remember all of that but, as an ex Homelands lad, I'd like to remember it as Homelands Lane. ^.^

Okay with everything apart from the use of the word "spaz". :-/

Cheers

Bruce
your right mate, homelands lane it was, as for spaz chariots thats how everyone including the owners, described at the time!
different times, different meanings! not meant to offend,
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Northumbergull »

bbc

Glad to see we've moved on, you're right there... :nod:

We were a privileged lot at Homelands in the 70s, I was there 71-78, as the team would often use our newly-built gym to train in if the weather was inclement. Sort of a special bond between the club and the school in those days.

Cheers

Bruce
bruciesbootcleaner

Northumbergull wrote:bbc

Glad to see we've moved on, you're right there... :nod:

We were a privileged lot at Homelands in the 70s, I was there 71-78, as the team would often use our newly-built gym to train in if the weather was inclement. Sort of a special bond between the club and the school in those days.

Cheers

Bruce
bruce, you would remember claude fawcett butler, freda gass, nobby horne & soggy orton to name but a few!!!
AdelaideGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by AdelaideGull »

And Rocky Kenyon, Mr Brown - Geography (Mine and Brucie's form teacher) Stella? The English teacher, "Gut" Appleby and Trissy Triance the French Master..... To name a few!!
AdelaideGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by AdelaideGull »

More memories - buying a football "pink" after the game from Sammy Collins newsagents half way down Forest road,, Chips from Cryil's in Plainmoor (Robbie Brokenshire's dad). Late sixties seeing TUFC players in Cosy's Corner Cafe after training.... Collecting "vim to" bottles in the cowshed for the penny return on the glass bottles........ Ah jumpers for goalposts, which would bring me onto the Cabbge Patch outside Homelands Technical high!!!!
bruciesbootcleaner

AdelaideGull wrote:More memories - buying a football "pink" after the game from Sammy Collins newsagents half way down Forest road,, Chips from Cryil's in Plainmoor (Robbie Brokenshire's dad). Late sixties seeing TUFC players in Cosy's Corner Cafe after training.... Collecting "vim to" bottles in the cowshed for the penny return on the glass bottles........ Ah jumpers for goalposts, which would bring me onto the Cabbge Patch outside Homelands Technical high!!!!
chips & scribbles from cyril`s in plainmoor plenty of salt & vinegar, enough to make the real newspaper wrapping go soggy!!!
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Northumbergull »

Stop it! Stop it, or I'm gonna cry! :whip:

Yep, I remember ALL those teachers and Cyril's too! When I moved up here I asked for "scribbles" and they wondered what the heck I was on about, hahahaha! :~D

As for the "cabbage patch", I remember taking off our jumpers at lunchtime, as well as playing footy on the top playground outside the woodwork/metalwork rooms, opposite the ground. It was from there that in the winter, when we saw steam coming out of the changing room windows after the team had been training, that we used to lob snowballs in through the window and run like hell down Homelands Lane! When we joined up with Westhill (?1972/73?), the maids thought it was great fun as there was always a chance of one of the lads haring after us with only a towel to cover their privates!

Good times indeed!

Cheers

Bruce
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

I had a neighbour in Kingsteignton who went to Westlands back in the late 60's/early 70's. Graham Rooke was his name and he used to tell us all about seeing the players at Plainmoor training. We all thought it wierd that we all went to Kingsteignton Secondary and he went all the way to Westlands. Anyway the old cowshed and the old guy who chainsmoked "HOOOOOO!!!!" he used to shout. I'v talked about him on here years ago. Walking up from Castle Circus after catching a normal Torquay bus from Newton Abbot bus station. As you got closer to Plainmoor you could hear the music and taste the atmosphere under the lights on those Saturday night kick offs. Loved em!!! 6 or 7,000 at those games with Robin Stubbs, Micky Cave and Mike Donnelly as our heroes. Thems waz the days!!!!!! ^.^
Oblivion!!!!
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

any body on the double decker football special that was going back to newton after we lost 2 nil to bournemouth, ted macdougall scoring the goals,they went up as champions, after the game the bus was set upon by there fans , luckily i was on the top deck, with people like bill brock, buster hammett, nick major and the winter brothers from ashburton, think this was early seventies, we had mike mahoney in goal then .
bruciesbootcleaner

come on trojan, you must have more than most!
"drinking" in the torquay united social club with franny lee,( when you were 15years old )
spotting the "king" robin stubbs in ellacombe & actually talking too him!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

You must be confusing me with somebody else, all that was before my time.

:devil: o:)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

I remember my grandad telling me that him and trojan use to watch torquay play at cricketfield road before they moved to plainmoor.. :rofl: