Hereford United v Torquay United - 5/5/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Been sitting here tonight reflecting on 'what ifs' - quite a few of them over the last few weeks, really. Biggest one is last week's game. But then, Stefano's post sums it all up, we have done amazingly well this season, better than I thought we'd do, so am not horrendously disappointed about today's game. My main concern is that we're burnt out/demoralised going into the Play Offs - need a statto to see how often a team coming up into the p/o's has gone up?

Anyway, well done to the lads for staging a bit of a 2nd half comeback. We were always up against it after Bruce and Louis checked out the live tables...
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

We were always up against it after Bruce and Louis checked out the live tables...
Hahahahaha!
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You would put us as favourites if we were to play Southend. You are nuts.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Gotta admit that i agree with Brucie here. IMO Southend are the team i want to avoid. We are better than Cheltenham AND better than Crewe but Crewe are in some sort of form and are a young, fearless side. Cheltenham are just shit. Southend are one dimensional but a strong unit and have obvious attacking threat. If we get to the final and get Southend then so be it but i'd rather face Crewe.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

bixieupnorth wrote:we should bombard the bbc with tweets and emails and hopefully by time FL show is on they'll have to concede that they bought their way up

what happened to that nice girl who used to read out letters?? i guess she was axed as part of the cuts?
She was a bit cruddy and rightfully got the boot? =D
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

ferrarilover wrote:IF, and it's a massive if, we get Southend in the final, I'll make us favorites. They were complete and absolute garbage when they came to our place recently. They weren't any better against Plymouth (I went), and that Mosni t**t is always likely to get sent off.

Crewe are a very good side, but they had to get a bit (very) lucky to get a point.

The playoffs are a lottery, none of what has gone before really matters. To write us off is daft (and in some cases, predictable to the point of tedium). To liken it to another 'coin tods' moment, and for those who know, it's a little like getting it all in pre flop with a small pair and facing an opponent with AK, it's a race. If he hits, you lose, if he doesn't, you win, simples.

As for today's game, it once again showed our wastefulness in front of goal. I remarked to m'companion with about 10 minutes to go that, given the chances we had had up to that point, Swindon would have scored 8. We created so many chances today, and did feck all with them. Why do we never, EVER, score a goal mouth scramble? I can't recall a single one in the last 8 years, if anyone can think of one, please let me know.

Finally, kudos to Rene Howe, who took the time to shake hands with everyone he could at the end of the match.
Matt.
Agreed I was one of the privileged.

Also lovely to have a proper chat with Forever. If you could post that link regards the 71/72 season I would be more than happy to prove my dad wrong!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I really wouldnt under estimate Cheltenham. I wouldnt be surprised if they turn us over. Especially if we produce the same performance we did in the first half today we were woeful. Improved Second Half but three goals was just too much for us.

And on another note what a rediculous kick off time for the away game at Cheltenham. 12 O'Clock kick off on a Sunday, Delightful.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:You would put us as favourites if we were to play Southend. You are nuts.
Remember I mentioned tedium...

Were you at the Southend game a couple of weeks ago?

*awaits answer that will never come*

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

So we go into the playoffs having picked up 15 points in the last 10 games.

Cheltenham only picked up 13 in the same period but they at least have won some games recently, which is more than us. The momentum I'm afraid is with them but more significantly with both the teams in the other semi final.

Doesn't look like we will get to Wembley let alone win promotion - it feels a bit like the end of the first BSP season when Exeter had the momentum and look what happened to them - another promotion the following season.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

In my opinion (been this way a few weeks) Crewe are favourites massively on form, pacey, decent passing side and got a potent attack. Would not like to play them on a big wembley pitch.

I would fancy our chances in a one off against southend. As we looked most likely against them other week.

But we have to get past cheltenham first, dont think that will be as easy as people think.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Rach »

Northumbergull wrote:I trust our fans are being generous to Hereford and not singing, "Going down?"

Ah, well, Wembley again...

Cheers

Bruce

It was sung for a couple of minutes
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Not sure why but it's so negative at mo!! Football is a funny old game and anything can happen!! Who woulda thought 'little' Torquay would have finished 5th come the end of the season or even still be in with a chance of auto's come the last game?! If someone had told me right back at the beginning and especially when we were going through that crap spell that we could finish 5th, i woulda snapped their hand off!!

Were still in with a massive chance and who knows, hopefully our dip in form ended at half time today and we'll now carry on as we left off when the whistle went to begin the second half!! I'm as dissapointed as anyone else that we couldn't quite nab that 3rd spot but hey-ho, no point in being downbeat about it, what's happened has happened!!

We've proven this season we can hold our own against anyone in his league so these play-off games are Gunna be no different. Reckon lingy's got a tough choice on his hands now though, does he break his 4-5-1 duct which has been so reliable or does he reward Atieno and Jarvis with a start upfront (as they both showed today how willing they are and how well they played considering they both came off the bench) and go 4-4-2??

This is Torquay though, we all know how much we enjoy doing stuff the hard way!! I'm chuffed to bits with the boys this season and they fully deserve our support what ever happens!!

And as a side note, totally agree with Andy's rant about the programme, was bloody awful!! My 7 year old daughter could have done a better job and put more informative stuff+articles in there and charge £2.50!!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ferrarilover wrote: Remember I mentioned tedium...

Were you at the Southend game a couple of weeks ago?

*awaits answer that will never come*

Matt.
If I had never seen the result today I would of known the outcome just on the fact brucie has posted. He only post when we lose. Sad man if you ask me.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Rach »

tufc si wrote:Not sure why but it's so negative at mo!! Football is a funny old game and anything can happen!! Who woulda thought 'little' Torquay would have finished 5th come the end of the season or even still be in with a chance of auto's come the last game?! If someone had told me right back at the beginning and especially when we were going through that crap spell that we could finish 5th, i woulda snapped their hand off!!

Were still in with a massive chance and who knows, hopefully our dip in form ended at half time today and we'll now carry on as we left off when the whistle went to begin the second half!! I'm as dissapointed as anyone else that we couldn't quite nab that 3rd spot but hey-ho, no point in being downbeat about it, what's happened has happened!!

We've proven this season we can hold our own against anyone in his league so these play-off games are Gunna be no different. Reckon lingy's got a tough choice on his hands now though, does he break his 4-5-1 duct which has been so reliable or does he reward Atieno and Jarvis with a start upfront (as they both showed today how willing they are and how well they played considering they both came off the bench) and go 4-4-2??

This is Torquay though, we all know how much we enjoy doing stuff the hard way!! I'm chuffed to bits with the boys this season and they fully deserve our support what ever happens!!

And as a side note, totally agree with Andy's rant about the programme, was bloody awful!! My 7 year old daughter could have done a better job and put more informative stuff+articles in there and charge £2.50!!

programme was dire, at least it wasn't £3 though!!
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

You have to go back a month or so when Torquay were sitting second in the league 4 points in front of Crawley admittedly Crawley they had two games in hand but we had a chance to strengthen the squad by the loan market but lingy believed the current squad can do the job and the only player he would bring back was Bodin and we all know where he ended up.This may well come back to bite us in the end as our small squad may burn out in the next few weeks and I'm not sure i can take the heartache of losing in the play offs two years in a row.
As pointed out by previous post here if you think Torquay can go one better next year ( if they fail again in the playoffs this year ) you better think again as their are bigger clubs that us in this league with open pockets and they will not want to be in this league next season Rotherham, Gillingham for example.