Lets think Positive

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Lets think Positive

Post by lucy6lucy »

The agony of losing a injury time goal, on reflection we must remain positive.

1. Crawley should have won so a draw for us would have meant next weeks match giving us no chance...we are still in it
2. A win yesterday would still have meant we had to win at Hereford as Southend will win next sat, regardless of Crawley result
3. Accie getting hammered against the gas doesnt bode well for next week, but they will be on the rebound and that is fact after hearing their managers post match comments
4. If we do get pipped by Crawley and Southend then we have Cheltenham in the playoffs, I would prefer them than Crewe(unlikely to be Oxford)
5. Would you taken this scenario in July??? ...hmmm yes i think so, so lets be positive
5. This is Torquay, did we really expect things to go smoothly, it will be some match next Saturday, I can see red cards in this match and at Accrington. Its game on and even if we dont do it, we still the playoffs :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Lucy
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Positive, negative, I know I'm in for a shock next week.

I'm hoping it's a joyous one. :-D

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

It is the last game of the season, Accrington will not want to play badly in front of their own fans in their last game. Whether they will be able to get a result, who knows, but I don't think we will see a repeat of their performance yesterday. It is a difficult ground for away teams, for all sorts of reasons, and I am happy that Crawley have their last game up there. I can only hope that true colours show here, preferably red ones for Crawley players on a card waved by the ref.

We are capable of winning at Hereford, but they will be so up for it. I agree that there is a serious risk of red cards here too. I am sure Lingy will hammer in to the players the need to keep their cool. I feel sure that Southend will beat Macclesfield at home next week, so a draw at Hereford won't be enough.

Squeaky bum time yet again, but I have lost count of the number of times the last game of the season has been vitally important for the Gulls (most seasons in fact!). I would hate to see Southend go up, they are hardly exponents of the beautiful game (Sturrock's teams never are). I would particularly hate to see Crawley go up, for obvious reasons. We will see, we're still in it and we should all stay realistically optimistic!!
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Hear hear,

I think the main objective yesterday was to make sure there was something to play for next week and that was acheived however gutting you look at how the table might have looked. We have the toughest game imo, and although I can certainly see Accers holding Crawley i wouldnt be surprised to see Sarfend get the third spot as they will surely hammer Macclesfield.
However, it will certainly be a cracker jack atmosphere at Edgar street and i'm glad i got my ticket a few weeks ago as it will be fascinating to watch the game unfold with all the permutations at the top and bottom of the league.

Roll on saturday!!!
TUST #324
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

I think we might well have blown it yesterday. Its gutting as I thought we deserved to win. We played great football at times and defended fairly well as a unit against the pace and movement of crewes forward line. We just sat back too early and was not relieving pressure. I think we were naive, should have been slowing play down and putting ball in corner. That blow will have devastated the team and lingy will do well to lift the lads.

On the flip-side I was expecting us to draw and crawley most likely to win at the broadfield. As much as we have let 2 chances to get beyond crawley slip we have been unlucky in last few games (oxford-wrongly disallowed goal/s, southend-should have had player sent off, crewe-how much extra time did he want to play) so are due some. Whatever happens we have play-offs and today we looked like form was returning. The club is moving forward on and off the pitch and we have a fantastic manager
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by popside_yidlad »

I think we might well have blown it yesterday. Its gutting as I thought we deserved to win. We played great football at times and defended fairly well as a unit against the pace and movement of crewes forward line. We just sat back too early and was not relieving pressure. I think we were naive, should have been slowing play down and putting ball in corner. That blow will have devastated the team and lingy will do well to lift the lads.

On the flip-side I was expecting us to draw and crawley most likely to win at the broadfield. As much as we have let 2 chances to get beyond crawley slip we have been unlucky in last few games (oxford-wrongly disallowed goal/s, southend-should have had player sent off, crewe-how much extra time did he want to play) so are due some. Whatever happens we have play-offs and today we looked like form was returning. The club is moving forward on and off the pitch and we have a fantastic manager
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Here are my reasons for thinking we'll go up automatically:

1. Although Crawley will have got a fillip from Crewe's late goal, that doesn't mask just how shite they were in their game yesterday. :lol:

2. Hereford will REALLY have to come at us, thereby leaving holes in their defence. As the match progresses they will have to do this more and more as ONLY a win will do for them. If we are patient, they will push more players forward. We, on the other hand, still have a chance of promotion even if we lose - i.e. we don't need to risk such a push ourselves. :nod:

3. When push comes to shove, Crawley are a team moulded by Steve Evans. As far as discipline goes, there can only be one way of them winning next weekend. With any luck, their true colours will shine through and they'll finish the game with seven men! :red:

4. Am I correct in thinking that we still have a full squad to choose from? :clown:

Will be listening in from Northumberland, COYY! :scarf:

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

With all due respect, we can be as positive as we like but we can't beat Hereford or make Accrington players beat or draw against Crawley. Only the two sets of respective players can do that i'm afraid. I know this reply is a bit pedantic and i'm not usually like that but thinking positive isn't going to affect the situation. Giving our full support at Hereford is though and thats all we can physically do to try and gee up our lads to get three points.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by popside_yidlad »

Just a small gripe from yesterday.
1) Bodin should have been applauded once then blanked or booed its not like he was here a few years just a few months. Altho he did do well for us.

2) Stop constantly singing about crawley score and get behind OUR team. Of course the score will affect the mood but once hereford had gone 2 up there should have been a wall of noise in support for the lads. Had that been the case we might well have pushed team out a bit.

Just a quick note for the superstitious. When we went up to League 1 I was listening to the game on portable radio, walkin nervously round torquay. When the final whistle went I was literally outside what is now my home (it wasnt at the time) hopefully history can repeat itself.
biffo
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: rene howe

Post by biffo »

popside_yidlad wrote:I think we might well have blown it yesterday. Its gutting as I thought we deserved to win. We played great football at times and defended fairly well as a unit against the pace and movement of crewes forward line. We just sat back too early and was not relieving pressure. I think we were naive, should have been slowing play down and putting ball in corner. That blow will have devastated the team and lingy will do well to lift the lads.

couldn't agree more - whatever happens this club is moving in the right direction under lingy and the board...
lingy already planning for next season (easton ?)... :)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It was a great performance yesterday, but, we need to score more goals. We cannot fall back into our own half to defend one-goal leads, particularly against teams like Crewe, and expect to win every time. Attack is always the best form of defence.

The Gulls have a great defence - only Swindon and Shrewsbury have conceded fewer goals than us. But we have scored fewer goals over the season than any of the top seven. Only Crewe has a worse goal difference, and we have gone four games without a win. We must score more goals.

Yet we are still in with a great chance of promotion. Two chances, if you include the play-offs. We must win at Hereford. But Crawley, Southend and Hereford, not to mention Crewe, all know that they too must win their games. They will all be affected by nerves. The Gulls may be, too. But all we need to do is to stop worrying about other teams, turn negativity into determination, focus on the game, produce the performance we're capable of, and win, not by sitting back to defend a solitary goal and ending up with a 1-1 draw, but by attacking and scoring throughout.

Give the lads our full support and cheer them on to promotion. :scarf:
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

We did score more goals but Ref and Lino robbed us!
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

I'm taking positives from the remarkable similarities to that 03/04 season.

The penultimate game was a home game against Kidderminster, which we conspired to draw 1-1 after a late-ish equaliser, missing the opportunity to go ahead of Huddersfield in 3rd who'd slipped up. It looked like we'd blown our chance.

I remember setting off for Southend on that Saturday morning thinking there was no chance we would get promoted. Not a hope in hell. And we all know what happened. I'll be there at Hereford (tickets permitting), and I honestly think there's no reason we can't do this. Much rather be going to Hereford needing a result than Accrington, that's for sure!

And just in case anyone needs a bit of lifting today:

[youtube]v6FbNMEMfhU[/youtube]

:scarf:
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

:whistle:
miltonkeynesgull wrote:I'm taking positives from the remarkable similarities to that 03/04 season.

The penultimate game was a home game against Kidderminster, which we conspired to draw 1-1 after a late-ish equaliser, missing the opportunity to go ahead of Huddersfield in 3rd who'd slipped up. It looked like we'd blown our chance.

I remember setting off for Southend on that Saturday morning thinking there was no chance we would get promoted. Not a hope in hell. And we all know what happened. I'll be there at Hereford (tickets permitting), and I honestly think there's no reason we can't do this. Much rather be going to Hereford needing a result than Accrington, that's for sure!

And just in case anyone needs a bit of lifting today:

:scarf:
Ah i'd give my right arm to go through that again saturday!! I cant wait, counting down the hours till 3pm next week already!!