Torquay United v Crewe Alexandra - 28/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Tai didn't strike me as being particularly lazy, I noticed him chasing down a couple of balls. However, he didn't suffer comparison with Rene. A few months ago there was debate about how should start. I think recently Rene has shown how good he is. Nothing against Tai who I think is a worthy member of the squad.
TUST number 080
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Austriangull
The lino in the first half put his flag up for offside on numerous occasions when the ball reached the striker. MESSAGE TO LINO - It is offside when a player is in an offside position WHEN the ball is played and not when the ball reaches it's intended target. This happens a lot with officials. The ref was a tit and i honestly believe that the time added on was intended to be a punishment for Rene when he was subbed as he appeared to take the piss taking a long time to walk and laughing and joking.

I'm no fan of the current interpretation & grey areas concerning offside, but I'm not certain that linesman are instructed to flag when the ball is played. It seems that they delay until the player in an offside position becomes 'active'. The old days of, you're either in an offside position or you're not, were certainly much easier to follow.
On one occasion during the first half of yesterdays match a high diagonal ball was played into the box & I think it was Morris who jumped to challenge the keeper & the defender for the ball. Initially it looked as though Morris & possibly the defender had clashed heads or got injured in the challenge, but they both recovered. The linesman however, only flagged for offside as Morris was about to jump to challenge for the ball (become 'active' I suppose). At least 2 players could have ended up hurt as a result of a pointless challenge that was going to be flagged for offside anyway! As you say, had the flag gone up when the ball was kicked, the whistle would have been blown for offside & the challenge & potential injury would never have taken place.

When Atieno comes on more often than not it's to replace Rene; we've seen it plenty of times. So with the game stopped for the substitution, Tai stripped off & ready to come on, the board being held held up, what does Rene do ?... he starts walking towards the Popside to ensure he will have a longer journey off the field.
Then the PA announces he is coming off to be replaced by Tai & what does Rene do ?....stands there like a statue pretending he doesn't know what number he is.
The Crewe players start to lose their rag & complain to the Ref. Then Rene did that little shake of the head as if to finally cotton on that it is actually him who has to leave the pitch... but not before he indulges in a hugfest with half his team mates first. The Crewe players are now getting seriously annoyed & so is the Ref, to the extent that he issues the yellow card to Howe & can probably do no more than promise the Crewe players he'll 'add time on'.

We're all used to the standard 2 or 3 minutes of added time. No way do I believe there should have been 4 minutes added on yesterday. At best I'd say the Ref decided to round the time up to 4 minutes rather than down to 3, but more likely that was, as you suggest, a response to Rene's piss taking antics.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers for the info about the offsides Alpine. My interpretation of the rules are somwhat limited but i always thought it was when the ball is played but you're right, it's all about being active or inactive nowadays. If you're on the bloody pitch then you're active is what i say!! Ha!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'm gutted, but our inability to finish off some of the chances in the second half cost us. I thought we'd done enough with the penalty and them hitting the bar, and how good would it have been having it in our own hands. Just 30 seconds, had we have cleared that attack we'd have done it. :(

Still, can't wait for next week now. Desperate that Accy do us a favour.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

having had 24hrs, and a considerable number of post-match beers, i feel i can now pass a more rational view on yesterdays proceedings. i've literally just got back home, so haven't read through all previous posts yet. apologies in advance if i'm repeating other peoples comments.

i left the ground feeling pretty p'd off, like most others i imagine. i'm still pretty annoyed now, because i am 100% convinced the referee played too much time in that second half. we had the 45 minutes up a good 3-4 minutes before the board went up to indicate a ridiculous 4 added minutes. considering in the first half, there were a couple of stoppages involving the physio coming on, and a substitution, the first half only had 2mins added, so how the hell did he find 4mins (which became about 8-9mins) to add on in the 2nd half, where other than the penalty, and substitutions, the play barely stopped. and Rene got booked for timewasting, when their keeper had been d**king around at every goal kick until we scored.

all in all, despite our performance (which was infinitely better than the previous week at AFCW), maybe a draw was a fair result. what hurts though, is conceeding so late. in a way, i wish they had scored the penalty, as i'm convinced we would still have won the game with 15mins or so to get a winner. we missed good chances and maybe should have put the game to bed, but they missed a penalty (or more accurately - bobby made a great save from the penalty), they hit the bar, and at times we were defending and scrapping for our lives, so maybe crewe would feel they did enough to deserve a point.

i was behind the goal, so had no view as to whether Rene was offside when Eunan blocked a pass, which inadvertantly put him through on goal, but it must've been close. the melee in the goal mouth at the very end, it was arms and legs everywhere, so how the ref saw one offence in there, to warrant a free kick to crewe, i just don't know. the keeper did not appear to have the ball in his hands, from my view, but just rolled dramatically into the net as if he'd been pole-axed, but lets face it, he was a **** for the entire match. i had a perfect view of that ball hitting him square in the chops, and that must've hurt like hell, which was bloody funny, but on another day, could've ended up in the net.

i think LRT was a lucky boy not to get a red, but then again, he was hardly the only one in the mix, so credit the ref there for showing some sense (or maybe he just didn't see that either - he was all of 18 inches away).

the players looked gutted at the end, understandably so. ML and ST have got to raise them for next week, but with them two, and the big characters in the dressing room, i am in no doubt the boys will be ready for hereford.

unfortunately, 3 points from the last avaialble 12 has damaged our chances, but yesterdays performance definitely gives us hope.

it's vitally important to reproduce yesterdays performance, even if in the end, it's not enough to get us into third. two good performances and a return to form of our players, will be a major factor and confidence boost going into the play-offs.

the fat lady isn't singing yet (she's moved to rotherham of course), but come what may next week, it's been an amazing season. we can still do it - COYY !!!!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Crewefaninpeace
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Nick Powell

Post by Crewefaninpeace »

Well, what can i say! an outstanding game of football and a great advertisement for league 2 football. In all honesty i sincerely hope you do it next week, because I would much prefer to play creepy, or even Southend in the PO. For the penalty i deffiantely think that powell was brought down as he was all game.(happens every game) Cant comment on the goal you had ruled out for ovbious reasons, it was a scramble and i was over 100 metres away, and i was still celebrating <!> Thought Howe caused roblems in the air and the small tricky buggar out wide! Overall i think it was a fair result with two teams who play the game in the right way, All the best! :goal:
traveller gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: olejnic

Post by traveller gull »

powell was oustanding for you yesterday cracking player who will leave for big money.as for the game great advert for league 2. where torquay dragged that performance from i dont know having looked like we had compleatly shot our bolt at afc wimbledon we played very well however a draw was a fair result and we move on to hereford. As for sat cant see crawley slipping up again so its the play offs for me where we will again likely face crewe or cheltenham well i know who ide rather face cheltenham will be tough but not half as tough as a very well drilled crewe side who at times where a pleasure to watch yesterday. Hovever i dont think either side would beat southend so in a very strange kinda way ime hoping if ourselves and crawley slip up southend go up next weekend i think we would beat crawley southend ime afraid would beat us simply cos they are such a physical outfit and would eventually grind us down. However its been a wonderful season a pleasue to watch and enjoy so whatever happens btween now and 5pm sat well done to all concerned at plainmoor you have all done us proud. stephen gulls travel club
Crewefaninpeace
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Nick Powell

Post by Crewefaninpeace »

Been linked with Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and we all dont know what is going to hapen with powell come end of the season, just hope hes notching another goal next season at plainmoor in league one :) does anybody know the offical away following from crewe yesterday? seemed both your sides were well packed out and from where i was standing looked to be a decent amout from us considering the distance & money involved.
traveller gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: olejnic

Post by traveller gull »

u had 561 fans crowd where a few short of 4000
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I was right in line ,and have no problem saying the lino was spot on to flag Rene off side, he was atleast a yard off if not more.
Formerly known as forevertufc