Torquay United v Crewe Alexandra - 28/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Crewe Alexandra - 28/4/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Well folks, THIS IS IT! Our final home league game of the 2011/12 season and what a season it has been. Of course we may yet have another home game before the season is out but i'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Whatever happens over the course of 90 odd minutes on saturday, we must remember the disarray at the club pre-season and thank everyone connected with the club for providing us with such a memorable season and achieving at least a play off spot. A remarkable achievement and one which the most optimistic of Gulls fans would have struggled to foresee before we kicked that first ball against Burton Albion. Thankyou to Martin, the players, the board, staff and fans.

Now onto the serious stuff. Crewe Alexandra at home, a game that a few months ago would have held no fears for me but since the appointment of Steve Davis ( the manager not snooker player! ) for 'Mr Crewe' Dario Gradi, who was sacked or 'moved upstairs' soon after our scintillating 3-0 win at Gresty Road, the Railwaymen have surged up the table and now occupy the last play off berth. Crewe have 70 points and are 2 points ahead of Oxford who have tricky games left at home to Southend and away at Port Vale. Crewe play at home against Aldershot on the last day so a defeat at Plainmoor wouldn't be the end of the world for them and their play off ambitions.

That said, when i began delving into the stats involving Crewe i started to have a mini panic attack and had to go outside for some deep breathing exercises! :O

CREWE HAVE ONLY LOST ONCE IN 15!!! TO SOUTHEND AWAY!! :-/

Little wonder they are the team who have come late and fast into the play-off reckoning. Make no bones about it, these are serious opponents and will relish the opportunity of coming to Plainmoor to continue their good form and cement their place in the play-offs. If we start this game sluggishly and on the back foot then we could be in for a long old afternoon. They have lost 8 away games however, won 9 and drawn 5 so there is some scope for optimism but the most eye-catching stats is that they have gone 52 games without registering a 0-0 draw. Incredible!

Last season at Plainmoor we won 2-1 on a tuesday night in front of just 1,955 spectators. I somehow feel that there will be slightly more people crammed into our small and compact ground come 3pm saturday. Zebroski and O'Kane scored for us on that night and O'Kane also netted a brace in our 3-3 draw up there last season so a speculative punt on O'Kane for 1st goalscorer may be order. What do you reckon Bix?

Crewe have a lot of young players, teenagers too that have come up through the ranks in true Crewe style including 18 year old top scorer Nick Powell who has 14 goals in all comps. AJ Leitch-Smith is also a youth product and has spent time on loan at Icelandic cub IBV who, just for footy anoraks out there, play on the Westmann Islands - a tiny island off the south coast of Iceland. He has 7 goals this season in all comps and Byron Moore is another dangerous and nippy forward/winger and he has 9 goals i all comps. They also have former Gulls loanee Billy Bodin who is a dangerous player and well used to the Plainmoor surrounds. He will get a good reception i'm sure but i am worried about him causing us problems.

Last time out Crewe narrowly edged past fellow play-off contenders Cheltenham at Gresty Road thanks to an overhead kick by captain David Artell a minute before half time. The good news for us is that in scoring that goal, Artell pulled a hamstring and shouldn't be available to face us on saturday. It was interesting to hear Crewe boss talk of Cheltenham playing similar tactics to us with 1 up top and admitting they struggled to break them down and they played poorly.

Crewe line up last time out v Cheltenham Town:

1. Steve Phillips (GK)
2. Matthew Tootle
3. Harry Davis
4. David Artell
5. Adam Dugdale
6. Ashley Westwood
7. Luke Murphy
8. Billy Bodin
9. Shaun Miller
10. AJ Leitch-Smith
11. Byron Moore

SUBS: Alan Martin (GK), Jordan Brown, Lee Bell ( on for Westwood on 85 mins ), Kelvin Mellor ( on for Artell on 55 mins ), Max Clayton ( on for Miller on 64 mins ).

In my opinion this game has all the makings of an absolute stonker despite the massive importance to both sides. Crewe score goals and they also let them in, they play good football too, we have been pretty atrocious in recent weeks and surely must be due a great performance? I reckon it will not be a game for the fainthearted, end to end and we will edge it 3-2 although my head reckons it could be a score draw.

I'm coming down for this one for only my second ever visit to Plainmoor plus it is my birthday on thursday so hopefully the lads can give me a belated present. 3 precious points so i can trawl back up the motorways buzzing. I thought about the club announcer bloke maybe giving me a birthday mention at half time. Would be nice. How do you go about doing that does anyone know?

If anyone gets confirmation of who the ref is going to be on saturday then please could you post it on this thread thanks.

Whatever happens, you are my Torquay, my only Torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey!! COME ON!!! :scarf:

NOTE: I am aware that the Crewe ground is now called 'THE ALEXANDRA STADIUM' but to me it will always be Gresty Road so i have chosen to refer to it as that in the thread. Besides, 'THE ALEXANDRA STADIUM' sounds camp.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

What about Hereford giving it one last dying shot and throwing everthing at Crawley and getting a win, but Barnet also win so they just roll over on the last match !!!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Got a bad feeling about this one. Crewe are the form team at the minite and based on the Wimbledon performance were running out of steam abit.

I can see us dropping points here unless we are at the top of our game. Its a MUST win game as Crawley will beat Hereford comfortably.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

What ever happens between Crawley v Hereford, if we want to avoid play offs (never thought I would ever say that) then we have to win on Saturday. We lost our chance on Saturday and as Alex has already said the way we played at Wimbledon I would be suprised if we pick up a point from the next 2 games.

I know we want Crawley to lose to Hereford, but realistically we want either Crawley to win and Barnet to draw, or Crawley to win along with us to win and Barnet to win so that Hereford go down. I don't want to head to Hereford with them needing points. I would rather Crawley went to Accrington needing a win to secure the 3rd spot and for us just needing a win at Hereford. Accrington are the sort of team who will go for a win even though for them it is a fight for 12th.

I am not going to predict anything on this game, I am just going to sit at home with the radio on whilst tiling the kitchen, and hopefully have something to go to Hereford to play for. This is bringing me back to the Southend game, I have all the same feelings and thoughts. Hopefully that is a good omen.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Awayday wrote:I don't want to head to Hereford with them needing points.
Not so sure I agree with this. How many times have you seen have you seen a team with nothing to play for other than pride end up playing brilliant, carefree football and comfortably winning? Hereford is actually a real stinker of a game, either way.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Wimbledon had nothing to play for, no pressure. I'd rather we went to Hereford with them needing something, purely because there'll be pressure on them.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

austrianandygull wrote: so a speculative punt on O'Kane for 1st goalscorer may be order. What do you reckon Bix?
i couldn't possibly comment andy, there may be children viewing this thread!!

hes certainly due a goal, and a decent performance too for that matter!! come on eunan, pull yr socks up mate and get conducting the orchestra like we all know you can!!
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I did think Eunan would have added more goals to his tally than he has so far this season. That is the only disappointment from him i suppose but i'm gonna go £20 on him for 1st goal. What odds do you reckon i'll get? About 10/1 ish i would have thought.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Got a bad feeling about this one and I can see our automatic dream being over this Saturday :'( :(
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Austrian Andy . . . bring your Whippet . . . because the last time a dog was in attendance at Plainmoor against Crewe, we got an absolutely vital result. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Yeah-it would be a good idea to invite Paul Dobson and Jim McNichol along on the day,and maybe Stuart Morgan as well. Parade around the pitch before the match and evoke the spirit of that amazing game. As regards dogs-how about locating Bryn's "grand-puppies" and parading them around the pitch as well!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Trojan 67 wrote:Austrian Andy . . . bring your Whippet . . . because the last time a dog was in attendance at Plainmoor against Crewe, we got an absolutely vital result. ;-)

Sorry Troj, i haven't got one. I could bring a cat though if it would help? :-D

In fact i could bring 4 if you want although one would have your face off if you tried to pick it up! :(

In fact i could let my cats defecate all over the penalty area at the Crewe end so that when their keeper dives he gets it on his gloves, suffers a severe toxoplasmotic reaction and goes blind thus leaving our Rene to put the ball past him on numerous occasions resulting in a cricket score and a fabled cat story to add to the fabled dog story to go down in the annals of Torquay United history.

Ok so it's a bit far fetched and probably won't work...............i could fetch my gerbil though! :'(

NOTE: In no way do i wish the Crewe keeper to lose permanent vision either before, during or after our game with them!
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

What a fantastically random post - cheers Andy!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

My coach down there is in 5 hours from Leeds City Centre .. is this madness? travelling all this way at stupid o'clock to get drunk, watch Football and then eat a few Burgers over 3 days .. i'll answer my own question .. no it's not madness! i think we'll have an open game, end to end with a few goals. I dont care what anyone say's, this is must win for both teams so i cant see a stalemate! i'm going 3-3 with them leading 2 nil before we bring Tai on and he scores 2 and sets up Morris for a 3rd. My head say's draw and my heart says a win! Nerve racking!
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well laugh out loud indeed, only austrianandygull could own a guard-cat... :)

Oh as far as the match is concerned....bring it on. :-D
Formerly known as forevertufc