Danny Stevens

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

It's pretty obvious that Stevens is only playing to orders....
....aka jmgull.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

I didnt mean the byline. I meant the 18 yard line which is what I said. Like Scott Sinclair and hoilett did on weekend. That area
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

As others have already mentioned, I think Danny has started off to central on a lot of attacking moves, in the last month or so. This makes it more crowded and gives less time to for our players to play.
When you think about our goal distribution, the majority have come in the second half, MAYBE when the game has been stretched a little as it does in the second half, i.e. there is more space available.
ALso, I think Danny is better at attacking the full back when he has a little more, i don't know if this is a football intelligence thing where Danny (also a lot of league 2 players) need more space and time to be more creative, but this extra time only comes when he is out wide.
Then when he is out wide it creates more space for the likes of Eunan and Mansell to play their game.
I don't mind having wingers playing on the wrong and then having to cut in, as with only one striker crosses from the winger at the byline are almost nearly pointless. Whereas if the play is bought back to Nicho or Joe the wingers are able to enter the box giving more to aim at for crosses. Not saying Danny will help with headers but he can be a fox in the box.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Rach »

I REALLY wish people would stop slagging Danny off, he tries his best!!
Heritage gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Heritage gull »

Hear hear Rachii12 :clap:
Danny has been responsible for some of our narrow wins this season, and has improved out of sight since last year. I still maintain that his current form slump is more likely to be due to coming back too soon after his ankle injury. Not confident in the ankle to do what he has been doing best? Let's wait & see if he pulls the rabbit (miracle goals) out of the hat in the next 2 games before condemning him to the scrap heap. :scarf:
TUST member 077
Rach
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Rach »

Heritage gull wrote:Hear hear Rachii12 :clap:
Danny has been responsible for some of our narrow wins this season, and has improved out of sight since last year. I still maintain that his current form slump is more likely to be due to coming back too soon after his ankle injury. Not confident in the ankle to do what he has been doing best? Let's wait & see if he pulls the rabbit (miracle goals) out of the hat in the next 2 games before condemning him to the scrap heap. :scarf:
yeah, think of how he played last season, he has improved SOOO much!! (*)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Cometh the time, cometh the man, step up to the challenge Danny boy . . .

(8) Walk tall, walk straight, look the Popside in the eye

It's what your mentors taught you from when you were knee high

They said, "Son be a proud man and hold your head up high."

Walk tall, walk straight, look the Popside in the eye. (8) :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gary4485
Trialist
Trialist

Post by gary4485 »

TROJAN 67, where do i start!

I take it your not a fan of Danny Stevens! slagging him off at any/every opportunity you get, for starters how can you possibly comment on any players performance by judging on a match thread?
Also quoting that he hasn't "got the physical strength, balls and ability in him for a 46 match season" and that Martin Ling basically had his hands tied because Stevens had already signed a 2 year deal!
You also keep banging on about how he drifts infield too much!

Right this is where i can put you right on a few things!

If he hasn't got the balls, lets she if you have, come up to the players lounge after the Crewe game and voice your opinion to him personally instead of being a coward and doing it on a fans forum!
Secondly, you say he cant last a 46 game season, well i can tell you he's been having pain killing injections in his ankle for the last month and playing with a calf problem!
When Martin Ling arrived Stevens was out of contract, and it was he who offered Stevens a deal to commit to the club. When the 2 had a meeting about the upcoming season Ling made it clear that he wanted him to cut infield link play and get his shots off, which he seems to do!
You now judge Torquay United under Martin Ling NOT Paul Buckle, so why dont you try doing the same with each and every player including Stevens!

For a player who's chipped in with 9 goals and a few assits this season and is playing through pain to get Torquay United promoted, i dont think thats a bad return for a player who was used as a fringe player for the last few seasons!
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by popside_yidlad »

gary4485 wrote:TROJAN 67, where do i start!

I take it your not a fan of Danny Stevens! slagging him off at any/every opportunity you get, for starters how can you possibly comment on any players performance by judging on a match thread?
Also quoting that he hasn't "got the physical strength, balls and ability in him for a 46 match season" and that Martin Ling basically had his hands tied because Stevens had already signed a 2 year deal!
You also keep banging on about how he drifts infield too much!

Right this is where i can put you right on a few things!

If he hasn't got the balls, lets she if you have, come up to the players lounge after the Crewe game and voice your opinion to him personally instead of being a coward and doing it on a fans forum!
Secondly, you say he cant last a 46 game season, well i can tell you he's been having pain killing injections in his ankle for the last month and playing with a calf problem!
When Martin Ling arrived Stevens was out of contract, and it was he who offered Stevens a deal to commit to the club. When the 2 had a meeting about the upcoming season Ling made it clear that he wanted him to cut infield link play and get his shots off, which he seems to do!
You now judge Torquay United under Martin Ling NOT Paul Buckle, so why dont you try doing the same with each and every player including Stevens!

For a player who's chipped in with 9 goals and a few assits this season and is playing through pain to get Torquay United promoted, i dont think thats a bad return for a player who was used as a fringe player for the last few seasons!
Agreed
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

well said Gary :-D ,Trojan is a bully always picking on our poor Danny,loved by all where i stand on the popside apart from Trojan who alway having a dig at the poor lad.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Well said Gary! Our "Tojan" been put to shame! :na:
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by popside_yidlad »

Does trojan and brucie remind anyone else of victor meldrew? Lol......bless them
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

But these pain-killing injections presumably don’t affect his footballing brain as well?

To be fair the Hobbit has been much better this season and turned in some decent outings. But his performance at Wimbledon was so poor that it was painful to watch. His decision making was abysmal and his execution poor. It was like winding the clock back to many of his performances in the Buckle era. Too many moves foundered when the ball reached him.

If it is because he is crocked then he really shouldn’t have been playing. He looked short of confidence and desire. It is not fair on him or the rest of the team. We can’t afford to carry passengers at this crucial time of the season and expect results.

If we are in this position then this bare bones strategy will come back and bite us. Others have called for more LRT. I agree with them.

And what’s wrong with being a grumpy old man?
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Got to admit, I quite like Trojan's posts. The Danny Stevens obsession is a bit boring now though. Kiss and make up?

Its obvious to most people he hasn't been the same player since his ankle injury and anyone who thinks it wouldn't affect his game must be barking!

Confidence has also been affected so I think it's time to bench him.

Why play a right footer on the left wing unless they have instructions to cut inside? Duh!!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

This was never meant to be a 'let's slag off Danny' thread, just wanted to know where I could find the goal that's all!

I personally like Danny. Seems to me that all the other L2 fans I know see him as a real threat, I guess they don't see him week in week out, but it's interesting all the same.