torquay united v southend united - 14/4/2012

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

A tight game that we edged. Southend showed a shocking lack of ambition for a team with a chance of automatic promotion, as well as a lot of niggling and irritating time-wating. I hope they get nothing from the rest of the season.

There were few chances. A little more composure from Jarvis early in the second half and he might of score from a half-chance. Rene also worked himself an opening in a congested penealty box, the sort of situation he likes but his curling shot went wide. Eunan's form is a bit worrying, seems to have lost his edge a little in terms of picking the right pass but also taking on players in tight situations.

I would have been gutted if we had lost but can live with the point.
TUST number 080
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

First of all a quick report on today’s game; I thought that the referee was an absolute disgrace. He gave everything to Southend but the Southend players weren’t any better, time wasting and diving and the ref fell for it every time. I thought that they were going to go for it and go for the 3 points? Well obviously not because they took forever to take a throw in when they ball went out. When they went forward though, I didn’t think they caused us any real threat and we defended pretty well. Joe Oastler had a poor game, Saah, Ellis, Nico played well with the rest having an average performance, saying that, Rene did ok with a poor knee.

We never looked like scoring today and it had a 0-0 draw written all over it. But it should have been a 0-0 draw with one side having 10 men! The Southend number 6 was a 1st class t**t! When he went down (sorry dived) Oastler went over to him, so what does he do? Put his arms around Oastler’s legs and pulls him to the floor! Unbelievable and he only got a yellow card.

As for the race for promotion the 3rd spot is going to be between us and Crawley. In my eyes Shrewsbury are going up and are going to finish second. Its goanna be the 2003/2004 season all over again, instead of us and Huddersfield, us and Crawley to snatch that last 3rd spot. However, if creepy win their game in hand; it will be tough to get promoted automatically IMO. I apologise if I sound pessimistic but that’s how I feel.

I do have one video from today’s game which I’m going to put on Youtube later, but I hope to take more than one against Wimbledon next week. Looking forward to that game, onwards and hopefully upwards Gulls.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I too was thinking about the likelihood of a parallel between this season and 2003/4. But remember, at the same point that year we were 5 behind Huddersfield and still made it. Both teams had run-ins against sides with nothing to play for, but the results could not have been more different.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I think this was the result we all said we would get. all in all job done. it was the hardest of the last few games and we are still in the hunt. so not so disapointing day but having done a seperate thread that hardly anone has noticed I will repeat on here. Let's give the guys a well deserved pat on the back and hearty congratulations for breaking a club record set in the 1965/66 season for clean sheets kept. and only 41 goals conceded to date almost matching the previous record season of 45. is there any chance we could match or even beat it. only 3 matches left. I don't see why not. Come on guys, instead of showing disapointment we should be upbeat about this.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Disappointing result, but could have been far worse if Crawley had won. We are still in it!!

Southend are a horrible side, play very much like Crawley, in the ref's face, diving, timewasting. The ref was a disgrace, cowardly, awful and I hope we never see him again. How Moshni (?) stayed on the field is beyond me. If a player goes over to an opposing player, dives at his legs and pulls him to the floor with the ball nowhere near then 999 refs out of 1000 would send him off. Not this tosser, oh no, he gave a yellow. Unforgiveable. I hope the ref's assessor gives him an appropriate 0/10 (or whatever the worst score is).

Some Gulls players looked a bit tired and out of sorts, although this was not helped by the conditions (the weather was awful for a large part of the game), the t*at of a refereee and a Southend team that pulled every trick in the book. At least we don't have a midweek game, and hopefully will be fresher next Saturday.

I am still hopeful. I can't see Crawley winning all their games, so we can still do it. More twists and turns to come, and I expect it to go to the last game.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

What a horrible, nasty, boring, terrible team Southend are. Fecking awful to watch them throwing themselves about. Their number 3 was hilarious, he shouted at the referee for a foul when he tackled out bloke and won the ball. Almost worse than Crawley. Ref sucked in every time. Spoke to Manse for having the temerity to get kicked in the head! Credit to the Lino in front of the Pop though, thoroughly good egg.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Ref: bonkers
Southend Players: bunch of timewasters and whiners with a smattering of decent ones in between. How the hell that horrible little shit of a No. 6 stayed on the pitch beggars belief. I've seen players blatantly dive before (as he did), but to blatantly dive, wrap your arms around an opposing player's legs and effectively rugby tackle him? Unbelievable. How that wasn't a straight red, I'll never know.

Southend were given virtually every decision in their favour, even some absolutely bizarre ones. Terrible, terrible ref.
TUST member 203
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Exactly the result I expected. I still think we can do it. Crewe have conceded 56 goals this season and even conceded 2 at Macclesfield today.
Crawley are struggling and only one of their final 4 games looks a cert win Hereford at home. I have a gut feeling Northampton, despite losing at home today,are going to beat Crawley on tuesday night.
Crawley do not deserve promotion automatically and I hope their 4 final opponents will make life really difficult for them.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Yet another video

[youtube]ebHW-8kiOfs[/youtube]
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The last time we got automatic promotion I moved house a week before the last game of the season. Guess what I'm doing next week....just saying!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Another point must be celebrated - well done to the lads.
The final 3 games are going to last forever...
A lot of yellow cards today which is worrying- anyone got the card tally and if this could hurt us any on the run in?
3 wins needed now to be sure.
THe play offs with such a small squad woul be a really big ask
COYY
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I think the time for totting bans for yellows is over.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

That was a pretty poor performance, with several players having very poor games - the honourable exceptions being Saah, Ellis and Nicho.

A total of 10 insipid attempts on goal and only three on target is a sign that we were more intent on keeping a clean sheet than trying to win the game.

We seem to be running out of steam - not surprising with our wafer-thin resources - and I fear we will be the team that enters the playoffs with little or no momentum.

I expect us to face Crewe because Oxford also seem to be treading water at best with Southend and Cheltenham contesting the other semi-final.

Also, what a poor turnout today - 3,400 for a potential 6 pointer is pathetic.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

The big difference at the moment is o'kanes severe lack of forum. He has that bit of quality which can decide tight games. We need him back on form as soon as possible.