torquay united v southend united - 14/4/2012

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

torquay united v southend united - 14/4/2012

Post by bixieupnorth »

surprised no one else has done a thread yet, what with it being less than 22 hours til kick off now!!

andy, have you lost the will.....??

really tough game tomor i imagine, southend will want to win, not draw, to preserve their faint hopes of an automatic spot. st martin says we will be trying to win it so that we remain in 2nd place heading into the last 3 weeks of the season. so it should be an open, end to end affair, as so many of our games have proven to be recently.

i'm really not sure what to make of it? those who i cant speak of on these family threads seem to think we'll win and win easily, if you can put the children to bed then i'll continue!! they even think the draw is more likely than a southend win. however we need to ensure that we win, other results at plainmoor dont bear thinking about, we must win (well not quite must, but you know!!) if we want to consider ourselves as one of the three automatically promoted sides. anything less coupled with positive results for crawley and/or shrewsbury tomor and tuesday will see us edged into the playoff places, arrgghh and that just doesnt bear thinking about!

so basically, we need to be winning tomorrow, hopefully the almost unchanged side, jarvis in for the suspended morris, should be the only move, provided big rene's knee knack is playable

i'm gonna be so nervous sat on my pc, i wouldnt like to think how you lucky souls at the game will feel? please please please 3 more points

i'm gonna stick my neck out and say 2-0, howe and jarvis, 4212 there, inc 725 from southend

yellow army!!
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 13 Apr 2012, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

Think the nerves are showing already - it'll be 14/4/2012, not 14/2 :)

My first game was the corresponding fixture last season - that was a 1-1 draw but if memory serves both teams were in mid-table obscurity then and there's more at stake for both. Still think we'll edge it, yet another 1-0 will do!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

First of four vital games for us. I didnt want to start the thread in fear of cursing us! But I'm suggesting we have a Yellow Day for this one " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; make Plainmoor a sea of Yellow and try and create the best atmosphere we can and back the lads the best we can in these important matches..
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

A big well needed win, a draw wont do it. 1-0 Howe
tufcfans
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan!

Post by tufcfans »

Looking at the Southend forum I don't think they're very confident at all. Also they want to see their team go for it but they're not sure whether that will be the case or not either. I can see Torquay holding out for another 1-0 to be honest.
Torquay United Online Newspaper (Torquay United Fans Daily) http://www.paper.li/TUFCFANS/1309719474 and other online newspapers here: http://paper.li/~/publisher/674697#
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Sorry Bix, i was gonna get round to doing it tonight as i haven't really had the time but you beat me to it! I'll do one for the Wimbledon game about 5 minutes after the Southend game has finished. 8/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A must win game! Singers in the middle like the Port Vale game, lets get Plainmoor rocking to urge the players on! COYY!!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

This game is the hardest we have left IMO. Both in terms of the calibre of the opposition AND the fact that Southend could still yet get an automatic spot albeit unlikely. If we start the game slowly as we did against Vale then they will punish us and i don't want us to be coming from behind again. I'll go for a 1-1 draw.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Southend have lost 3 away games recently 0.2 Bradford,0.1 Bristol Rovers and 0.1 Aldershot. The big factor is Freddy Eastwood. We have to ensure he does not get any space. He is lethal. Keep him off the score sheet then I go for a 2.0 win. A huge game. Hoping for a good referee.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

portugull wrote:Southend have lost 3 away games recently 0.2 Bradford,0.1 Bristol Rovers and 0.1 Aldershot. The big factor is Freddy Eastwood. We have to ensure he does not get any space. He is lethal. Keep him off the score sheet then I go for a 2.0 win. A huge game. Hoping for a good referee.
We're in trouble.

This guy >>> http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/2383/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is tomorrow's ref. Mark Heywood (worked with a QC with that name at 5KBW in London, probably not him though). You'll see that twice in the last 18 months, he has given THREE penalties in a single match. Eastwood goes down like a two dollar whore, hope Bobby has his penalty saving boots on.

His last match was Chelts v Barnet - Had a look on their forum for the match reports and mentions of the referee, there are none.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yeah yeah, DP and all that...

This made me laugh on their forum, equivalent thread to ours:

Im confident. We have nothing to lose.... our players are pound for pound better than theirs, apart from possibly O'Kane and the keeper. 3-1. Eastwood and Moshsni to carve em up.

Oh really?

Seen much of us this season, have you? Been to all the games? No, didn't think so, you've watched us on the FLS and made that decision out of thin air.

I'd make a very strong suggestion, although with the rider that I know as little about them as this guy knows about us, that there is not a better back 5 than ours, either as a unit or, possibly, lb for lb. Have any of you seen anyone in this division (perhaps apart from at Swindon) who you would trade for Mark Ellis? A right back more effective at the back and better going forward that Joe Oastler? A better left back, again, forward and back, than Nico?
What about Lathrope, anyone want rid of him for anyone in the division?
Manse, better enforcer in the division?
Ok, perhaps there are better wingers than Danny and Morris, even Jarvis, but do any of them play for Southend?
And finally to big Rene. Yes, he's limited, but he is on 15 goals this season, having been suspended for 7 games, missing for a couple of others and injured for another 5. He's only really been fit and available for half the season and he's still up there with the top half a dozen goal scorers in the league.

So, honestly, I know that's only the starting XI and it's the bench where we struggle, but really, would you trade any of those for any of Southend's mob, with the possible exception of Rene for Eastwood, although that might not quite suit out game. Seems Southend are long ball merchants, bang it long, bang it early, bang it to Eastwood.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

Bixieupnorth: 750 fans will be a bit of a suprise considering the club has sold 190 tickets and is only expecting 350 to turn up in total, cant waiy for the game!!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i actually said 725, but seems like i'm gonna be well out there, as long as i get the score right then i'll be more than happy!!

enjoy the game people!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

as expected Jarvis for Morris only change, McPhee promoted to the bench
still keeping the faith
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Quite a conservative looking Southend side, only one recognised striker (although they could be using Mohsni up top).

Huge game, need to win