CONGRATULATIONS TUFC!!!!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

CONGRATULATIONS TUFC!!!!

Post by Awayday »

Is it just me and my crap maths or did yesterdays point guarantee us the play offs?

13 points clear of 8th placed Crewe with only 12 points left to play for?

In which case well done, you have exceeded my expectations this season.

It may have been mentioned elsewhere but we should be celebrating this achievement surely???
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I suggest we celebrate it if we have to use it, I'd much rather be celebrating automatic promotion!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

cambgull wrote:I suggest we celebrate it if we have to use it, I'd much rather be celebrating automatic promotion!
We'd all much rather be celebrating auto's but what will be, will be!! Dont think any of us even dreamed of reaching the play-offs at the start of the season so its already a massive achievement!!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Oh alright then!

*gets partyhat out*

Do do dooo, come'on and do the conga!
Luke.

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

cambgull wrote:Oh alright then!

*gets partyhat out*

Do do dooo, come'on and do the conga!
I love the suggestion here that Camb carries a party hat with him at all times

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Definitely an achievement but the fact that noone's really picked up on it shows we're aiming even higher than that, and that in itself is remarkable given the feeling after last summer.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

You never know when a party hat comes in useful!
Luke.

Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

bobby93 wrote:Definitely an achievement but the fact that noone's really picked up on it shows we're aiming even higher than that, and that in itself is remarkable given the feeling after last summer.

I did read through most posts and couldn't see that it has been mentioned anywhere else, which did suprise me a little bit. Fans say we are aiming higher, but missing the point we have over achieved where we thought we would be in October.

Someone on another thread mentioned 82 points for automatic promotion, but even if we beat Wimbledon and Hereford that will give us 85 points which I still don't think will get us in the automatic spot. It really does hinge on Southend this weekend.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

In all honesty, the team had a play-off in the bag when they hit 75 pts, however we as a club have gone so far and have got so close to an automatic spot, that naturaly what everyone is looking for now.

Thats my only concern , if the team does fail the close out a top 3 finish, is going to been seen as a massive dissapointment, it's normaly a team who hits form late on a scrape's into the play-off's who goes up, right now would not want Crewe in any play-off semi-final.

However this season pan's, their will no.. :'( from me, only a. :bow: followed by a.. :clap: ..not forgetting a.. :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Agree with that. If Shrimpers come and take the points then the max we can get is 88 and that could be enough i suppose but i don't think we will win 3 of our last 4 games. A couple of draws for example and thats pretty much it. Once we have all played the same number of games and if we are still in a favourable position then who knows what will happen? Massive congratulations must go to everyone connected with the club for securing a play off spot with 4 games to go. According to my pre-season prediction we would be in 18th spot but safe or somewhere like that so huge well done.

If we miss out then there isn't any of those with us in the play offs that i fear so we might be ok.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Argeed, in terms of automatic promotion the Southend game must be won, think anything less would put our team in a difficult position.

However the team are still in 2nd with 4 games to go, thier still another fence to jump and the finishing line to cross, when the final ball is kicked, if our team has to settle for the play-off's I am sure all fan's will then offer their congratulations on what we all agree has been a fantastic season, beyond all our wildest dreams.

Every one is making the mistake of looking at Shreswbury's and Crawleys run-in and thinking it's a lot softer than our's because of where the teams they have to play are in the league, rather than actually looking at who is in form ,and who is out of form.

Crawley if my memory serves me right have to play thier local rivals Wimblendon who are bound to be well up for it, they also have to play the very much in form Dagenham, and very much improved Northampton, Crawley may well win all of these matchs, however would not bet against them dropping a few points along the way..I very much think,85 pts will be enough.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Spot on forever, my thoughts, and hopes, in one.

When we were down the bottom scrapping for points, we got some off better teams than us, so all of us are capable of dropping more yet. Hereford away is going to be some game ........
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It's possible that both Creepy and Shrewsbury will win all their remaining games. If that is so then it will be between us and Creepy.

If that is so, then we must make sure we win all our games AND finish with a better goal difference. That will be some task.

I'm hoping we can still keep pinching wins and hope that the Creeps or the Shrews drop enough points so that our inferior goal difference won't matter.

It's not just the Southend game that's vital, all our remaining games are vital.

Here's hoping. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

it has been mentioned loads over the last few days, but i guess the posts have been lost in other threads

it is indeed a massive credit to the whole squad and the coaching staff. shows how far we've come that we'd all be gutted to ONLY get a play off place this season!!

fingers crossed for auto, but i agree with several others on here that its unlikely that we'll achieve it now unfortunately

i think our luck has been well and truly ridden these last few weeks when we've not played well but still ground out results, i worry that we will come unstuck in at least two of our remaining four games simply thru sheer tiredness of what has been a really long slog. all those 1-0 wins may come back to bite us if it goes to goal diff, what a sickener that would be!
still keeping the faith
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

I think the sentiment of the OP is spot on drummer boy.

Is it a human condition to be greedy and to always want more? That isn’t a criticism of anyone as I find myself swept along with a tide of optimism that says auto is achievable.

But in the cold light of day mid table obscurity would have been an achievement in itself this year. The play-offs has already exceeded my wildest dreams.

Gawd bless you Dinger and the boys...
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)