Oxford United v Torquay United - 9/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Great character to come back for a point. Got to say for the first time this season I thought that if we won that game we would go up automatically.
We are still in with a great chance however - although Morris will be a big loss as he played well against Accrington.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Agree with Brucie. This was a decent result against a strong team. We are still in with a great chance of going up. I don't swallow the argument that we have a more difficult run-in than Shrewsbury or Crawley, all games can bite a team on the bum at this stage of the season. This particularly applies to games against sides who on paper have nothing to play for, quite often these teams are liberated by this freedom and play well. I reckon the promotion race will go to the last game of the season, unless Crawley unexpectedly go into administration (please!).
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Aussie wrote:I find it remarkably funny that some folk don`t have a clue about the off-side law, even the officials! 8/
Yeah, hysterical. Instead of lauding yourself as some sort of football aficionado (not, strictly speaking, correct usage), then acting smug when you appear to know something others may not, why not use your enormous wealth of football knowledge and understanding to help others better follow the game?

Come, Mr Expert, enlighten us with your boundless wisdom.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

ferrarilover wrote: Yeah, hysterical. Instead of lauding yourself as some sort of football aficionado (not, strictly speaking, correct usage), then acting smug when you appear to know something others may not, why not use your enormous wealth of football knowledge and understanding to help others better follow the game?

Come, Mr Expert, enlighten us with your boundless wisdom.

Matt.

errrr, sorry Matt but Pot... Kettle... Black... :whistle:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not even slightly, what I did was what I've asked Aussie to do, explain the rule and how it works. Not simple come here and take the piss out of those who don't know or have misunderstood. Can you really not see the difference?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Firstly to the Oxford Pub, that was great pre-game entertainment, we had a similar experience and Argyle and does make travel a day out rather than the usual get drunk and watch football. I hope you do well with the charity fund raising.

As for the offside decision..... the luxury of a football fan is we get to go home and mess around with pausing SKY etc etc and can chat about it all day. On the day I thought he was behind Howe when the ball was crossed, so gutted we didn't get the goal, however it ended 2-2 and with the way Oxford came out in the 2nd half showed they were well up for a win.

The sending off......... it was a 50/50 challenge, both players had studs showing, both players deserved a yellow card. On another day the Oxford player may have got a 2nd yellow for the pushing and shuving afterwards, but I am not entirely sure his yellow card was for the tackle I think his yellow card was for the pushing and shuving afterwards. Who knows?

If before kick off someone said 2-2 with 10 men on the pitch I would have quite happily taken it, however I think there has to be some questions answered about the level of refereeing this weekend across all divisions. The game is constantly getting faster but the linesman / referees can't keep up.
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

ferrarilover wrote:Not even slightly, what I did was what I've asked Aussie to do, explain the rule and how it works. Not simple come here and take the piss out of those who don't know or have misunderstood. Can you really not see the difference?

Matt.
What an absolute crock of bollox Mr.Moral High Ground! Who pushed your button anyway? I held a fully qualified F.I.F.A approved refs qualification so may be I do know the rules of the game, who the hell are you to even question what other people know or don`t? I was laughing at someone who was spouting crap whilst they chirped on about a rule they clearly know nothing about and it`s not my place to try and educate them! To be honest I don`t even know why I am replying to your nasty little swipe at me!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

You lot need to learn not to bite with Matt. Just remind yourselves he is the one with the rat tail goaty and an Orange fiesta!
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Re Offside - Firstly, I'm pretty sure it has to be two defending players playing the attacking team onside and yesterday there was only 1 so it was a fair decision for me. A quick wiki search also suggest this

A player is in an offside position if:

he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

Secondly, Howe should have had a shot anyway.
TUST #324
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Numpte, I might be wrong but it doesn't matter how many opossing players are between the player and the goal if the ball is played backwards / level.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Correct Paul. The pass looked to be straight when I saw it, and the highlights confirmed it.

Someone else also brought it up, how was it not a foul on Bobby for their equaliser? Rendell pushes him over the goalline!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

luck? we've ridden ours enough times this season but that's def a square ball and eunan is clearly behind when the ball is played

never mind! it'll all come out in the wash!
still keeping the faith
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

numpte wrote:Re Offside - Firstly, I'm pretty sure it has to be two defending players playing the attacking team onside and yesterday there was only 1 so it was a fair decision for me. A quick wiki search also suggest this

A player is in an offside position if:

he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

Secondly, Howe should have had a shot anyway.
You are right, It has to be 2 opposing players (which may or may not include the goalkeeper)
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

GulldenBoy wrote: You are right, It has to be 2 opposing players (which may or may not include the goalkeeper)
The key word in the 'law' is 'BOTH'.

As Eunan was not nearer to his opponents' goal line than the ball (when passed), then it wasn't 'both'. So he was onside.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I see the referee of this match, who was complete tosh, has been arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19808766