Oxford United v Torquay United - 9/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Priory Oxford
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Oxford United v Torquay United - 9/4/12

Post by Priory Oxford »

Afternoon all. Firstly apologies for invading your forum and posting this.

What I'm here to say is for your visit on BHM all your fans will be welcome at pub.

We are located behind the stadium, open end. We offer a host of local and national ales. Cider from different cider farms across the west and Wales.

More importantly for Oxford fans and locals, the day will be a charity event for a long standing Oxford fan who passed away. Jack Hatton.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/930791 ... _for_life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some info on the day

A TEXAS RODEO BULL 
A bouncy castle
live music with the rock doctors
A raffle
auction of signed oufc shirts/programmes
mascot for the day 
real ales
new ciders off the farm
2 x  marquees
programmes
bbq
pork baps 
beer garden
all proceeds from raffle/auction to childrens charity clic sargent
fun for all the family
all the above midday to 3pm bar the live band who will play 2 sets after the match 5pm/7pm

It would be great if you pop in.

Any questions don't hesitate in asking.

P.S Goodluck tonight.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Torquay go to the Kassam brimming with confidence after desposing of a stubborn Accrington side on Good Friday when they recorded a 1-0 win thanks to another Rene Howe goal. The win keeps our promotion dreams very much alive and indeed the Gulls opened up a 5 point gap over Crawley Town although having played a game more. Momentum must be maintained by getting something on Easter Monday; however, it will be a very tough game and a big ask to register yet another away win against an Oxford side desperate for play-off points and with a excellent home record.

The oxfordshire outfit currently occupy the last remaining play-off spot and are on 65 points but they are being chased hard by Crewe ( 63 pts ) and Gillingham ( 62 pts ) and they will hope to take points off the Gulls. They have a similar home record to ourselves having won 10 and lost only 3 and they have scored 34 and conceded 20.

Last time out they lost 2-1 away at Northampton Town thanks to a last minute Cobblers goal and the defeat compounded by the sending off of former Leeds and Chelsea defender Michael Duberry. I'm not sure if Duberry will be able to play against us or whether his ban will kick in next weekend. I'm sure some of you guys will know. James Constable is their top scorer with 11 in all competitions with Asa Hall next best on 6. They also have a lively Colombian striker Christian Montano on loan from West Ham and he scored their only goal v Northampton AND the languid ex-Gull Scott Rendell who is on loan from Wycombe.

Line up last time out v Northampton:

1. Ryan Clarke
2. Damien Batt
3. Michael Duberry
4. Jake Wright
5. Liam Davis
6 Adam Chapman
7. Asa Hall
8. Peter Leven
9. Dean Morgan
10. Scott Rendell
11. Christian Montano

SUBS: GK Wayne Brown, Anthony Tonkin, Andrew Whing ( on for Leven on 20 mins ), James Constable ( on for Rendell on 78 mins ), John-Paul Pittman ( on for Montano on 87 mins ).

My first visit to the Kassam will hopefully be a enjoyable one AND victorious one but i'd take a draw now if it was on offer. Oxford have a decent home record and have attacking threat but we know how to frustrate teams. I can see this being a 0-0 stalemate and i'd be happy with that. A defeat wouldn't be disastrous though and i just hope the players can continue coping with the pressure.

Not sure what there is to see and do around the ground so cheers if you could let me know whats there in terms of parking, bookies, pubs, supermarkets/shops. Is the ground easy to get to? Also apparently it is going to be hammering it down all day Monday so could be tricky and slick playing conditions. I presume the away end is covered?

COME ON LADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
slay1373
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by slay1373 »

There is a sainsburys close to the ground, or at least on the roundabout entering the estate the ground is situated. I advise you get there early if driving as there is plenty of free parking, but will be full for this. A few pubs near the ground as well as the one above. Ground is easy to get to, but if late prepare to join a very long queue for the parking!!! Away end is covered, but site midway to avoid rain if wind is in our direction.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Being a cider man myself, I know the first place to head for immediately upon arrival. Many thanks P.O. :-D
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Nope, Dubes will be out for our match, bans start immediately unless appealed.

Matt.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

roofed on all sides andy, you wont get yr hair wet mate, dont worry!! or are you worried that those drawn on tats will wash off!!??

for me, this game is the biggest test left for us, theres something about oxford that always makes me nervous, the team not the city, which i love to bits!!

i really think we'll slip up here and can see a 2-0 defeat, hopefully my crystal ball will be wrong as usual and we'll come away with another hard fought 0-1 away win!! would snap yr hand off if offered a draw before ko tho
still keeping the faith
Priory Oxford
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Priory Oxford »

Afternoon. Thanks to the admins for reporting my original message.

Can confirm what ale & cider we have on for Monday.

For the cider drinkers we have, Happy Dayz, Pyder & Fiery Fox. For the ale fans we have Oxford Gold, Hobgoblin, Churchills and Old Hooky. These will all be served in the marquee next to the pub.

Look forward to your visit on Monday.

P.S there is parking at the pub if you want to avoid the ques getting out come and have a pint after & let it all die down.
Gull_Glen
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jean Pierre Simb

Post by Gull_Glen »

would be ok with a draw, on reflection after looking at the quality of players oxford have.
But we arent second for nothing, so we should expect to win.

reckon 1-1
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Oxford are without Duberry and Leven, whos injured. Good news for us as he is a quality player at this level.
costablancagull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by costablancagull »

Dont worry about Oxfords 11 will the human bulldozer Rene be fit?
Priory Oxford
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Priory Oxford »

NickGull wrote:Oxford are without Duberry and Leven, whos injured. Good news for us as he is a quality player at this level.
Duberry will be a miss, we are short at the back so Whing who would have slotted in for Leven will play centre back. Unless Worley is fit to play.

We'll most likely line up in a 4-3-3/4-5-1

Clarke
Batt
Davis
Wright (c)
Whing/Worley

Hall
Chapman
Whing

Montano
Rendell
Morgan
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Just in Case Priory feels a little ignored. I think we will make a visit depending on how welcome we are after if we win. I like hearing a good live band with a drink. God be with the family in these times. We have all heard of too many friends who have suffered the same recently. I assume the pub is right next to the stadium.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Priory Oxford
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Priory Oxford »

Win lose or draw you will be made to feel welcome. Just hope the weather is decent to us!

And yes, we are next to the stadium. As you look at the Lesiure complex you'll see the Bowlplex. We are situated right behind it. Only a 2-3 min walk to your entrance to the stadium.

Safe journey and I hope to see you all on Monday.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Thanks for all the info Priory.

I'll be there for sure! I hope you've got plenty of Old Hooky cos I'll be quaffing at a ferocious rate =D
Priory Oxford
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Priory Oxford »

Sup away till your heart is content my friend ;-)