Buckle for Luton

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Buckle for Luton

Post by hector »

...according to the Non-League Paper he is...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

They must be mad as hatters.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Luton only sacked Gary Brabin this weekend, so everything is rumour and speculation at this stage.

http://www.lutontown.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 32,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But Paul Buckle would not be a bad appointment for them; he has already proved himself as a manager at Torquay, before that unfortunate period at Bristol Rovers. Martin Ling's success with Orient was followed by a difficult spell at Cambridge before he went on to achieve further success with the Gulls, and an older and wiser Buckle could do the same at Luton, as a stepping stone to realising his ultimate ambition of managing a big club.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Since its not massively contentious, I shall tell the story...

I was chatting not so long ago to Nico and Toddy and we got on to the subject of PB and his future prospects. Completely unprompted and at the same time, they both suggested that it is almost certain that, if Luton don't come up, he will get the job.

If anyone can find us odds, I'd be keen to lump on, of the price was right of course.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
harpenden gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: E O'Kane

Post by harpenden gull »

Luton have an amazing fan base for a BSP club; we went to see Luton play in the preseason friendlies and they had over 5000 on the evening we watched them play Palma so you can understand by that scouser has gone with the resources he has.
I am sure PB could spend all of their money on creating a new team that doesnt gel buying from Rovers, then p**s off all the current LFC players and isolate the non- believers...................... then fail to get them anywhere near the playoffs....................................hope you can see where I'm going with this.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Trojan 67 wrote:They must be mad as hatters.
:red:
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote: :red:
If he was rumoured for the Peterborough job and the comment had been "too posh for him", would you have not got that likewise ?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Glad to see that Buckle has accepted his level. ;-)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

harpenden gull wrote:Luton have an amazing fan base for a BSP club; we went to see Luton play in the preseason friendlies and they had over 5000 on the evening we watched them play Palma so you can understand by that scouser has gone with the resources he has.
I am sure PB could spend all of their money on creating a new team that doesnt gel buying from Rovers, then p**s off all the current LFC players and isolate the non- believers...................... then fail to get them anywhere near the playoffs....................................hope you can see where I'm going with this.
I see where you're going and I disagree. I suspect that Buckle at Bristol Rovers had to contend with a certain amount of baggage from their previous season, but his time at Torquay was as successful as anyone could have hoped, and he could do the same at Luton, especially with a larger budget..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Paul Buckle didn't have to have a clear out when he came in as Torquay manager, the clear out had already happened.

If he gets the mad Hatters job, he'll certainly have a clear out, bring in a new squad and suffer the same fate as that at Rovers ?

It's all speculation at the moment.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Buckle had to bring in a new squad at Torquay of necessity, but he chose his own players as he did at Bristol Rovers, as every new manager does to a greater or lesser degree. He may well do the same if he gets the Luton job. He may or may not be successful at Luton. Nobody can state otherwise with any certainty. At the moment it can only be, as you say, speculation.
Cambridge_Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Cambridge_Gull »

....he better not come sniffing around here for players.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Potential League One players have no ambition to drop into the Conference, especially after recent experience of it. ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I do not buy in to this Buckle failed at Rovers because of baggage left behind from the previous season, he had no choice but to put together his own squad with us, as we only had 5 players, he had a squad already thier at Rovers, and made in my view 2 major mistake's.

He walked into Rovers with the "I am the new broom , and Iam going sweep clean" attitude, and changed to much to soon, he wiped out almost thier entire squad with out giving them a second to prove thier worth, one prime example is Chris Lines, who now plays for Sheffield Wednesday, was not good enough for Buckle, seems to be doing o.k for a team a league higher and sat 3rd.

His second and maybe biggest mistake, was failing to reconize the influence of Stuart Cambell, Cambell took over as caretaker manager, and after Rovers had look doomed very nearly kept them up in League 1, this earnt cambell a lot of respect around Rovers, and made him a favourite with the gashead fan's.

It's widely believed that Buckle wanted Cambell out from the start, what he should have done was get Cambell on his side, hit a poor run of results with cambell on side , he would have brought himself some time.

Now onto this luton thingy, I have seen Buckle coaching a number of times, got no problem saying, Buckle is a very good football coach, who does know his onions, if he does end up Luton manager, he needs to drop this "Iam the dog thats wags the tail" Style of management, for once put that ego to one side, take on board the opinions of people already at Luton, judge the players they have, get rid of the dead wood, and keep the good stuff, and he will do very well.

Their lie's the problem, not sure he can or will.
Formerly known as forevertufc
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Would be a good appointment all round. Just sayin.

Good established club, manager that has done well at that level, his home town isn't too far from there so that would probably interest him (not sure if he's based there anymore). Out of work so wouldn't cost them any compensation stuff like that.

Sounds a good fit to me.