Barnet v Torquay United - 30/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Barnet v Torquay United - 30/3/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The Gulls go to North London ( or Herts if you want to be pedantic! :@ ) in buoyant mood after their hard fought 2-1 home victory against Port Vale over the weekend, i was there you know. :bow: .

This fixture has been moved to the friday night but i've no idea why so someone please fill me in on the details thanks. Our visit to Underhill should provide us with another 3 points as Barnet are on a similar run of form to Burton Albion and have only registered a solitary victory in their last 11 league games. That was a 2-1 win at Vale Park. They have conceded 21 goals in those games, almost 2 per game and been on the end of a couple of 4 goal hammerings away at Aldershot and at home to Bradford. Gillingham also put three past them. Last time out they drew 0-0 away at struggling Macclesfield and they will be looking to avenge the defeat dished out to them when Nico smashed in THAT injury time screamer in our meeting at Plainmoor in December.

The Bees currently sit in 20th place on 39 points but only 3 points ahead of the relegation places. In contrast, the Gulls sit pretty in second and with a really strong away record. They have a goal difference of -23 second only to the Daggers. Their danger man is 22 goal top scorer Izale McLeod with their next best Ricky Holmes languishing well behind on 8 goals. They also can call on the services of much travelled striker Scott McGleish who is on a month long loan from the Pirates. They also have midfielder Sam Deering who i think is a decent footballer and also the delightfully named Cameroonian defender Clovis Kamdjo who has scored a few from the back this season ala Ellis.

THEIR TEAM LAST TIME OUT V MACCLESFIELD:

1. Dean Brill
2. Jordan Mustoe ( on loan from Wigan Athletic )
3. Michael Hector ( on loan from Reading )
4. Clovis Kamdjo
5. Paul Downing ( on loan from WBA )
6. Mark Hughes ( thought he'd retired ages ago! :lol: )
7. Mark Byrne
8. Sam Deering
9. Ricky Holmes
10. Ben May
11. Izale McLeod

SUBS: Liam O'Brien, Jack Saville ( came on for Downing on 46 ), Andrew Yiadom ( came on for Holmes on 90 ), Alassane N'Diaye, Scott McGleish.

I've never been to Underhill but i may try and make this game if i can as the lads need all the support they can get now. If anyone who has been can give me some info what it's like round there in terms of parking and stuff then it would be much appreciated.

I think this game is another banana skin where we go into the game expected to win comfortably. I just think that the result on saturday against Vale will reinvigorate the team and staff as we really got out jail with 3 points on saturday. They all know it , we all know it so lets keep believing and i reckon we will beat Barnet 3-1. I think we will come out of the traps and do the damage first half before tiring and conceding late on.

For anyone who is interested it is £17 to sit down for adults and £16 to stand on the terrace.

Again if anyone out there can let me know their experiences of Underhill then i'd be most gratfeful.

COYY!!!!!!!! :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I sadly won't be able to make Barnet, but it should be the only away game left that I do miss. I will be listening to the game on the radio, hoping for yet another 3 points!

COYY!!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Street Parking round the ground or theres a Car Park at North Barnet Underground which is only a five minite walk or so away. And the Red Lion Pub right by the ground. I quite like going Barnet can always make some noise in the terrace.

I'll apologise now for mine and Awaydays drunkeness now.
Urban Spaceman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Urban Spaceman »

I've been to Barnet a couple of times and I have to say that it is one of the worst grounds I have visited - almost on a par with Hereford United and Aldershot !!! :B

Getting to the place is easy enough - you can park easily at High Barnet Underground station (it isn't actually underground !) and then walk down the hill towards the ground, which is on the right hand side after about half a mile or so,tucked away behind a pub and next to a housing estate.

The ground itself doesn't look as if any money has been spent on it in decades and I have seen far better grounds in the Blue Square Premier !
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Its not the best ground but the away end is decent. Has a roof and a good view and you can stand right by the home fans.
Urban Spaceman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Urban Spaceman »

AlexGulls wrote:Its not the best ground but the away end is decent. Has a roof and a good view and you can stand right by the home fans.
My last visit there was several years ago so maybe my memory is not what it was - but I do remember thinking that it was a dump of a ground. Of all the ones I have been to (which admittedly is well short of what many of you have been to), it had to rank at the bottom with Hereford and Aldershot, and compared with the lovely ground we have at Forest Green Rovers, it is not in the same league.

I really hope that the Gulls get all 3 points on Friday evening. I've been unable to see them in the last 3 seasons due to my workload and being able to get away, but I might possibly break my duck this season by going on Friday evening, if I can get away. My last Gulls match was the 2-0 win over Cambridge United at Wembley !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

Nice to hear from you again Urban! I think the last I saw you was at Wembley and at Oxford in the conference, hope all is ok with you.

I wont be at Barnet as i hardly do any away games these days and not looking good on remaining homes either, just Accrington a definite.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Someones properly keen eh andy, matchday thread nearly 5 days before ko haha!!

Am deffo going to this one and hopefully we'll fair better than we did last away game, although the opposition are a complete different kettle of fish. Not sure what to make of it really, on our day we'd be capable of giving these a right hiding but due to them scrapping for safety its going to be a difficult game.

Not that i'm complaining (as i can go due to it being a midweek game!!) but why is it being held on a friday??
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

tufc si wrote:Someones properly keen eh andy, matchday thread nearly 5 days before ko haha!!Am deffo going to this one and hopefully we'll fair better than we did last away game, although the opposition are a complete different kettle of fish. Not sure what to make of it really, on our day we'd be capable of giving these a right hiding but due to them scrapping for safety its going to be a difficult game.

Not that i'm complaining (as i can go due to it being a midweek game!!) but why is it being held on a friday??
just wanted to beat Bix to it si! Anyway, the last three i've done have all resulted in victories for the Gulls so can't put a hex on the lads now!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

I've retired now anyway andy, now my run of victories is over I feel that I don't do it justice, plus I keep getting told off for mentioning bookies odds in my OP!
good luck with yr run anyway mate!
still keeping the faith
Urban Spaceman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Urban Spaceman »

dazgull wrote:Nice to hear from you again Urban! I think the last I saw you was at Wembley and at Oxford in the conference, hope all is ok with you.

I wont be at Barnet as i hardly do any away games these days and not looking good on remaining homes either, just Accrington a definite.
Thanks so much !!!

I've missed seeing the Gulls, but work has piled up so much (we were taken over in August 2010 by Deutschebahn) that it is very hard for me to get down to Plainmoor and I have to rely on Torquay playing somewhere not too far from home, of which there are few teams really in League Two. I have been following the results religiously over the seasons,but the only team I see on even a spasmodic basis, again due to pressure of work, are Forest Green Rovers, which is an hour and a half's drive from my house.

I well remember what a wonderful day that was at Wembley - and in the pub both before and after the match :Oops: - and the Oxford match brings back many memories, with the Gulls 3-0 down at half time and seemingly out of it, only to totally blitz Oxford in the second half and get back to 3-3. I'm sure Torquay would have won if they had not run out of time !

It's good to be back on the board now that my workload is subsiding a bit. Friday night is not looking good, but even if I don't get to see any Gulls games this season, I'll make a point of catching up in person next season. :scarf:
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Urban

There was a few years ago (Rodney Jack era) when we played a midweek, floodlit game, and I had to be honest I vowed never to go back there again.
But as Alex says it isn't that bad a ground to go to for atmosphere etc. We normally end up with a bit of noise there.

Although this year I will be slightly tipsy..... not as tipsy as Alex though, I am just hoping the rohypnol doesn't kick in too early otherwise he will be asleep for the 2nd half.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Awayday wrote:Urban

There was a few years ago (Rodney Jack era) when we played a midweek, floodlit game, and I had to be honest I vowed never to go back there again.
But as Alex says it isn't that bad a ground to go to for atmosphere etc. We normally end up with a bit of noise there.

Although this year I will be slightly tipsy..... not as tipsy as Alex though, I am just hoping the rohypnol doesn't kick in too early otherwise he will be asleep for the 2nd half.
The fact I have to be down the Coach Station for 5.20 in the morning might mean I fall asleep on the tube after the game :lol:
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

I hope not being we need a bus after the game not the bloody tube FFS, this is going to be a long weekend I can tell.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hmmm, no one has mentioned the fact that we are, like it or not, facing the division's top scorer. No mean feat when you consider the festering turd of a team he is in and some of the other striking talent in the division this year. We're gonna have to keep him quiet if we're to get maximum points.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"