Obviously Swindon still see us as a threat ....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Obviously Swindon still see us as a threat ....

Post by CP Gull »

... otherwise why would they loan Billy Bodin to Crewe rather than back to us?

Gutted that he's gone there as not only will we have to play against him but I also see Crewe as genuine Play Off rivals given the form they are in. :@

In other news, I see Freddy Eastwood has headed back to Southend where it all began for him, Cheltenham have signed strikers Ben Burgess and Steve MacLean in an effort to revive their promotion push and Argyle have turned to 40 year old (well he will be in 4 months time :rofl: ) Steve Fletcher to save them from the drop!
Last edited by CP Gull on 22 Mar 2012, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Had a feeling when he was not in the 16 Tuesday night he was on the way out on loan, however Lingy did say Jarvis was the replacment for Bodin and he was not looking , so I was not expecting him to come here, unless our in the knowers know something different :-/
Formerly known as forevertufc
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I heard a rumour that he wanted to come back down here but Di Canio rejected it and sent him to Crewe instead.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Never liked Di Canio. Like him even less now. I hope Chesterfield turn them over at the weekend.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Makes sense not to loan him back to us from a Swindon perspective so not surprised he has gone to Crewe. Maybe when he plays against us he will put in a shocker on purpose to help us out and at the same time having a dig at Di Canio for farming him out again and not trusting him.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

austrianandygull wrote:Makes sense not to loan him back to us from a Swindon perspective so not surprised he has gone to Crewe. Maybe when he plays against us he will put in a shocker on purpose to help us out and at the same time having a dig at Di Canio for farming him out again and not trusting him.
I like your thinking.. :-D
londongull63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by londongull63 »

Lingy said after Tuesday he wasn't looking for any loans unless it was Bodin so he must have asked if he was available. Bit odd this, as surely Swindon don't see us as a threat either. Unless Crewe offered Swindon or Bodin more money to go there. For all the brilliant job Lingy has done this season I still think he's boobed here by going on endlessly about how fantastic Bodin was. As well as making Swindon think again, it would only have alerted every other club and we've no divine right to second choice on Bodin. It's a money-orientated competitive market that dictates where people go so we need to act stealthily However much Bodin might have likedTorquay money will talk if other clubs want him and it will be another Stanley scenario. Lingy is a bit too talkative and honest to the media, there's always a new interview on the BBC. The whole world will know now Bobby Olejnik is worth buying and Lingy has even gone on about how keen he is on Jarvis, when he doesn't even start games.
It probably didn't help Di Canio feel favourable to us after our fans spent half of tuesday singing F*** off Di Canio at him either
It's a bit worrying to see our play off rivals and end of season opponents strengthening their squads yet again, except for us.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

First off if Swindon don't see us as a threat when we are the closest team to them in the league then they need their heads testing.

Second, Ling is honest and says things as he sees and i respect, admire and aspire to that. I don't want media friendly soundbites, cliches, hidden agendas, what's the **** point in that? If you are good enough and confident enough in what you are trying to achieve and true to yourself then you will get there. You might also get there if you act like a dick and spout meaningless spin but you would be a total fake.

Third, Bobby is worth buying because he has performed like a superhero this season and NOT because Ling has told everyone he is great.

Fourth, Ling may be keen on Jarvis but true to his word he starts with his first 11 until they let him down. Jarvis may very well be better than Morris for example but to Martin, Morris has done all he was asked and so starts.

Fifth, is it Lings fault that all the travelling Gulls sang **** off Di Canio on tuesday evening?

Sixth, we have strengthened. Jarvis as attacking cover and MacDonald as defensive cover. There are only seven games left so unless all the lads suffer unexpected bouts of man-flu causing them to be sidelined then i think we'll be fine with what we have.

I'm not having a go london but all in all IMO an absolutely bizarre post.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

londongull63 wrote: It's a bit worrying to see our play off rivals and end of season opponents strengthening their squads yet again, except for us.

Why is it worrying that we aren't busting a gut to get promotion? It's purely for financial reasons and is anyone really surprised the Board haven't made money available to try and secure promotion? We've improved in so many other areas that funding a promotion winning squad was never an option. The fact we're close to doing that anyway is testament to Lingy and the players for performing so well.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

I dont entirely agree with your post Dave as while the club has exceeded expectations so far this year ,I would of thought that the club would of wanted to go one step further and gain promotion.
They may well ( and I hope ) do it with their current squad but in order to safeguard any injuries another loan ( forward ) signing would of been a safer option during the run in until the end of season.
I understand the club has a small budget to play with but after the playoff final disappointment from last year we should not sit back and say oh well we have done very well and if we go up its a bonus as it doesn't make sense.
Crewe have got Bodin as an emergency loan until the end of season just for the reason what I have stated above so their is no reason why we could not do the same.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The thing is, people are assuming that those in control actually want promotion..............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Well Lingy confirms here that we did try to bring Bodin back yesterday but were knocked back by Swindon as we were indeed seen as too much of a threat for them to take the risk of sending him back here. It appears then that this confirms that money was available for another loan signing but that Lingy took the view that it was Bodin (and only Bodin) that he was interested in - which surprises me a little but there you go. As others have pointed out, most of the clubs around us (Swindon, Crawley, Southend, Cheltenham, Oxford and Crewe) have all added to their squads but Lingy has taken a similar view to that of the most experienced Manager in the promotion fight - Graham Turner at Shrewsbury - and decided to put his trust in what he has got to get the job done.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/story-1559 ... story.html
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

From what I've seen of Eastwood at Coventry, we shouldn't be losing any sleep over Southend adding him to their squad, the only worry would be that they have enough cake available to keep him fed in the manner that he has become accustomed. Released by Coventry because he was given an ultimatum to get match fit and failed by a mile (of pies).

He also still has his caravan in the area so makes sense for him to have returned there.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Can't really argue with Ling's position here. Much as any club would love to sign a player such as Bodin, and certainly one with our limited resources, we only have to look at our current league position to see that we are more than capable of continuing in the same vein for another eight games.

The only worry, as always, is the risk of injuries and suspensions. That worry, in my view, will diminish as each of those eight games is played, because Ling has already proved that if a player misses a match or two we have replacements who are quite capable of coming in and doing the job.

We'll be fine, even without Bodin, and even if he plays against us with Crewe. We may drop a few points. All our rivals will do the same. But I'm very confident we'll make it into the third promotion place. Even second place is quite possible.