Automatic Promotion

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Automatic Promotion

Post by northharrowgull »

Who would have thought , at the beginning of the season, that we would be in a position, come mid-March, to be challenging for an automatic promotion spot. Some supporters are even suggesting we are a realistic prospect for the top spot. Whooooa! steady on, this is Torquay united we are talking about.
I think I am right in saying we have never won any modern football league championship, despite being promoted on a number of occasions. We can of course dream of what might be but we have a difficult run in with Swindon, Southend and Oxford still to face and we all know what happens at the sharp end of the season with relegation threatened clubs desperate to gain points. Having said that I am so excited about the remaining games.
Martin Ling, without doubt, has brought a professional pride and resilience to the team that his predecessor could not begin to emulate. Provided we keep a relatively injury free squad ( and I hope Damon Lathrope is okay by the way) I believe we have a realistic chance of securing one of the automatic places. I sincerely hope we do, as I really dont fancy the lottery that is the play offs, particularly with the prospect of Creepy being in them. I know we are not yet guaranteed even a play off spot but such are my hopes and aspirations now rasied that I would be gutted if we dont at least reach them.COYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

We've never won a modern league title or cup, so our trophy cabinet has been storing Devon Bowl titles for years on end.

It's very unfair to criticise our squad when we're sat 2nd in the league, but looking at it on paper you'd think it would be mid-table. We have a very strong first 11 (helped by switching to 4-5-1) but very little beyond that. For most of 2012 LRT and McPhee have been our only attacking options on the bench (currenly Jarvis and Atieno, both of whom we were laughed at by their former clubs for signing), to keep on winning game after game after game has been incredible and far beyond what any of us could have imagined. We're now in a situation where the games are running out and we're getting closer and closer to the finish line, but even now I'm finding it hard to believe that we'll do it.

To maintain a run of form like this for a few games would have been fantastic. To do it until now, with 37 games played is phenomenal. To keep it going for the final stretch and over the finish line would put Ling up there with the very best in Torquay history.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

I forgot to mention that in itself this is incredible enough, but when you compare it to the teams around us - Swindon have Billy Bodin as 7th choice striker and Crawley can poach the leading scorer from L1 Brentford by offering silly money - our current position is miraculous. The pessimist in me still expects the bubble to burst, but if we can pull it off, it will be one of the biggest achievements in our lifetime.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Gulliball wrote:I forgot to mention that in itself this is incredible enough, but when you compare it to the teams around us - Swindon have Billy Bodin as 7th choice striker and Crawley can poach the leading scorer from L1 Brentford by offering silly money - our current position is miraculous. The pessimist in me still expects the bubble to burst, but if we can pull it off, it will be one of the biggest achievements in our lifetime.
Great call - If not THE biggest. Hands up who would have taken 22nd at the start of play! (I know I would have). Brilliant and lets just enjoy this without fear or expectation.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

This may be a post of length so apologies in advance.

I'm not one of those people that normally gets annoyed or upset when Torquay aren't mentioned by the national media. I know that the general public interest of Torquay United is about the same as who is singing for Finland in Eurovision. Other than about 5000 people in the south west and a host of us dotted around the world we aren't a fashionable club or one that immediately everyone wants to hear about....BUT. For me Torquay are the example of how you run a lower league club not just that what Martin Ling and Shaun Taylor has achieved this season with the team deserves more accolades than they are getting, maybe if we see the job through at the end of the season we might get them but I somehow doubt it.

I wish sometimes the folks at BBC, SKY or whoever actually did some research into the lower leagues and whats going on rather than saying stuff like 'what Crawley have done is an incredible achievement' James Richardson on Late Kick Off last week or just 'the Swindon Town juggernaut rolls on'. It should do. These two sides but especially Crawley over the last 18months have spent more than the entire division combined. I think there was a stat last season on the 'fairytale cup run' from those plucky underdogs from Sussex that in the Conference they had spent more than Leagues 1 and 2 combined on players. That's grotesque, but also they should be 10 points clear in this league and Swindon shouldn't be far behind.

Taking Swindon as an example, Di Canio signed about 10 players in the summer, about 6 games in he worked out loads weren't good enough and he's bombed them out and bought another load. To give him credit you still need to get the right players and he's done that but if we'd done that just bought 6/7 players and it didn't work, we'd be near the bottom of the league and the club would be in ruin. It's fantasy management at this level for most clubs and it's why the achievements of ours, Cheltenham's and to a lesser extent Southend are far greater than those at Swindon, Crawley and Oxford. In fact I'd say Crawley and Oxford have underachieved this year.

We've got a squad realistically of 18 players, 2 keepers, 2 loanees. It's been our squad all season give or take. In the summer whatever money we did have has been invested off the field to hopefully improve Torquay Utd's standing and long term prospects. Essential stuff, note we have to as a football club choose one or the other. Not do what little Crawley can do and fund a new stand along with another 5 overpriced footballers. Martin Ling was hardly the choice for most of us when he was announced and it was common knowledge that the playing budget this season was a lot smaller to what we had last year, even when he was announced words like 'consolidation' were used, even the powers that be thought this season would be tough.

Our management team had gone, our player of the year had gone, our GK had gone, our top scorer had gone, we'd lost all our good loannee players and about 3 games in we lost another striker. Ling signed players from non league, he signed players not deemed good enough by L2 clubs, and he signed 1 or 2 he knew. Lets be honest when we kicked the season off who realisitically and honestly held out much hope for this year?

I felt we'd be lower end of the table, my City mate was convinced we were going down with Argyle, I said we'd probably be 15th/16th. I felt our GK would be POTY mainly by default because I thought he'd be busy. He's still a front runner as it happens but he's mainly been a cog in the machine rather than the full on engine I thought he was going to be.

Obviously whats gone on has been football miracles for me. For us to be 2nd with 9 games to go, Our team hasn't changed much from that opening day Oh other than us having to sell another player to help with the coffers we still keep ticking along. Winning points off these big teams who whenever you click onto BBC you see Oxford sign a striker, Crawley sign a midfielder, Swindon sign a midfielder who Oxford had. We even borrowed one of Swindon's players who wasn't good enough for them but was a star for us. As a club and squad on paper we have no right to be mixing with this lot but we are and through merit, pure hard work, togetherness and a dab of quality. Mainly down to Ling's outstanding recruitment this season.

Small squad, paper thin squad yeah that's fair in my opinion. Although the lads that have come in though at different times this season have been exceptional. Mcphee coming on after 10mins at Cheltenham having not played really all season in a massive game, putting a shift in, taking one for the team and us winning, Howe missing for Swindon, Oxford, Argyle and we took 7 points when Atieno came in. Saah/Elis/Robertson. People missing the other coming in, Morris coming in for Bodin, Stevens rejuvenated, I made the point elsewhere that we'd never have got this consistency out of Stevens, Ellis and Lathrope under Buckle because he'd constantly be looking to replace them with an Ashley Hemmings or Ryan Gilligan or Kieron Charnock or somebody like that. Ling has showed trust, patience and confidence in all these lads and they've come up trumps, big time.

What i would say about our team more than squad is we have a very good one for his level. Right down the spine of the team we have some of the best in the league in their positions. Olejnik, is there a better LB than Nicho in L2? Mansell and O'Kane for me the best player in this league and Howe up front. I really rate Howe, he's trimmed down a bit but for a big lad he has great movement and quality on the ball and brings others into play superbly. Around those guys we have people that know how to do their jobs and they do it really well.

I think what my overall point is this season has been incredible. beyond expectations is putting it mildly and whatever happens whether we go up, go up through playoffs or lose in playoffs or whatever then this club should be applauded for the way we do things. We might not get the headlines that the others get which is a shame but we know and I think people in football know what has gone on here, how difficult the situation was or could have been when Ling took over and where we are now. I think we deserve it I really do. We deserve a bit of luck after the Cup last year and the playoff final defeat, we've done things the right way and it would be nice to see the nice guys actually get something in terms of a reward at the end of this season.

We've got 9 games to go and another 17 points will almost certainly see us get what we deserve, we can have a free shot at Swindon tomorrow. if we lose we're expected to but with the result we got Saturday it would mean 3 points this Saturday against Port Vale would keep us on track. if we take something tomorrow it would be a bonus but it's not unrealistic also. We've won big games away from home all season so hopefully we can do that again tomorrow night.

Whatever happens folks, enjoy the ride. These seasons don't happen to often, especially at TUFC. I maintain we've been spoilt these last 4/5 years as ever since I've been supporting the Gulls I've seen far more relegation battles than promotion battles until these last few years. Give Ling and all the players the support they need, calm heads no pressure environment and lets see where we end up. We might get a snippet on Sky at the end of it all here's hoping eh.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Excellent post, Royal, agree with it all. The bit about big games is very true though, under PB we faltered, under Lingy we've done exceptional..

Double over Argyle
4 points against Rovers
Beaten Swindon
Beaten Crawley in their own back yard, only the third side to do so this season.
Even the FA Cup games where we outplayed Chesterfield on their own turf, and probably would have beaten Sheff Utd had it not been two minutes of madness.

It has been so, so refreshing.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Great post Royal. I usually get put off by long posts, but that was well worth reading and I agree wholeheartedly with what you've said. :-D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Superb post Royal! Over the summer we lost Branston who is a very limited player we all know but was an absolute legend for us and was a leader down the very spine of our team. We lost Bevan who was a big presence and did well or us if not for Rovers. We failed to sign Stanley who was looking a real find. We lost Zebs, a goal threat. We lost Robinson, we lost Kee and we lost Robbo in january.

We signed Olejnik, Saah, Morris, Howe and Atieno for next to nowt as well as adding loanees like Bodin, McDonald, Jarvis, Aldred etc when we needed them.

Ling has turned a sinking ship shorn of many players into a real dogged, solid unit with no lack of quality. It is nothing short of a footballing miracle if we go up automatically.

The fact is that we should be thanking Buckle for snatching our players and not signing up Branno before he left because as it's turned out he cleared out the dead wood for us and allowed us to regenerate a healthier more unified squad. Bobby for Bevan - absoluely no contest. Saah for Branno -tough one but Saah has been superb since Robbo left and looks the part. Howe for Zebs - no contest. It goes on. Add these to Mansell, who is being played in the position he wants to be and the quality of O'Kane. Then add players like Ellis, Oastler, Lathrope, Stevens, Nico, Morris, Atieno ALL players who Ling has succeeded in getting that bit extra from.

It really is a remarkable story for the media if anybody could be bothered to scratch the surface and discover Torquay and Ling. Sadly they are not football people in the media and know **** all outside the Premiershite. Then they come on the TV and Radio and claim to know everything! Ask them where Aldershot or AFC Wimbledon play or who is the Morecambe goalkeeper and they wouldn't have a f*****g clue. Tossers.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I echo the above comments. Great OP.

I know it's wrong, but I can't help myself! I am starting to believe we could go up automatically. Worse still, I am thinking if we beat Swindon tomorrow, it will unsettle them. PDC will throw a wobbler and it will all come apart for them. He called his players 'silly little children' after Saturday!

This end of season is building up to be something very special and I really don't care if any of the major broadcasters pick up on it or not. Martin Ling should receive the league 2 manager award for this season. If it was voted by other manager's, he would. Nothing short of remarkable with the resources and budget available.

Proud to be a fan of TUFC! COYY!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

Great post Royal, agree with everything especially the bit about trusting the fringe players rather than busing in replacements. Also while there are a few stand out passers in the team, Ling has managed to get everyone to be comfortable on the ball. O'kane has been brilliant this season but we are not relying on him anymore.

Also like to add that The Guardian had us as 'jinx of the year' in their end of season round up after they featured us during our clean sheet run at the beginning of last season, only for the team to collapse until early spring. So media attention ain't all good.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Spot on.

There is a lot to be said for having a small but settled squad and we are reaping the benefits now. Confidence is just oozing through the players and the very fact that the several members of the squad have played together for a number of years now allied to the fact that even the "new" ones have had a full season with us is definitely playing it's part.

Compare Ling's approach to that of Steve Evans at Crawley. He is so desperate to keep their promotion hopes alive that he is signing a new striker every week! He brings in Billy Clarke (can't score), he brings in talented Arsenal youngster Sanchez Watt (bright start but fading fast!) he brings in Karl Hawley (nowhere to be seen now) he brings back "forgotten man" Jon Akinde (dropped after a couple of games) he brings in Shaun Batt (dropped after a couple of games) he signs Gary Alexander (decent signing who will probably do well for them) and now has gone and signed "bad boy" Leon Clarke - goodness knows what you will get from him between now and the end opf the season, just as likely to lay Evans out in the tunnel as score five or six goals!!! Evans is clearly panicking and has adopted a scattergun approach to signings in oreder to prop up their floundering form. Of course it may work, but equally it may not, no doubt if it does the national media will be fawning over him again saying what a great job he has done, but has he really? Not in my book he hasn't! I think they currently have EIGHT players on "emergency" loans - even though they can only name FIVE in a matchday squad! It feels a little bit like cheating in all honesty but I guess given what we achieved at the back end of last season with the likes of Robinson, Stanley and Tomlin in the squad we have used the system to our adavantage in the recent past. It's just such a refreshing change that if Lingy does achieve success this season it will have been almost entirely down to players that actually belong to us ..... rather than the hired "mercenaries" at Crawley Town!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Exactly right CP, you see the issue is with Crawley they are panicking big time. They've talked about preparing for League 1 next year as early as September/October, they were the favourites to win the league they've got the most money but they don't have the togetherness that we have. They ar eplaying players they'd sent out on loan, players that they've signed, new loans just a complete as you say scattergun. There's no familiarity or consistency in their results or play.

Here everyone knows they've got a chance to play and everyone knows their job or role in the team. That goes for the subs as well, subs and players not involved also have a role to play. The last thing you want is unhappy people spoiling an atmosphere or not supporting their team mates. We don't have that, we've got a very tight knit squad that support and push each other every day. You can't buy that.

There's no pressure on us. That might change with 4 or 5 games to go and you have to re-evaluate everything. If it's there to be won and we're in the mix there will be nerves there will be pressure but if Crawley aren't up blimey you can times that by 10. Their directors will be cacking themselves with the investments they've made. That is a club that will definitely self destruct. There is no backbone to that club, no passionate feeling towards it. A few rich mercenaries and a load of overpaid journeymen playing in front a of a few johnny come lately supporters. Will end in tears.

I'm proud of the way we do things, like I've said the way we run our ship is the right way to run a football club in this day and age. too much boom and bust for my liking and once one like Pompey goes we'll have a snowball of clubs go the same way, different topic entirely but one that is an enormous bug bear of mine is football clubs effectively cheating their way to succes then playing the victims afterwards. They should all be relegated or liquidated.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Great post Royal, can't add anything else to that, you're spot on! :-D
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I hate to say it but didn't SKY show a lengthy interview with Martin Ling Saturday morning?

Also my feeling is we have a manager who seems to have a sensible overall style of football.

Buckle - He had a good squad and good players, but he seemed to have a tactic that that relied heavily on 2 or 3 players, and everyone else was there to support them. No matter what we all think of Buckle how many managers can say they got their team into the play offs 3 seasons on the trot? My issue with Buckle (as he showed with his move to Bristol Rovers) is that he thought he was bigger than Torquay. Also I think if he tweaked his tactics once in a while and saw that the likes of Mansell and Kee where in the wrong position, we may have had automatice promotions instead.

Curle - He was more Colin Lee's puppet rather a team manager, and was only bought in to try and save the club from relegation......

Kubic - I think we owe Roberts a measure of thanks for providing us with a non English speaking manager, enough said about this one I think.

Atkins - We owe him some thanks for not getting us relegated sooner. Did well to keep us up, shame we replaced him with Kubic.

Cornforth - Did he actually have any tactics apart from being ex-City and was tasked by them to get us relegated?

Leroy - I have many happy memories during Leroy's reign (the first one not the second one). He got us into league 1, however his only fault was his tactics. Being he was a striker it always seemed that his tactics were to score more than the other team, but not worry too much about letting the ball in our own net. Both seasons we were relegated we lost over 30 points in the last 5 minutes of the games. We let too many late goals in rather than holding onto wins / draws.

McFarland / Saunder / Hodges - It was around this era when I started going to watch Torquay. I remember games against Leyton Orient where we needed a point for automatic promotion, but instead lost 2-1 and ended up smashing Scarborough in the play offs, but losing on a Friday night to Colchester (I was one of those fans who couldn't get to Wembley on the Friday night due to work). It was this era with the likes of Rodney Jack, Kevin Hill, and David Graham when we seemed to go on winning streaks and actually cause some threat.

Anyway going back to my point, I think as long Ling is happy to stay, we have a very interesting time ahead of us and we will start to see the rewards with the press attention. I just think we need a giant in the FA Cup (like Stevenage v Tottenham) where we can show our talent and commitment and get some credit. Ideally I would like to do a Wrexham on Arsenal and go down in history for a very long time.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

They did have an interview with Ling which was nice and I'm not asking for 20minutes of Torquay watch every week, but for journalists and presenters to actually do some research into the lower leagues. Acknowledge that Swindon and Crawley whilst up there should be up there and why they are there. Don't say it's an incredible achievement because it's not. Torquay and Cheltenham being in the top 7 is an incredible achievement.