Keeper on loan.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exetergull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Super Kevin Hill

Keeper on loan.....

Post by exetergull »

Just had a quick thought after reading an article on the OS about Bobby's shoulder.

Wouldn't it be an idea to get a keeper in loan til the end of the season? Obviously have fingers crossed that Bobby will be fine, no mention of any further injury, but would hate to see an injury to Bobby cost us points.........every offence possible to Ricey now as I'd rather have that dog from the home insurance ad in goal than him even for 20-30mins at the end of a game and especially now at this time of the season!!
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

exetergull wrote:Just had a quick thought after reading an article on the OS about Bobby's shoulder.

Wouldn't it be an idea to get a keeper in loan til the end of the season? Obviously have fingers crossed that Bobby will be fine, no mention of any further injury, but would hate to see an injury to Bobby cost us points.........every offence possible to Ricey now as I'd rather have that dog from the home insurance ad in goal than him even for 20-30mins at the end of a game and especially now at this time of the season!!
i'm a firm believer that everyone deserves a second chance and speaking to Ricey after the game yesterday and he seemed a decent bloke, took time to have a chat before they left and he seems confident in his self and the team. We all know Booby is absolutely fantastic and rightly so our number 1 but feel that if anything does happen to him the Martin deserves his chance regardless if its on Tuesday or on the last day of the season, he's next in line and if ML does need to play him then i'm confident we'll be ok, how many of us thought we were in the Sh!t when Howe was injured? give him the chance if we need to i say. Just like we did with Atieno.
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Non-starter, Martin Ling has shown complete faith in his squad so far and I'm sure he would treat Martin Rice exactly the same.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Straight to the point and honest, I can't fault anyone for posting that way.

I would say not, it appears that Bobby is ok, he would not have played on and went as we know to save a penalty, Martin Ling set his stall out right from the start, he said that he would give everyone in the squad thier chance in the event of injury or suspension, Lingy has stood by his word, and so far no one has let us down.

However do agree , losing Bobby to injury now would be major blow, and thier is no gaunrentee that any loan keeper would be as good as Bobby or any better than Ricey.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Bobby got up and played on after Damien's magic sponge did the trick. He made a couple of smart saves too, he is completely fine. Agree with Gaz and Dave though, its about time we got off Ricey's back, he turns up every day and gives his all to help Bobby warm up properly. He seems like a really good guy to have around, he will deserve any chance that does come his way. Without Ricey we wouldn't have Bobby, so fair thank you to him for sticking around and being a squad man and supporting the team. Martin Ling has more class about him than to treat him as shabbily as you suggest he should.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Gazzableedsgull wrote:i'm a firm believer that everyone deserves a second chance and speaking to Ricey after the game yesterday and he seemed a decent bloke, took time to have a chat before they left and he seems confident in his self and the team. We all know Booby is absolutely fantastic and rightly so our number 1 but feel that if anything does happen to him the Martin deserves his chance regardless if its on Tuesday or on the last day of the season, he's next in line and if ML does need to play him then i'm confident we'll be ok, how many of us thought we were in the Sh!t when Howe was injured? give him the chance if we need to i say. Just like we did with Atieno.
Ok, I really need to grow up as this typo made me giggle. :Oops:
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

HRG wrote: Ok, I really need to grow up as this typo made me giggle. :Oops:
you know i did this on purpose, right? :na: just kidding haha
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Although i would be extremely concerned should we lose Bobby to injury, i do believe that Ricey should be given an opportunity just like everyone else has under Ling. We all pretty much have come to the conclusion that Martin is a really honest and decent bloke so i don't think Ricey need worry. Like Ben says, he turns up every day and puts Bobby through his paces knowing there is virtually no chance of him getting a game. That must be hard for the lad and at least if he knows Ling has total faith in him and wouldn't stab him in the back by drafting another keeper in to play then it'll make each day a little more optimistic. It's all speculation anyway as Bobby will be fine. He is Austrian after all and built like a brick shithouse!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

Theres a reason why our defence are playing so well at the moment.. its because of many things.. but a big factor is the team having full confidence on their keeper which in a way relieves pressure!

Now if Ricey comes in, suddenly they wont be so confident.. not cause hes worse(although he is) but more because of their game time etc. They wont have any confidence in him.. maybe the same if we had a keeper on loan. The best thing we could do is give Ricey his chance? Swindon would be a good game in a way. Everyone saying we can afford a slip up, so we could in turn afford to rest Bobby and see what our number 2 keeper can do?
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Calm down bc-gull, are you Buckle in disguise? lol

I am all for Ricey being given his chance when Bobby is unavailable, but Bobby is fit and raring to go. There is absolutely no reason to suggest Swindon is a write off, we will be going there confident of winning, and we will play our best 11. Ricey was obviously told beginning of the season that if Bobby was fit, he wouldnt play a single minute of league action, harsh though that sounds, that is the reality.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Have to say totaly agree with Bengull, no need to panic Bobby.O is fit, think the article on the O/S was only taking about a scare during the game when he went down, but as said he got up and played on made a few saves including the penalty.

Whilst it is my view that a loss at Swindon would be no big deal, I think it is a game that the club will approach with confidence and belief they can win and why not our current form is no worse that Swindon's, and therefore the best 11 should play regardless.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

austrianandygull wrote:Although i would be extremely concerned should we lose Bobby to injury, i do believe that Ricey should be given an opportunity just like everyone else has under Ling. We all pretty much have come to the conclusion that Martin is a really honest and decent bloke so i don't think Ricey need worry. Like Ben says, he turns up every day and puts Bobby through his paces knowing there is virtually no chance of him getting a game. That must be hard for the lad and at least if he knows Ling has total faith in him and wouldn't stab him in the back by drafting another keeper in to play then it'll make each day a little more optimistic. It's all speculation anyway as Bobby will be fine. He is Austrian after all and built like a brick shithouse!
And one day he could be Governor of California..! =D
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

I would have imagined the whole point of Ricey training with our defence every day was that if Bobby did get injured he'd be able to step into that position causing the least disruption possible. Avoiding the problem of bringing someone new into the Club who the defence have never met before let alone try to adjust to each others ideas on defence.

Not playing Ricey would undermine the whole squad, especially those players who have trained hard in the belief that should there be an injury they'd be given their chance. On top of which it would mean we've vastly overpaid Ricey for providing some pre match warm ups & some reserve games. He's being paid as being capable of providing first team standard goalkeeping as & when required.

Personally I think that,for instance, taking a player as influential as Mansell out of the team & attempting to find a replacement for that kind of leadership (never mind the goals) would be a far more worrying task that having to replace Bobby with Martin Rice.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

All through the season players have been missing and the experts on here have said the replacements are crap, not good enough etc. Stevens was first, then McPhee, then Atieno, then Morris, then Saah and everybody in the squad has stepped up at some point and done well for us. Bobby has been massive for us, you only have to look at Exeter to see what happens when you have a rubbish keeper and where we are to see what happens when you have a quality one. By all accounts he's fine and that's all that matters.

We don't want any disruption to the team right now but sometimes it can't be helped, like I said in the summer if Ricey is needed in the first team he won't let anyone down. In his only game at Cheltenham he was one of our better players on the night, what happens in reserve games when he's playing behing a bunch of kids in defense has no bearing on anything. Remember Ellis played when we lost 9 something at Cheltenham!!!

Bobby's our number 1 I agree with Ling he is by far the best in the elague probably the best in the bottom 2 leagues so if he was missing then we would absolutely miss him big time, anyone would and whoever comes in is a) going to be inferior and b) going to have huge boots to fill. But Ricey would deserve his chance just like everyone else in the side has done. I'm hoping it's not an issue this season now though because if we're going to go up we need no disruptions now especially not in goal.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

If we do that there's no point having him in the squad. There's no way Ling would treat a player like that, I'm sure of it.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele