swindon town v torquay united - 20/3/2012

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

They must've been brave Dave! ;-)

Shame we didn't get any points from this game but we can't be disapointed we've had a fantastic run.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its just plain daft to pretend that the result didn't matter or the players were not actually bothered because we had won the previous two away games.
It was after all another 3 points on offer. Noone is disputing that we have done really wsell but lets not pretend that last night wasn't a big let down. Probably most galling was to concede two dead ball goals.
Whilst our formation has served us really well it was exposed last night as it was practically game over when Swindon scored their first one.
We need to be winning or on level terms. Howe is our major weapon but if we are chasing the game he is knackered before we bring on a player to support him.
I actually thing Howe and Atieno would be a fair combination up front together.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I want the players to forget all about last night and concentrate on Vale and the next 8 games. They are what really count now and losing a few unexpectedly and having a bad run ( like Cheltenham have had) could see our automatic dreams over in the space of two or three games. Cheltenham have suffered that bad run and can anyone confidently say they will get a top 3 spot now? Not a prayer. The pressure is really on now and we'll have to wait and see if the lads can cope with it. I might have been a bit annoyed if i had gone last night and forked out the money but i kind of expected the result and the performance after the lads looked knackered at Burton so no complaints. We have to remember where we all thought we would be at the start of the season with 8 games left and if someone had of told me in second, i'd have wet myself with laughter. We are in second but i am very concerned about Shrewsbury, especially their home form AND Crawley with them signing players all the time. I think we can forget about Cheltenham and we can finish above Southend too IMO.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Sorry didn't post a report last night, was knackered when I got in.

Went down with Stratford Gull (Chris), who picked me up at Warwick Parkway, thank you for the lift mate!

Firstly the yellow army were fantastic. Loved every minute of the singing, particularly the 'f**k off Di Canio'.

We started brightly, really nice interplay and passing. Played them off the park, looked like we would get a result. Then they put us under sustained pressure, poor marking from a corner and it was in. All happened in a flash. From that moment on we were barely in the game. When they scored in the 2nd half that was game over, and we looked tired and directionless for the last 30 mins.

Bad day at the office against a very good team. They are easily the best team I've seen this year, looked a real threat coming forward and their defense was faultless. They'll do well in League 1.

As for us, I hate to say it but we looked tired. This 11 plays week in, week out, often twice a week. We can't expect all-action dynamism every game, conserving energy at 2-0 was the better approach rather than chasing the game and tiring further. We also lack a plan B. Our starting lineup is very strong, very difficult to break down and is capable of scoring from anywhere. However, when a team have us worked out we have nothing to resort to. Ateino when he came on was woeful, Jarvis anonymous. Danny also had an extremely poor game, didn't run the wings at all.

Special mention to Mark Ellis however, who was immense last night. Saw him have a word in Di Canio's ear as he left the field, wouldn't be surprised to see him go there in the summer.

Still, onward and upward. Still think we can go up automatically, especially with our fantastic support.

COYY
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I was there last night with the Yellow Army singers and the atmosphere was brilliant, once again we were louder than the home fans. I particularly liked the "I wanna go home" chant last night, the Swindon fans didn't like that one :lol: (I have two videos that I'll upload onto YouTube ASAP).

As for the game; Swindon were the better side. They were very quick on and off the ball and used the width very well throughout the whole game. It was surprising that their goals came from corners, as we hardly ever concede from corners. From what I remember, their first goal was a little scrappy but their second was a bullet header! We had our chances in the first 20 odd minutes, with Rene Howe having the best chance. He took too many touches in a short space of time, which put him under pressure and his shot was saved.

Swindon will win the league I think that's a certainty, but we are still within a chance on going up automatically. Before the 3 away games we all pretty much predicted 4 points, so 6/9 is a great achievement. We've got to forget about the defeat on Tuesday, the hardest game of the season is out of the way; let's proceed in concentrating on the game on Saturday!

Onwards and Upwards! Yellow Army! Schooner Army ;-)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

drummergull90 wrote:Sorry didn't post a report last night, was knackered when I got in.

Went down with Stratford Gull (Chris), who picked me up at Warwick Parkway, thank you for the lift mate!

Firstly the yellow army were fantastic. Loved every minute of the singing, particularly the 'f**k off Di Canio'.

We started brightly, really nice interplay and passing. Played them off the park, looked like we would get a result. Then they put us under sustained pressure, poor marking from a corner and it was in. All happened in a flash. From that moment on we were barely in the game. When they scored in the 2nd half that was game over, and we looked tired and directionless for the last 30 mins.

Bad day at the office against a very good team. They are easily the best team I've seen this year, looked a real threat coming forward and their defense was faultless. They'll do well in League 1.

As for us, I hate to say it but we looked tired. This 11 plays week in, week out, often twice a week. We can't expect all-action dynamism every game, conserving energy at 2-0 was the better approach rather than chasing the game and tiring further. We also lack a plan B. Our starting lineup is very strong, very difficult to break down and is capable of scoring from anywhere. However, when a team have us worked out we have nothing to resort to. Ateino when he came on was woeful, Jarvis anonymous. Danny also had an extremely poor game, didn't run the wings at all.

Special mention to Mark Ellis however, who was immense last night. Saw him have a word in Di Canio's ear as he left the field, wouldn't be surprised to see him go there in the summer.
Still, onward and upward. Still think we can go up automatically, especially with our fantastic support.

COYY

Ellis might very well go to Swindon in the summer but Di Canio won't be there. He will be at the helm at Upton Park regardless of if Big Sam gets them up or not IMO.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Here is the 1st video that I took yesterday at Swindon (uploaded onto the TorquayFans.com youtube channel).

[youtube]NsQQDIAJ9kA[/youtube]
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Review of the game on my blog..

http://bit.ly/GEoF4R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Here is my 2nd (and last) video that I took last night at Swindon.

[youtube]jN5CgBHSICQ[/youtube]
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

drummergull90 wrote: Special mention to Mark Ellis however, who was immense last night. Saw him have a word in Di Canio's ear as he left the field, wouldn't be surprised to see him go there in the summer.
I've no idea how you got from "had a word with Di Canio" to "is going to Swindon". That's a leap, even for us pessimistic fans. Hell, I spoke to Thierry Henry last year, but as yet I'm still not playing for New York.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Haha Danny that's me stood in most of that 2nd video.. :P