swindon town v torquay united - 20/3/2012

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

swindon town v torquay united - 20/3/2012

Post by bixieupnorth »

after i made it to 5/5 threads started that we have won, i've thought long and hard about whether to lay my record on the line for what is arguably the single toughest match we will play this season?

after watching both of out away wins i am convinced we possess the ability and know how to go to the county ground on tuesday night and come away with a positive result

we impressed me hugley in the wins at rotherham and burton, two completely different performance, a real backs to the waller on tuesday and a comparative stroll in the park yesterday. our defensive unit is so confident, so strong that you almost cant see anyone breaching it? the burton goal was a complete freak, bobby claiming the ball high and comfortable for the umpteenth time in the game but landing awkwardly on saah and understandably losing his precious grip on the match ball. that'll never ever happen to him again i'll warrant?

so we should be confident, we've rediscovered our long lost scoring touch, swindon will be rattled after losing to crewe, and will surely have a good part of their minds focussed on what for most players will be their first trip to wembly on sunday, we really couldnt meet them at a better time
still keeping the faith
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A matchday thread already, well it is on Tuesday after all! I'll be there, singing my heart out once again with fellow Yellow Army singers, creating a good atmosphere. I cannot wait for this one, 1st v 2nd, hoping for a good result, even though it will be a tricky game.

COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Me and me old dear will be there cheering us on too!! Who ever thought at the start of the season that this game would be 1st v 2nd, involving our little Torquay, madness!!
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

We'l do the double over them. 0-1 to the gulls, jarvis gettin one in the second half
Paolos meatballs
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Bodin

Post by Paolos meatballs »

We've not being playing well lately, but the quality on our side has often pulled us through. Having said that, our loss at Crewe may have been the worst thing for you lot because PDC is not happy and will no doubt be giving them a rocket. Some of our squad appear to have become a tad complacent lately.

We have been missing Caddis whom is injured, and he may be back for Tuesday. Without him Ritchie has not been as potent as usual and the back line have been disjointed. If he is still out, you have a pretty decent chance of getting something from the game.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Bixie stop it with the matchday thread obsession, besides...................i wanted to do it! :'(

The lads can get battered 6-0 on tuesday as the hard work is done, away wins over Rotherham & Burton. Nobody expects us to come away from Swindon from anything so if we don't then fine, we already have those 6 points in the bag. That said, Bix is right about the cup possibly being on the player's minds and we can exploit that. There is absolutely no reason why we can't go there and win again. Teams in this league are now fearing us because we are on fire and Swindon would do well to fear us also. If they don't they could find themselves on the end of a defeat.

That said, the lads put in a lot of work and effort yesterday and also at the DVS and they looked very tired towards the end. With another toughie just 48 hours or so away it will be another solid test of their fitness and commitment. I am going to go for a 1-0 loss, i think we'll defend admirably then get picked off late on when we tire. One thing is certain though in my opinion, we win this game and we are going up automatically. No question.

I'm hoping to get down to Wiltshire for this one although i'm not sure yet. Is it deffo £25 to get in?!

Anyone know the best places to park near the CG? Cheers. :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

wish i could go!!!! unfortunately i have no chance of getting a train because of getting back and prices are ridiculous! hopefully i find a a couple of hundred quid so i can book hotel :lol: unless anyone is driving from around here?
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Don't really care too much what the score is. Prior to Burton I'd mentally set us the time-honoured target of "win your home games, draw your away games". Had we done that, that would have resulted in 4 wins and 6 draws, 18 points, total of 84 and that should do for promotion.

Well we beat Burton, so even if we lose to Swindon we'll still be a point up on my target.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This match is not going to be for the faint hearted thats for sure, if the team can pull a win of here, they will be left in one hell of a position, if Swindon can't stop us on thier home patch , who can ?

That said even if the result does not go our way, the team will still be in the top 3 regardless of other results, so a slip up has been earnt.
Formerly known as forevertufc
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Paolos meatballs wrote:We've not being playing well lately, but the quality on our side has often pulled us through. Having said that, our loss at Crewe may have been the worst thing for you lot because PDC is not happy and will no doubt be giving them a rocket. Some of our squad appear to have become a tad complacent lately.

We have been missing Caddis whom is injured, and he may be back for Tuesday. Without him Ritchie has not been as potent as usual and the back line have been disjointed. If he is still out, you have a pretty decent chance of getting something from the game.
I'd say that's a fair assessment. I thought as soon as i saw that result that we could be in for something of a backlash performance from you guys. It tends to happen with teams at the top of any division. After a limp result and performance things tend to be very different the next game after a rocket up the rear end!! It will be down to our defence to stand firm to your attacking potency. Should be an interesting watch, even for the neutral.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Paolos meatballs wrote:We've not being playing well lately, but the quality on our side has often pulled us through. Having said that, our loss at Crewe may have been the worst thing for you lot because PDC is not happy and will no doubt be giving them a rocket. Some of our squad appear to have become a tad complacent lately.

As patronising as ever. We beat you earlier in the season and have nothing to fear from your team of superstars.................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I've decided not to go to Swindon. I've got to be up early doors Wednesday and i don't much fancy the prospect of paying £25 for the pleasure of being crammed into a small stand with over zealous stewards. All in all i've talked myself out of it. I'll have to use the forum on tuesday night for updates instead.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We could beat Swindon then lose at home to Port Vale. That's the kind of league we're in this season.. (Having said that, I don't think we will lose to Port Vale..)
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Lathrope rated as 50/50 for tommorow. Will be a big blow if he doesnt pull through.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Good to see Di Canio helping with club unity in the run up to our match!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17432968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;