Win our next FOUR games ....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Win our next FOUR games ....

Post by CP Gull »

.... and not only will we be pretty much guaranteed an automatic promotion place (surely?) but we would in fact be TOP OF THE LEAGUE, albeit (probably) only very briefly!

With just the small matter of conjuring up four wins against Burton (a) champions elect Swindon (a) Port Vale (h) and finally Barnet (a) the fact that Swindon have only Crewe (a) and us at home during that period as a result of their involvement in the JPT Final and the fact that we play Barnet on the Friday night, before their game on the Saturday, means we would be guaranteed top spot, well for around 19 hours anyway!

Simples! :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I like your thinking Chris, we have all been to dreamworld and back during the course of this season, if that was to happen, I will be moving to dreamworld permanently :)

And if the team were to win the next 4 games, then yes automatic promotion would be in the bag, god we are so close yet so far away, arrgghh.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we shall win ALL our remaing games. Of all the teams we still have to play, Swindon will be the hardest, having won 9 of their last ten games. Port Vale have won 5 of their last ten, and Crewe 4. The form of all the others has been quite poor of late, which is not to say that some of them will not be tough games (Southend, Oxford), but they are all winnable.

Of course we shall drop a few points here and there. But the same can be said of Swindon and the other teams. It can be argued that Swindon will have a harder run-in down the home stretch than the Gulls. Swindon will have very tricky games against us (of course), Bristol Rovers (H), Northampton (H), Aldershot (A) and Port Vale (H). The recent form of all these teams has been good.

Given our current high position and prospects, compared with other promotion contenders, we have as good a chance as Swindon to finish as champions, with 90-96 points. Well worth a bet..
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm not looking any further ahead than our next game and will still be happy just to grab a play-off spot. I just don't want to get carried away by the optimism, we are Torquay afterall ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Southampton Gull wrote:I'm not looking any further ahead than our next game and will still be happy just to grab a play-off spot. I just don't want to get carried away by the optimism, we are Torquay afterall ;-)
On the other hand, we're not Bristol Rovers either.. =D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I agree with Dave. A play off spot is a priority and that more or less looks assured but finding ourselves in the position we are in and the form we are in it is hard to see why we shouldn't gain one of the automatic spots. It is only because we are Torquay and a small club with little success up until recently that we think like this. It is as if this can't actually be happening to us although we are currently the second best team in the league with little over a month of the season left and churning out wins left, right and centre against anybody. If we were Bradford or Rotherham for example and in the position we're in at the moment we would be saying, 'of course we're going up - not a problem'. On stats and all known form it is simple, we are going up. I think we are all expecting that inevitable last minute collapse in form that will break our hearts but i've been expecting that since January and it hasn't happened yet and games are running out.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Play offs would be a massive achievement considering our outlook from the start we had this season.

But please, for the sake of my nerves can we please go up automatically.

It is so good to be in pole position, just hope we don't royally f*** up!!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I'm not looking any further ahead than our next game and will still be happy just to grab a play-off spot. I just don't want to get carried away by the optimism, we are Torquay afterall ;-)

Totally agree, exactly how I feel :-D
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The play-offs are now, as Martin Ling says, a safety net, and we are rightly pushing for automatic promotion. But, of course, being lil' old Torquay, we don't want to overstretch ourselves, do we? If we're not careful, we might find ourselves drifting away in top spot..

But I'm quite sure that, seeing the opportunity, all the players, manager and staff will want to go for it. Who wouldn't want to be champions..? A game at a time, of course.. :nod:
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

The main thing is that everyone gets behind the team, plenty of vocal support from everyone - as the players said on Twitter after the Rotherham game, it makes a difference.

As the saying goes "Sing your heart's out for the lads" :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: (8) (8) (8) (8) (8)
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

DonnyGull wrote:The main thing is that everyone gets behind the team, plenty of vocal support from everyone - as the players said on Twitter after the Rotherham game, it makes a difference.

As the saying goes "Sing your heart's out for the lads" :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: (8) (8) (8) (8) (8)
Couldn't agree more! mind you i was still singing walking through Leeds City Cenre! =D
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

That's because you were three sheets to the wind mate! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

indeed! and i will be again on Saturday :lol: Beer Festival!! And by the looks of it i'm bringing a good mate of mine (big Leeds fan) to Burton so treat him nice everyone haha we cost him 200 quid on his Accumulator last weekend so i feel like i owe him a few beers.
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I agree with Dave - one game at a time and I'm pleased we saw off a possible relegation battle quite a few matches ago. :clap:

I'm with Dinger on this one : "We'll push and push until we can't push anymore and we'll see where it takes us."

Up automatically, hopefully. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Erik
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: olejnik

Post by Erik »

That would be fantastic, but lets focus on Burton first :) That is a hard game. IF we win that one we have the hardest game of the season away to Swindon next. But I hope this is THAT season. The season we finaly go up :)