burton albion v torquay united - 17/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

What a win, what a game, what a team! It keeps getting better and better, another 3 points! I just can't believe we are 4 points behind 1st, with having to play them on Tuesday, it is unreal!

We dominated the game, ok they had a 10 minute spell when the piled on the pressure after they scored a goal that my Nan could have scored, but at times we were taking the mick! It was fantastic to watch, we passed the ball around nicely and linked up well. Howe scored a belter, Bobby saved a pen and even Tai scored. Another brilliant away day!

I have two video's to upload from today's game, will do that tomorrow!

Can't wait for Swindon now, COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Enjoyable day out and a good win. Scoreline abit harsh on Burton but we were clinicl today which was pleasing.

The Schooner Army go marching on!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

AlexGulls wrote:Enjoyable day out and a good win. Scoreline abit harsh on Burton but we were clinicl today which was pleasing.

The Schooner Army go marching on!
:clap: :bow: :rofl:
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

2 things I noticed this afternoon

- The anyone else see Manse go up to Rene after he scored that blinder of a goal and waving a finger in the air, I assume to remind Howe that he was still 1 goal ahead of him for the season. The togetherness of the squad as they celebrated in front of us was clear for all to see.

- We stood near the stand and had a clear view of the bench. United's physio is as keen and enthusiastic as the rest of the team, he can run faster than most of them as well , which was seen when he came on to sort Bobby out and when Ian Morris went crashing into the hordings in front of us. Credit to him he seems to make a real difference
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Torquay laid down a real statement of intent today by confirming themselves as true promotion candidates with a convincing victory at the Pirelli Stadium. Torquay ran out deserved 4-1 victors in a win that was as emphatic as it was confident. Following on from Tuesday's hard fought and tenacious win away to Rotherham, it means that Torquay have taken 13 points from a possible 15 in what looked a very tricky set of March fixtures, It also dispels any whisperings of panic and stagnation after two below par defeats at the end of February.

Torquay, in their all white third strip, lined up unchanged for the third game running. Martin Ling has based his team selection on consistency and on a run of 17 wins in the last 23 matches, this policy has definitely paid off. Kevin Nicholson shrugged off any doubts over fitness by continuing his run as the only ever-present outfield player this season, and Damon Lathrope and Danny Stevens continued their rehabilitation from minor injury by taking their place in the now familiar 4-5-1 Torquay starting 11. They took on a Burton side very low on confidence following a disastrous run of results culminating in no win since Boxing Day, as a result there was a subdued atmosphere at a ground where you got the feeling the crowd had grown used to disappointment and defeat.

Torquay started on the front foot, and took the game to their hosts immediately, Rene Howe proving a real handful as the lone striker. It was he who cushioned the ball down from a cross, allowing Danny Stevens to strike at goal from a central position. His first time shot, with aid of a deflection, beat Atkins in the Burton goal and nestled in the back of the net. It was the perfect start from the away team, who, once in the lead, rarely throw it away, as 16 clean sheets already, would emphasise.

A very slight criticism of Torquay's play this season would be that they haven't added to their goals tally, that they haven't won games more resoundingly. Today put that particular ghost to bed. On many occasions this season, Torquay's attractive forward play hasn't reaped the benefits it has so richly deserved, but today it did. Before the second goal came, Howe, O'Kane and Nicholson all had efforts on goal that could have doubled Torquay's lead, a cross shot from Nicholson in particular must have been inches away from making it 2. Torquay attacked in waves throughout the half and they got their rewards when talismanic skipper Lee Mansell prodded home his 13th goal of a prosperous season. A cross in from the right saw the Torquay captain skipper unmarked at the near post, and his first time side footed shot hit the Burton woodwork before bouncing over the line.

The Captain really should have made it 3-0 before the end of the half, a rolled pass across the box found the Gulls no.7 in acres of space in front of goal, but a slight dalliance resulted with the ball finding its way into the gleeful arms of Atkins. Burton added very little as an attacking threat throughout the first half, in fact their only shot on target coming from a very tame effort from distance which offered no problem to Olejnik in the Torquay goal. Through excellent hassling, and organised discipline from the well-drilled Torquay defence, Burton were restricted to long shots at the Torquay all of which troubled the loud and proud away spectators behind the goal, and not the goal frame, all of which left the struggling Midlanders with a mountain to climb at half time.

Unchanged from the first half, Torquay continued in the same vein, both Morris and Stevens offering themselves as a constant danger on either wing. Torquay attacked at will and at stages Burton were holding on for their lives, but with 20 minutes to go they were offered a lifeline. An innocuous cross in from the Burton right saw Olejnik claim the ball in regulation fashion only to collide with Brian Saah who had stood aside allowing the big Austrian to catch the ball unchallenged. In doing so Olejnik dropped the ball at the feet of Richards who happily accepted the invitation of an open goal. It was an error that was not at all symptomatic of Torquay's play this season and came against the run of play: it offered Burton with a way back into the match.

The next five minutes were completely out of place with the rest of the game, in this period of play Burton attacked the Torquay with real purpose but could not force the equaliser. Bobby Olejnik showed no signs of his confidence dropping following his uncharacteristic error by remaining alert to a couple of snapshots at his goal, The Torquay number 1, and bargain of the season, was equal to both to preserve Torquay's now slender lead and in the process dented Burton's hopes of levelling the match.

Following this spell of prolonged Burton attack, the away team regrouped and went in search of the third goal to kill the game off, it came in the 82nd minute courtesy of Rene Howe. The big forward evaded the offside trap and was released into the left channel with a lot of work to do. Ever-confident, he promptly side-stepped the half hearted efforts of the full back and by spotting the goalkeeper of his line he was able to curl a precise effort into the top corner of the net. It was a beautiful finish by a man who showed he can be as accomplished outside the box as he is inside it, and more crucially showed he has the confidence in himself to be the striker Torquay need in the run in.

It was to be his last touch as he was replaced by the effervescent Taiwo Atieno, Jarvis joining the fray at the same time too at the expense of the dangerous Danny Stevens. Torquay continued to attack at pace though, desperate to add to their inferior goal difference and they duly got their fourth 3 minutes from the final whistle. The substitute Atieno found himself through on goal right in front of the expectant Yellow Army, the Kenyan, sold Atkins the dummy, causing him to shift his weight one way, before coolly slotting the ball the other way sending the continually loud away fans into wild celebrations. It was the least Atieno deserved for biding his time and offering an all-effort choice from the bench

The goalmouth action was not quite finished there though. Some sloppy defensive play left Brian Saah little option but to bring down the advancing forward in the box and the penalty was duly awarded. Crucially, no punishment was handed out to the consistently impressive centre back, and just as crucially, Olejnik saved the resulting spot-kick. A poor effort, hit vaguely down the centre, allowed Olejnik to save with his legs, the rebound was woefully launched over bar and stand to compound the Brewer's misery. A misery further compounded by Paul Peschisolido beings sacked minutes after the final whistle.

Torquay cemented their promotion position in style with a 4-1 victory which could so easily have been move. With 4 points separating them and the team in fourth place it allows room for error from the trip to table-toppers Swindon on Tuesday, not that Torquay should be approaching that game as a write off. On current form Torquay are a match for any team in the league and will be going into the crunch match high on confidence and with no pressure on them. With 9 games to go this dominant victory sets Torquay up perfectly for the run in. A hard team to break down, The Gulls have proved to the doubters that they have plenty of goals in their armoury, and with confidence and team spirit at an all time high there is no limit to what this talented and resolute team can achieve this season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great and good-natured noise created by the Yellow Army again, another classic away day. Nice to see all the old suspects again. Gazza B, Austrian, Donny, Jaxx and Scottish, hope to see you all again before season's end.

Austrian, so close to your 5-1 scoreline buddy, maybe i should listen to your opinions more often :lol: You got to make a trip to Plainmoor this season mate!!!

All feels so good at the moment and all credit to Martin Ling, who does everything in a very reserved and understated manner, a credit to himself and our club, long may he stick around, the team spirit at our club is unparalelled.

Bring on Swindon, we have absolutely nothing to fear, and all to gain!!
Heritage gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Heritage gull »

What a wonderful result to wake up to this morning (Sunday in Oz). Another step closer to auto promotion!! Cambgull your posts are definitely not ignored! We in the Antipodes appreciate every bit of info you give...helps us feel as if we are there. Bengull, fantastic match report as usual. COYY :scarf:
TUST member 077
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

What a great game, what a great result. The only concern was the five minute period after they scored, but what a fantastic goal from Rene, looking forward to watching it on the Football League Show in a bit. Good to meet Ferrari and to see BenGull + Austrian Andy (he was oh so close to his 5-1 prediction).
Onward and upward - lets hope we get a good result at Swindon on Tuesday.

Excellent vocal support by the Yellow Army, yet again, today - a credit to the club. :scarf:
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I was so happy today with the result. I called my parents in Stoke Gabriel and talked to my dad for an hour about the game. Bored my wife about the game (she's american). I went downtown and saw all the idiot americans pretending they are irish only to come home and see the awful news of Muamba. That just took the gloss of such a great day. It was 82 here sunny and just had a great feeling day. Well done Torquay. I am not the most sympathetic person but I really hope Muamba pulls through.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Burton in all honesty are a poor side despite one or two 'name' players, that said they still had to be put away and it was done in convincing fashion. Apart from a 15 minute spell immediately after the half they were comprehensively outplayed from 1 to 11. At that point I thought they had the upper hand but that stunning goal from Howe (against the run of play at that point) knocked the stuffing out of them and normal service was resumed. :keepie:

Apart from the mix up that resulted in the penalty I cant recall anyone in a white shirt putting a foot wrong such was their dominance, it really has sent out a message to the rest of the division obviously not heard at TalkSport though as they went through the divisions asking for fans from any game to call in particularly promotion contenders Swindon, Southend, Crawley and Oxford! :Oops:

Swindon beckons on Tuesday, a win would be incredible, a draw more than acceptable but a defeat wouldn't be the end of the world, as the six points from the three succesive away games has been achieved in impressive style, and automatic promotion in any spot will ultimately do.

Although the defeats to Bradford and Gillingham were disappointing, I think they gave the players a reality check, the boot up the backside they needed to save complacency setting in and they've kicked on again. :keepie:

Happy days :clap: :clap: :clap:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

Great day and the first match I have managed to see in a while. So nice to see a Torquay side play with so much confidence, like a few have said the score was a tad harsh on Burton, but when we got the ball down and attacked we looked very dangerous. Massive congratulations to Rene Howe what a performance, however his goal celebration may need a bit of work lol. The only negative for me was Morris, bare in mind this was only the third time I have seen him play, but he looks to be a weak link to me, maybe a bit harsh after such a good team performance but there you go.
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Here's the 1/2 video's I took yesterday at Burton! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92wMaiQA ... e=youtu.be
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Here's the 2nd video I took at Burton yesterday! Enjoy! YELLOW ARMY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzbecjJv ... e=youtu.be
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

anyone know the official number in away end and seats?
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Good to see Gazza, Scottish, Tracy (i think that's your name but i forgot - sorry!), DonnyGull Tony and Ben again and good to meet Matt (ferrari) for the first time. We all did our bit in the name of Torquay United. Hope to see you all again at future games and maybe meet some other members. I couldn't do a match report yesterday as i was in Donny overnight and didn't have access to a PC. Ben's report was good enough i suppose, not great but it'll have to do. ;-) :lol: Cheers for that Ben, im not sure my match reporter status is justified as i haven't written one for ages. Ben, you should ask Dave for the orange type and i'll go back to being ordinary again. :'( . Yours and Jeffs are always a good read.

Anyway, yesterday was a cracking game and all the players were immense, especially Bobby. I thought that we looked abit shaky for a period after they scored but we defended well again despite conceding a penalty and Rene's wonder goal settled the nerves. I think at 2-0 up we were maybe guilty of being lazy with the chances we had and it could so easily have come back to haunt us as Albion cranked up the pressure second half. Tai's goal was really well taken and atones for his shocking miss on tuesday night. It's not easy to score when suddenly finding the ball at your feet in front of goal with the keeper to beat and have so much time to think about the finish. I honestly thought he would cock it up but credit to him it was a neat and calm finish. I don't think we were amazing today but we came up against a poor side low in confidence and we didn't need to be. We'll save the amazing performance for the County Ground on tuesday. :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Warwickgull wrote:Great day and the first match I have managed to see in a while. So nice to see a Torquay side play with so much confidence, like a few have said the score was a tad harsh on Burton, but when we got the ball down and attacked we looked very dangerous. Massive congratulations to Rene Howe what a performance, however his goal celebration may need a bit of work lol. The only negative for me was Morris, bare in mind this was only the third time I have seen him play, but he looks to be a weak link to me, maybe a bit harsh after such a good team performance but there you go.
Morris is a good player and can put a good ball in but he just isnt fast enough to be a winger. I'd say put him in the middle but then he wouldnt be on the pitch ahead of Lathrope,Mansell or O'Kane.