burton albion v torquay united - 17/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

F'in incredible.. !!!!!!

Now do I get member of the month?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Gullscorer wrote:Argyle beat the Shrews..! Do we have to return the favour..?
No, but let's just do it anyway!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Excellent game. Early goal after good work by Howe. Finished off well. Second great passing move to cut through, Nicho supplied the cross and Manse finished. Should have been 3 before half time but Manse didn't expect the cross, and didnt finish it off. Burtons goal was after Saah took out Bobby who had caught it, dropped it and Richards put it in. Burtons heads went up and they dominated a bit but then our 3rd was a thing of beauty. Cross field ball by Oastler, Howe was on his own with 3 defenders, but bent it into the far corner. Awesome
Goal! The 4th, I swear taiwo was offside but still finished it well! Bobby then saved a penalty in the last minute to cap off an excellent result! Great stuff!
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

What. a. game! Honestly one of the most entertaining I've ever been to.

We started off very brightly and soon scored after Rene knocked a ball down in the box into little Danny's path who smashed it in for 1-0! Delirium. We had several more efforts, Rene with a quality chip and volley and Nicho's shot across the keeper both just wide.

Burton had a lot of possession, and a couple of half chances, but never really troubled the defence who were resolute. Then, after nice work from Nicho and Eunan on the left, the cross came in which Mansell seemed to get a touch to. I thought it was an OG from where I was stood but it was credited to Manse for his 13th of the season! 2-0!. Half time came soon afterwards and we were comfortably on top.

Burton came out early and looked up for it. Sure enough, they got a goal back. Richards poked home after Bobby dropped the ball following a  collision with Saah (not for the first time in the game). Bobby looked like he picked up a serious injury, but thankfully got up fairly quickly.

Burton had several really good chances to equalise and only some really smart saves from Olejnik kept us in it. We were poor for long spells, unable to keep possession or find a pass. It looked like it was a matter of time.

Then came the moment. Another long ball forward was taken down near the touchline about 30 yards out  by Rene (who was immense). He held the ball up for a while before taking 2 men on and curling a glorious effort into the top corner. Wait till you see it, it's stunning! And it got better. Atieno came on after the goal for Rene, and had an immediate impact. Latching onto a through ball (despite being about 5 yards offside!), he took it on, dummied the keeper and scored. Class.

Towards the end, the impressive Saah took his man down in the area and a penalty was awarded. Up steps Richards  (I think) and hits a poor penalty which Bobby saves! However the rebound came straight out to him, but he volleyed over with the goal at his mercy.

Full time came to the delight of the brilliant travelling Gulls contingent. A stunning game. You feel that the sky's the limit for this side.

Olejnik - 10. MOTM. Just gets better and better.

Oastler - 7. Didn't have much to do but did it well.

Ellis 8 - dealt with everything that came his way.

Saah 8 - a few shaky moments but the best I've seen him.

Nicho 7 - got forward very well but had little to defensively.

Manse 9 - what more to be said. Just brilliant.

Eunan 8 - passed well and supported the attack well, but was quiet at times.

Lathrope 10 - brilliant. Broke up attack after attack and tackles so well.

Morris 6 - did nothing wrong.

Danny 9 - thorn in their side. Ran with the ball and got back and defended too. 

Rene 10 - a tough job up front on his own but won flick ons, showed a great touch, and scored a stunner

Special mention to the abysmal officials, the 8 or 9 Burton fans doing the 'Poznan' when they scored, and the legendary Paul Bastard knocking his lunchbox over the sponsorship boards and nearly doing himself a mischief
reaching over to get it back!

P.S I've done a report on the game for the Football League Paper which is out tomorrow.
Last edited by miltonkeynesgull on 18 Mar 2012, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Pretty bizarre game in which I didn't think we ever dominated, yet came away with one of our more impressive scorelines!

Second half was just mad, barely got out of our half but were managing everything Burton had, until Olejnik and Saah jumped for the same ball, which Bobby then spilled and Richards buried. Button got their tails up and looked like they would snatch an equaliser and had a very near miss when an effort was drilled across the face of goal. We then went up the other end, Howe completely on his own cut inside and bent an absolute peach into the top corner! And was then subbed. I wasn't even watching the build up to Tai's goal, looked up to see him in acres of space rolling it home. And then right at the end, firstly I don't understand how LRT didn't go as he was last man, great save by Bobby (right down the middle) but how did their play put the rebound over the bar?!

Great result, and results elsewhere. Anything at Swindon would be a bonus - I wonder who would have thought that would be 1st v 2nd?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Great result yet again!

Any news on how many Gulls attended?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

Just seen that on SSN bit harsh would of always been a big task to beat 2nd in the league! They are on an woful run mind
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

What a game, what a result.

Brought along a Cheltenham fan and a Walsall fan, both of whom were very impressed by our performance and fans.

Dominated the game, played some lovely football and thoroughly deserved the win. O'Kane, Saah and Olejnik particularly good.

We just never looked like losing. So happy to be a TUFC fan right now, does life get much better?

Believe and we can win this league, honestly we can. The team believe, the managers believe, the fans should too.

Special mention to the yellow army today. Outsang the Burton fans from start to finish.

COYY!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Great result again
Delighted to see the goal difference creeping up into the teens, we will need that come May
Danny once again scores inside 10 mins at Burton and we win
Looking forward to the gull player highlights tomorrow
Really excited for the Swindon game now, I think we will turn them over on their own patch
Di Canio will go non linear!
COYY
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Does anyone know how many Torquay fans were present at the pirelli?
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

I'd say 350, great day out, on bus, almost home
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 17 Mar 2012, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

350 is pretty poor for us to be honest, would have expected around 450.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bixieupnorth wrote:had some on that, some on clean sheet and scorecasts 0-3 with Howe manse and lil Danny to score at any time, -2 at 9/1
shame i didnt do 1-4!! got money back on the -2 and also did 5 goals +, paid for the whole day out and a chinese for me and the good lady!
still keeping the faith