Looking ahead to pre season

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Looking ahead to pre season

Post by Glostergull »

I know it's a bit early to be looking at this but if I leave it I will forget it and it will never get aired.
I wonder whether our club has ever looked to tour further than our home area when playing pre season matches.
I have answered and made questions on the Pop side threads and it got me thinking if we ever did tours of, Say for example Scotland. I know I would be up for following them up there and it would make for an interesting holiday. I know of many teams both small and large who do a tour each or every other year. Rovers in the past have toured the Isle of White. Scotland and the North.
Sheffield and Midlands teams have tourse Devon. So would it be feasable for our team to tour somewhere and some of the fans can take in a holiday at the same time. If given enough warning I am sure some would like to plan something or am I wildly optimistic
PS Dave or Louis. Not sure if this is right section But Banter board didn't seem correct either and I wasn't sure about pop side
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's Torquay related mate so no problems being here ;-)

I wouldn't mind a tour of Scotland personally but I think the Club see us hosting PSF's as a bit of an earner at a time when no money has been generated at the Club so I can't see it happening unless we get some serious investment.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

In DonO'Riordans days we had a great tour of Eire. Guinness, Guinness Guinness.......
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Oh don't tell Dave. we will never get him out of the pub.

Just noticed, not the best post for my 1,000, but there again.
sorry for all the drissle I have writted in th last Millenium.
But theres probably a lot more to come.

Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

If it's going to be a tour of Scotland we need to get on with it. A couple of years down the line & all that business with getting your passport stamped & the hold up while the relevant border checks are completed by Jock Security will put many people off going.

For smaller clubs the expense of travelling & putting up a whole squad over a couple of weeks or more can be prohibitive.

Admin Edit: Content Removed to save causing offence. (SG)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Prior to the start of the 1967/68 season we played four pre-season games in what was then called West Germany and came home undefeated: Dorsten (5-1), Lippstadt (2-0), Leverkusen Bayer (1-1), and Bonner Sports Club (1-1). It was the season we were top of the old Division 3 (League 1 now) for much of the time only to fall away at the end and finish 4th.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Would that be the team we now know as Beyer Leverkusen. wow we drew 1-1.
I hadn't known that. Being only a youngster and obviously too young to apreciate what we did away let alone what happened pre season I didn't realise we had played such a big team and to get a result like that is awesome.

Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

At this rate it won't be long before someone comes along suggesting that Exeter have played Brazil ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am led to believe that Brazil's first ever game was played against Exeter, just a suggestion................ :rofl:
Formerly known as forevertufc
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

forevertufc wrote:I am led to believe that Brazil's first ever game was played against Exeter, just a suggestion................ :rofl:
I think this confusion arises from a time when the Pop were singing “It’s just like watching Brazil” as the Gulls were taking the Greeks apart on but one of many such occasions in our illustrious past. :engflag:
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

yellow wrote: I think this confusion arises from a time when the Pop were singing “It’s just like watching Brazil” as the Gulls were taking the Greeks apart on but one of many such occasions in our illustrious past. :engflag:
:lol: :clap: Made me smile before heading off to work! ;-)
gulltom
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by gulltom »

I would have said a tour was out of the question economically. I'd imagine its very expensive to put a whole squad up somewhere for a week including travel and we'd earn little revenue from the matches due to low attendance.

I'd be much happier with a bigger playing budget and continuing with the usual format of local games and a few larger teams at Plainmoor. Our team has been together for a long time now so it probably needs to bond less than if we'd cobbled together a load of strangers over the summer!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

In an ideal world, they go on a tour of the Innsbruck region of Austria for a couple of days, that would be nice! As said though, it wouldn't be worth it for the amount spent compared to how much they make from it..
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

It's about time the Commercial department sough to break into the lucrative North American market, surely? Start with a game against New York Red Bulls, the the Revolution up in Boston, before swanning off to Chicago to play the Fire, before playing the MLS AllStar game in front of a capacity 19,000 crowd at PPL Park in Philadelphia
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

A tour of Yorkshire would be great playing Donny, Dirty Leeds, Tykes and Whitby Town to finish for a nice day beside the sea!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.