1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0

Post by portugull »

What are the odds on 6 consecutive 1.0 wins preceded by 3 consecutive 2.1 wins?
Yes we have won 9 of the last 11 matches.
Are we becoming the Arsenal of League 2?
I have never liked playing one up front because it rarely works. However the system Martin Ling has adopted is making us very hard to beat and as long as we keep scoring 1 without conceding who cares!!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

It's not just a great run of results. It must be creating another record as well. What is the record for clean sheets kept by a Gulls team. We must be close now. if not have set a new record for the season. someone must have trawled through the statistics to find out. If not i will attempt to do it. but it will take a good week
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Glostergull wrote:It's not just a great run of results. It must be creating another record as well. What is the record for clean sheets kept by a Gulls team. We must be close now. if not have set a new record for the season. someone must have trawled through the statistics to find out. If not i will attempt to do it. but it will take a good week
We lost the clean sheet when we lost to Bradford! Although I think we went 16 games last season without conceding I think which was the record
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

Yellow4life wrote: We lost the clean sheet when we lost to Bradford! Although I think we went 16 games last season without conceding I think which was the record
Think he may mean over the season not in a row.
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

indeed i do. I know there is a record for clean sheets in a row but there is also one for clean sheets in a season.
Unless someone craps on them.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

I have checked. we have 16 clean sheets for this season so far. I will try and measure that up to other seasons

Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

What is the world record for the highest number of 1-0 wins by any team in one season ? - we must be right up there... :nod:
This has been a remarkable season and we still have a couple of months to go
Lings record must now have surpassed O'Farrel and Buckle :engflag:
What a top diamond geezer he has turned into - who would have adam and eved it
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Ok Guys
I have trawled through our entire league career as far as I can go. The records I have found go back to season 1927/8
There are entries for the 2 years before with the F.A Cup but there are no clean sheets on those so I didn't bother to copy them
I have done the record for league clean sheets and the for clean sheets in cup matches.
So far this season we have kept 16 clean sheets. with non in cup matches
there is a distinct improvement in the later history of United and the defensive record has a gradual upward improvement with a few blips. but we are gradualy improving over the years.

Previous good seasons have us with 17 in the league and 4 cup last season. 2010/11
15 league plus 1 cup the year before. 2009/10
and 12 in the league plus 2 in the playoffs and a remarkable 5 in the cup the year before that. 2008/9
17 in the league and 2 cup in 2007/8
previous best seasons include
1999/2000 with 16 in the league and 5 cup
14 league and 3 cup in 1990/1
14 league plus 5 cup in 1988/9 and an incredible 18 league plus 7 cup in 1987/8
There is quite a gap to go back after that to 1977

15 league and 2 cup in 1977/8
15 league and 3 cup the year before
16 league in 1975/6
17 league in 1973/4
18 league plus 1 cup in 1972/3
then another gap to 1968/9 when they recorded

15 league and 2 cup in 1968/9
15 league and 2 cup in 1967/8
18 league in 1966/7
and an incredible 19 league in 1965

there were no seasons before that with anything like a comparable record with one exception 1956/7 when we kept 18 clean sheets in the league and 1 cup match. so we have a little work to do. Three more would beat the `1965 record for the straight league without playoffs and extras.

That would then beat the record for all matches with the exception of seasons 1987/8 when we kept an incredible 25 clean sheets in all competitions and season 1999/2000 and last year when we kept 21 clean sheets but only 16 of them were in the league the first time and last year there were only 17 p;us 4 cup.

it's quite possible we could set an new record for clean sheets for the league season beating the previous best of 19 in 1065/6 but if we want the all comers record it will have to be 26 matches in the league to equal the previous best.

What i haven't yet done is work out an average to see what the best season should be by clean sheets v games played but that won't take too much longer. Although I do need to have a life so will leave that for a later day.
yes folks (that includes you to dave I'll give you anorak) I do have a life.

I will edit to add a few extra interesting fact and results a little later but they did make me take notice so it's worth putting them down. or maybe I really am the only one interested?
Last edited by Glostergull on 07 Mar 2012, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

Remarkable how you have done this in such a short space of time. Really does give us insight in to the progress and potential of our club from the past to the future. Good work!
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Glostergull wrote:
it's quite possible we could set an new record for clean sheets for the league season beating the previous best of 19 in 1065/6 but if we want the all comers record it will have to be 26 matches in the league to equal the previous best.
i imagine we'd have kept a few more, had those damned normans not invaded!!

joking aside, sterling work doing all that research, yr like the albert of this forum!! ask yr dads if you dont remember des lynams man upstairs!!

superb season then, i'd not include cup games, so think we're nicely on track to at least match 19 clean sheets?

Edited to fix quote (SG)
still keeping the faith
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

The man is still a complete pillock, but fair play to him and yourselves on the incredible season you're having.

All the best

TCP
xx
CUFC4LIFE
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

TCP wrote:The man is still a complete pillock, but fair play to him and yourselves on the incredible season you're having.

All the best

TCP
xx
Fair play to you for coming on here and posting that. I suspect Lingy could lead us into the Championship and your opinion of him still wouldn't change, am I right?

Just had a quick peek at your forum and do my eyes deceive me ? :O The first thing I noticed was a thread entitled "JEZ OUT" ...... oh dear, I guess things have turned a bit sour in your Jezolution world, no?

Anyway, like I say, fair play to you and best of luck for the rest of the season ... still got an outside chance of the play offs if you win those games in hand.
tufctillidie
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by tufctillidie »

Glostergull wrote:Ok Guys
I have trawled through our entire league career as far as I can go. The records I have found go back to season 1927/8
There are entries for the 2 years before with the F.A Cup but there are no clean sheets on those so I didn't bother to copy them
I have done the record for league clean sheets and the for clean sheets in cup matches.
So far this season we have kept 16 clean sheets. with non in cup matches
there is a distinct improvement in the later history of United and the defensive record has a gradual upward improvement with a few blips. but we are gradualy improving over the years.

Previous good seasons have us with 17 in the league and 4 cup last season. 2010/11
15 league plus 1 cup the year before. 2009/10
and 12 in the league plus 2 in the playoffs and a remarkable 5 in the cup the year before that. 1008/9
17 in the league and 2 cup in 2007/8
previous best seasons include
1999/2000 with 16 in the league and 5 cup
14 league and 3 cup in 1990/1
14 league plus 5 cup in 1988/9 and an incredible 18 league plus 7 cup in 1987/8
There is quite a gap to go back after that to 1977

15 league and 2 cup in 1977/8
15 league and 3 cup the year before
16 league in 1975/6
17 league in 1973/4
18 league plus 1 cup in 1972/3
then another gap to 1968/9 when they recorded

15 league and 2 cup in 1968/9
15 league and 2 cup in 1967/8
18 league in 1966/7
and an incredible 19 league in 1965

there were no seasons before that with anything like a comparable record with one exception 1956/7 when we kept 18 clean sheets in the league and 1 cup match. so we have a little work to do. Three more would beat the `1965 record for the straight league without playoffs and extras.

That would then beat the record for all matches with the exception of seasons 1987/8 when we kept an incredible 25 clean sheets in all competitions and season 1999/2000 and last year when we kept 21 clean sheets but only 16 of them were in the league the first time and last year there were only 17 p;us 4 cup.

What i haven't yet done is work out an average to see what the best season should be by clean sheets v games played but that won't take too much longer. Although I do need to have a life so will leave that for a later day.
yes folks (that includes you to dave I'll give you anorak) I do have a life.

I will edit to add a few extra interesting fact and results a little later but they did make me take notice so it's worth putting them down. or maybe I really am the only one interested?

Wow we actually had a team back in 1008/9? we must be the longest running football team in history surely gloster ;-)
Matt
Keep Calm. Support Torquay United
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

CP Gull wrote: Fair play to you for coming on here and posting that. I suspect Lingy could lead us into the Championship and your opinion of him still wouldn't change, am I right?

Just had a quick peek at your forum and do my eyes deceive me ? :O The first thing I noticed was a thread entitled "JEZ OUT" ...... oh dear, I guess things have turned a bit sour in your Jezolution world, no?

Anyway, like I say, fair play to you and best of luck for the rest of the season ... still got an outside chance of the play offs if you win those games in hand.
Unfortunately we've hit a sticky patch which has coincided with virtually half of our first choice XI being injured.

The only people calling for Jez's head are the more moronic elements of our fanbase, but every club has them I suppose!

Glad to see BBB Saah has settled in and is doing the business for you guys. I always said he'd come good given a bit of time to settle in.
CUFC4LIFE
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

TCP - BBB Saah???
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/