Travelling TUFC fans to Swindon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Travelling TUFC fans to Swindon

Post by Awayday »

Hi

I know it is a couple of weeks away, but this is one of those "localish" games where we could take a few fans, but as showed last season in the cup game, we actually get treated like S**t by the stewards there.

I have writen to the club asking for confirmation on whether

a) when we get there we are going to be allowed to stand (if we want to) just as the home fans are allowed to behind the goal
b) I can take the drum in

Once I have a response I will let you know. I have to be honest I am seriously considering not going to this game based on our treatment on our last visit. However if the club confirm we will be treated like sensible human beings rather than the S**t on their shoes like last time then I will go. I know it is a silly reason to base my decision on, but for a club who want to charge £25 for a league 2 game (remembering Reading just up the road in the Championship only charge £28) I want my expenditure justified.

I didn't ask about the use on firearms towards "Dick"Annio I just pressumed this will be ok after the way he "waved" at our fans at Plainmoor.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

My nearest game yet boycotting it due to the ridiculous charge. Will be buying a nice bottle of red, listening on player, pocketing £15 and going to Barnet a few weeks later instead.
TUST #324
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'm going to try and get to this one. I agree 100% with numpte about the ticket price, it is obscene and i normally would have done the same but i've never been to Swindon so it will be one to tick off and perhaps not return to. Slightly disturbed to hear about treatment of our fans at previous visits but i'll risk it, it'll take more than one steward to get ME out! Even though i am always impeccably behaved at away games barring the occasional random rant. ;-) ( Ask Jeff!) :lol:

Probably have to do an overnighter if i do go so anyone know of any decent hotels nearish the ground?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The County Ground is a ground I've been to. As long as there are no motorway issues, it's only a couple or three hours from TQ1. As it's midweek, I don't know whether I'll be going. I can see that many will chose to go and leave TQ1 about 16:00 hrs ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Ye Gods and little fishes. I sincerely hope that Paul Bastard doesn't take his 4 course dinner with wine and silver service in there. He is likely to end up in the mother of all rucks when they see his wine waiter and plastic knives and forks. Not to mention the table cloth :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Trojan 67 wrote:The County Ground is a ground I've been to. As long as there are no motorway issues, it's only a couple or three hours from TQ1. As it's midweek, I don't know whether I'll be going. I can see that many will chose to go and leave TQ1 about 16:00 hrs ?
Two hours is pushing it, even without motorway issues. If you get from Torquay to Swindon in two hours you're almost certainly breaking the speed limit somewhere along the way..
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

You'l be damn lucky to push it all the way in 3 hours or even more. depends on how heavy it is.
Seriously. The M4 is notorious for crashes or something to hold up the traffic. If the worst happens you can leave the M4 at Tormarton (Bath Junction) and go up the 46 to Cirencester and take the 417 down to Swindon. it's better than using the M5 cos that darned road is also awfull for crashes too. The Ciren Road is good and reasonably fast. cutting across as it does to the Dual carriagway 417 which goes all the way to Swindon. The best junction to get off the 417 is the last roundabout before the M4.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

I went to that cup game last season in a minibus and when we arrived at the ground two of us were bursting for a pee! We went up to their supporters bar knowing it was home fans only but explained our situation but the guy on the door said no and wouldnt let us in....!! We asked where the nearest loo was and he pointed to the pub, thats home fans only but at least they would let us in.

We went into the ground early and on doing so the stewards had just a few rows of seats for us (about 80 seats). I told one of them that we will bring more than this but he said they had been told to expect 100 at the most. However we had just about 200 and they kept letting us have a few more rows every time more fans came in, pathetic really.

This is an away game I could probably get to but to be honest the thought of paying £25 to watch division four footie is a big put off so may well give it a miss and save my money.
tufc4life1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: okane

Post by tufc4life1 »

I also went to that cup game my worst away game ever,i also got into ground as soon as turnstiles opened and wanted to go into top left of stand to take pictures but they wouldn't let me :( then half way through the first half because we were out singing swindle they told us to sit down and stop playing drum, i remember Mark bithell got kicked out and i think it was Dave who grabbed him for standing up in front of him so he couldn't see and they surrounded Dave with 5 or 6 stewards :O

i think reason they told us to sit down was as it was getting heated between the 2 sets of fans and kids were aloud in for free so it to stop trouble,
however reason why there were angry town fans so close to us was because they had shut the stand opposite us so fans that usually go in there were in stand next to us.

As for going to the game i hope to go again but if stewards are like they were ill NEVER go back again.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

TUFC4life - In Dave's defence, Mark wouldn't sit properly in his chair. He kept sitting on the back bit. Dave had asked him 3 times to move and he even moved himself. Eventually Dave snapped and made Mark sit down. The stewards went to kick out Dave, but when we explained what was going on, they watched the video back and saw that Mark wasn't sitting down.

It had nothing to do with the fact when Dave stood up he towered over the Danny Stevensesque steward, who then s**t his pants and asked Dave to sit back down again whilst he got some back up. When the other 6 dwarves arrived, they realised even if they stood on each others shoulders they were still no match for Dave, decided it was easier to kick Mark out. Also they had heard that Mark needed to get home to feed his cats.
tufc4life1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: okane

Post by tufc4life1 »

Away day i weren't saying Dave was in the wrong Mark was,
but problem wouldn't of happened if we were aloud to stand up haha,
there the most awkward stewards I've come across they didn't have a clue.

:) i remember all the stewards surrounding Dave found it funny 6 or 7 of them for 1 person was a joke.

hopefully we can take 700+ to this one but we said same for cheltenham and only 450 went :(

hopefully they let you bring drum in but i pretty sure there was a drum there that day we went??
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Only just seen this. To be fair to those stewards they were absolutely fine with me. Polite, offered to go check the video footage and then quite happy to allow me to stay and watch the end of the game after telling me they could see me asking Mark to sit down. Mark wasn't quite so happy having been thrown out but we spoke about it at Gillingham and he saw the error of his ways ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Mate, you are confusing "fine" with "scared"
tufctillidie
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by tufctillidie »

I'm thinking of driving up to this one after work, the only think is i finish at 4:30, would that be enough time to get up to Swindon or not? :/

Matt
Keep Calm. Support Torquay United
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Should be enough time. Coach is leaving at 3.15 from Torquay so should get there just in time if traffics kind to you.