Torquay United vs Bristol Rovers Game (10/3/12 15:00)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Never have I come away from a match having drawn, feeling like we had won, such was the euphoria at the end of 90 minutes.
How many times have we said that when the going gets tough we need people to step up to the plate, and how many times is that person Lee Mansell?! Once again a never say die attitude from him was the difference between one point and zero points.
The first half was one of frustration - we wasted two clear cut chances. One from "walk away Rene" who, when one on one with ex Gull Bevan, fluffed his chance by wanting too many chances before shooting. The second "opportunity" was lost when Howe was blatantly fouled in the box, with the referee getting a fantastic view of the incident. Unfortunatly for us he bottled the decision that would have been made in front of a packed away end.
It appeared that that first half was going to finish 0-0 when, against the run of play, Harrold (the one player SG was worried about) scored with a deflected shot past the flailing arms of an otherwise resolute Bobby.

The second half was, again, one of frustration as Torquay, for all their huffing and puffing, failed to get the killer ball up to the hardworking Rene.
Oastler was getting continually beaten by the impressive looking Muzzy who clearly had a point to prove to the Home side faithful. He was definitely The Gas Heads most creative outlet - he failed to endear himself to the home fans when he hacked Nico down in front of the Popside and effectively ended his game.
Bristol Rovers second goal came from a fast counter attacking move. The ball was picked up in their own goal area and, in the space of about 20 seconds, was being picked up by a furious Bobby in the opposing goal. Furious due to the lack of closing down by the defence which allowed Zebroski to waltz right through and score.
It seemed that we were destined to lose this game - however destiny had other ideas.

Bristol Rovers took off Muzzy and within a minute Lee Mansell stepped up to score the first of his two goals. The family stand and popside went into raptures. Could it be that we could get a draw from the jaws of defeat? The answer was yes, but not before a lull in play where it seemed that we were going to lose.
However Torquay pressed forward for what seemed to be the one hundredth time of the half since scoring. From my position at the away end of the Pop, it was difficult to see exactly what was going on - the ball seemed to be pumped into the box continually. Suddenly the net bulged, somebody had managed to get the second goal. Cue scenes of delirium from the Torquay supporters, and the players.
After that we almost scored a winner, such was our desire to press forwards - Bristol Rovers players, back room staff and fans just desperate to hear the final whistle - this came soon after and put the Gas heads out of their misery.

It really did feel like we had won the match and, I'm sure, the Rovers fans felt that they had lost.

With other results going our way too how important will this one point be at the end of the season - and how important was that result for the team. Proof that never giving up DOES get results.

So - I break my losing steak (the last two games I have seen have been defeats), and I head back to Guernsey on Monday satisfied that we have a very good chance of getting automatic promotion

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If Rene Howe once again has a clear sight of goal and chooses to try to go round the keeper rather than make a simple finish, I want him sacked. This is a game in which we were dreadful, and we should still have won. Rene, you're an arse.

Aside from that, horrifically bad performance today, we must have given the ball away, for free, at least 150 times (and I'm really not exaggerating). Just goes to show how bloody awful Rovers must be that we did everything in our power to give them the match and it still took a horrible deflection and the performance of Scott Bevan's life to earn them a draw.

Highlight for me was Eunan, putting one of theirs on his arse with a delightful dummy pass back to Bobby, stepped over it, fell over, got up and still beat the striker to the ball, absolute class.

No real harm done, what with the teams around us, rather unexpectedly, dropping points. Looks like our small squad are starting to tire though, hope we can keep it together for the rest of the season.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Never have I come away from a match having drawn, feeling like we had won, such was the euphoria at the end of 90 minutes.

So - I break my losing steak (the last two games I have seen have been defeats), and I head back to Guernsey on Monday satisfied that we have a very good chance of getting automatic promotion
I would change my diet if I were you Scott! :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:
Highlight for me was Eunan, putting one of theirs on his arse with a delightful dummy pass back to Bobby, stepped over it, fell over, got up and still beat the striker to the ball, absolute class.

Matt.

What made that particular manoeuvre of skilful play sweet, was the opposition player sold the dummy was Zebs.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

So it was, well remembered Troj. They have so many Torquay rejects that I have trouble remembering which is which.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:So it was, well remembered Troj. They have so many Torquay rejects that I have trouble remembering which is which.

Matt.
He doesn't have shocking blonde hair like Bolger, does he ?

Guess you must have been unsure as to whether it was Musthave akick atNico or plunge a jug into Wotton.
;-)
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

did no-one else think LRT just looked like he didnt care?

Also any news on the Nicho injury?

finally on Tueday Saah OUT Mcdonald IN
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:did no-one else think LRT just looked like he didnt care?

I had every confidence in LRT when he came on and certainly it was "a like for like" replacement. Gave us something done the left touchline 2nd half, especially after Stevens went off and Morris did what Stevens should have been doing which was hugging the line and giving us width.

Edit : come here . . . there's more . . .

I won't break my New Year's resolution with regard to all out personal attack on Danny Stevens. But for cry sakes, he was piss poor today. That is as mild as I can put it.

Now constructive criticism : piss poor touch, piss poor ball control, and out muscled in the middle of the park (and what the f*ck was he doing "hiding" in the middle when he's supposed to be on the wing ?).

Rightfully taken off.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

To be fair to Danny Stevens, the guy (kid) has only just come back from an injury which every one of us expected he would be out for much longer. I know he's a professional footballer but I could be pretty much certain that re-doing the injury will have been on his mind for the entire game. When there's something else on your mind, there is no way that you can be first to every tackle or misplaced ball.

I wasn't at the game, so I cannot comment on his performance, only how the human mind works which I believe I have at least a little understanding of.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Sounds like a great afternoon...the grocery shop went well and was watching livetext on phone throughout :-D
With Bevs in goal, there was always the opportunity for some late goals and they came - what a leader Mansell has been this season. :bow:
Young Mr JArvis has now had 3 goes on the pineapple - I'm not feeling that he will deliver 10 goals between now and the end of season - which I first thought he might. :-/ How did he get on as sub today?
We certainly create plenty, but convert too few. We will need more potency up front next season in Div1 :-D
Looking forward to the gullplayer highlights tomorrow - as always
COYY
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:did no-one else think LRT just looked like he didnt care?

I spoke to Nicho after the game and he said it wasn't anything to worry about. it felt ok and unless there is any unexpected swelling or after affects he expects to be ok for Tuesday night.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

What a fine come back yesterday. We looked dead and buried when Zebroski scored. But the manager had the gumption to go to 442 and I thought Atieno alongside Howe worked well for the first time this season.

It was a game which was all about United -past and present. The present United worked in fits and starts. Occasionally showing why we are pushing for promotion and then allowing ourselves to be throttled in midfield where ex-Gull Stanley was very effective in breaking up play.

Two of the three other ex-Gulls - Caryol and Zebroski - ran us ragged down the wings, especially against Oastler, until their second goal. And, finally, Bevan made some fine stops in the final 20 minutes when we changed things to try and rescue the game.

I thought LRT did very well coming on for Nicho and his no nonsense approach gives a lot of confidence that we have sufficient left footed defensive cover.

For me, Jarvis was the puzzler. I just can't see what he brings to the team - a bit like McPhee he appears to be playing out of position and with no confidence.

For anyone who is interested my assessment of player performances was as follows:

Olejnic 8
Oastler 6
Saah. 7
Ellis 7
Nicho 6
Mansell 8
Lathrope 5
O'Kane 7
Stevens 5
Howe 8
Morris 7

LRT 6
Jarvis 5
Atieno 7

Officials 7

Crowd and atmosphere 8

Entertainment value 9
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

Not sure why everyone thought it was a poor performance, i thought we did really well first half and the first goal was against the run of play, the only period i thought we truly were bad was 45-70 ish, as soon as we got 1 goal i felt pretty confident in our ability. They did boss the game for that period, but for the majority of the first half and the latter of the 2nd half we were the better side. The nicholson sub didnt help, but i thought lathrope had a shocker and taking him off sorted us out a bit.

Good game, and well earned point, a fair result i think.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Have to agree with the dismal performance of the team for the first 70 min, it wasn't until Atieno was brought on that we penned them back in their own half. I beleive Mr Ling needs to re think his 1 up front tactics as the hit it up front and head tennis that ensued never paid off as Howe just seemed to lumber around.
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

yellowmonkey wrote:Have to agree with the dismal performance of the team for the first 70 min, it wasn't until Atieno was brought on that we penned them back in their own half. I beleive Mr Ling needs to re think his 1 up front tactics as the hit it up front and head tennis that ensued never paid off as Howe just seemed to lumber around.
I really disagree we need to change our formation because we got a draw yesterday against a fairly dangerous team.

Football is an advanced game of "rock, paper, scissors" and just because our 'scissors' ran into another pair of scissors yesterday, doesn't change the fact we have been cutting up other teams' paper defences for the last 3-4 months