Gillingham v Torquay United, League 2, 25/02/12.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Or if he's refering to McDonald the player who hasnt played a game yet. And Craig who in the game's he's played has looked good. I'd like to see Craig on the bench at least to be honest.

As for yesterday we were dire and they dominated most of the play. If we'd took our chances at the start of each half it could of been a different game. How the referee managed to send off Oastler instead of Saah shows how bad he actually was yesterday really.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Scott Brehaut wrote: The same player who has appeared in the top five of most peoples MOTM's since he has come back?
The same player who has, arguably, played better than Ellis since he has come back?

I can't comment properly given that I haven't yet seen them play (although will be very soon!!), and therefore can only go on what I have read - which suggests to me that the defence is, currently, no poorer for having Saah in the team.

Saah I thought yesterday was our best player. Definitely a different player to the one who started the season. He made some important challenges which could prevented us losing by more than just the two.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
TorquayBoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by TorquayBoy »

I think the skill was always hiding somewhere in Saah, but he seems to be more confident now and i'm glad to have him at the back :) we are seriously lacking in firepower though...
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Behaut as usual makes himself look a complete buffoon - doesn't see any games but Saah is playing better than Ellis - nice one.
I was actually referring to the loan signing not Saah. Actually Saah did well at Cheltenham but Ellis was absolutely awesome in that game.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote:Behaut as usual makes himself look a complete buffoon - doesn't see any games but Saah is playing better than Ellis - nice one.
I was actually referring to the loan signing not Saah. Actually Saah did well at Cheltenham but Ellis was absolutely awesome in that game.
Because you NEVER pass judgement on games you haven't seen eh Brucie?!

If you are going to slag me off about something at least make sure you don't do it yourself.

I go by what I read, and the majority of posters have stated that Saah has played as well as, if not better than Ellis since his return.

I bow to your superior knowledge on how good our loan signing is - I'm guessing you have seen him play before to surmise that he is not good enough for this level....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I think it's just a dive into a hat to pick out which player he wants to slate next. He'll start telling us SG isn't worth £83 million soon!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Plain fact is we appear to be signing benchwarmers. Aldred,Mcdonald and Craig. Not sure whether Aldred got on the pitch once as sub but none of these players are playing.
If we have got a small squad and by consensus are tiring we need to be signing players who are capable of getting on the pitch and making a difference.
As already stated your assertion that Saah is playing better than Ellis is absurd.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

brucie wrote:Plain fact is we appear to be signing benchwarmers. Aldred,Mcdonald and Craig. Not sure whether Aldred got on the pitch once as sub but none of these players are playing.
If we have got a small squad and by consensus are tiring we need to be signing players who are capable of getting on the pitch and making a difference.
As already stated your assertion that Saah is playing better than Ellis is absurd.
Have you thought about calling that Ling bloke and giving him a few pointers?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

brucie wrote:Plain fact is we appear to be signing benchwarmers. Aldred,Mcdonald and Craig. Not sure whether Aldred got on the pitch once as sub but none of these players are playing.
I do agree, we need some new first teamers this time. When each of those 3 were signed, I don't think we needed to improve the team too much, not without spending £1.5k a week on one player anyway. This time around, it does look like we need some fresh legs in the squad who are good enough for the first team. I have every confidence in Lingy bringing in the right person though.

As for Saah playing better than Ellis. I can't comment based on my own eyes as I haven't been to a game since Swindon but from reading the match reports and seeing the positions in the MOTM threads, I'd say that Ellis and Saah are playing equally well, with single moments defining who ends up higher on the list. Ellis for his overhead kicks and Saah for his goal-line clearances.
Luke.

Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

STUPID QUESTION ALERT!!!

Regarding our appeal of Oastler's red card, assuming the FA are competent enough to realise it was Saah and not him who committed the foul, will the red card and resultant ban be transferred to Saah or do the stupid loopholes of not being able to penalise players if the referee's dealt with it in the game mean he'll get off scott free?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

In theory, it should be transferred but I think we can all hope there's a stupid loophole we can get away with it. Considering they can ban players like Suarez outside of a game though, I imagine they can with Saah.
Luke.

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not a stupid question at all Bigman, it would appear reading this the ban would be transfered to Brian Saah, at the bottom of page 4 you will find it.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary ... ok1112.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

So hang on, there is an admin fee of £10 for every single booking given out, so if a referee gives out 2 stupid bookings which aren't worth appealing for, then one fan's ticket price goes entirely to pay for the moron-in-black's mess up. Only in Britain do we have to pay for someone else's c*ck up!
Luke.

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I thought both Saah and Ellis were great at Cheltenham, Hard to say who was better I picked Ellis but Saah made 2 crucial contributions in that game and like Ellis didn't do much wrong so you could easily argue Saah had a slightly better game. I was at the Bradford game and Ellis had an absolute stinker, Saah was by far the better of the two. I didn't see Saturday's game but judging by the majority of the MOTM votes Saah's name crops up repeatedly. It is not absurd to say that Saah in recent weeks has out performed Ellis. I actually think they are a pretty decent partnership and that's the main thing. They will also both get better the more they play.

I also wouldnt' criticise the signings of either Aldred or MacDonald. We didn't need a starting centre back, we already had one in reserve. MacDonald may well get a run in the side now if Saah ends up suspended.

Where we do now need to make a starting loan signing is in the forward position or winger. Personally again I'd say we need a pacey right sided winger/striker like a Tomlin or Robinson type. Someone that is comfortable wide, gives us pace but can also play through the middle if we need to go 4-4-2.