Replacement for Lathrope

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

CMP doesn't look like a confident striker from the few clips I have seen on Gull Player
Lingy seems to be very good at getting the right person in the right position.
Sounds like CMP commited himslef to the job in place of Lathrope on Tuesday - cannot ask more
Sure Lingy will reward that with a start vs Bradford - all power to CMP
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I had an inkling the other night we might have discovered McPhee's calling.

I believe that since leaving us first time around, he has been selected for England National Game XI at Right back and Centre back, so he clearly has some defensive nous about him. He certainly gave a pretty accomplished performance against us at Centre back a couple of years ago at Weymouth on boxing day, in a side with Scott Doe (now at Dagenham) and Anton Robinson (now at Huddersfield).

But don't forget that last season he scored a hatful of goals from midfield (apparantly) for Kidderminster. Not a deep lying midfielder like he was on Tuesday, but still.

Bearing in mind he had a pretty decent year last year for Kiddy, he could have gone elsewhere on L2. But I think the fact his family is Torquay-based possibly meant he lowered his contract/salary demands to come back here (total conjecture on my part).

One thing you can't deny about McPhee is he's a hard worker. Pele? No, but the sort who will run around all day for the shirt? Absolutely. And that seemed to suit him at Whaddon Road on Tuesday. He got stuck in, put himself about and won more aerial battles than Lathrope would.

Because his passing isn't great, I don't believe he'll ever displace Lathrope on merit. But he'll work hard, get stuck in (witness potential broken nose on Tuesday) and probably offers more going forward than Lathrope. After such a solid effort on Tuesday, there can be no other name to fill that role against Bradford.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

McPhee. You can never fault his effort, he's a hard worker like Damon and by all accounts it sounds like he had a good game on Tuesday night. He deserves another go.

I have nothing against him as a player, I certainly think he was one of our cheaper signings made in the summer and not a first team starter at present, but I do think like others on here that he deserves far more support than he is getting. We're all on the same team here.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You reckon - no doubt you will be saying that Rice could have gone to other league two teams as well. Despite what other people are saying Mcphee didn't play well at Cheltenham. He consistently gave the ball away, in fact he couldn't make a five yard pass without giving the ball away to the opposition.
As for "getting stuck in" - errr basically he kept comitting himself and getting beaten easily.
In his favour i don't think he had a clue what his role was which didn't help.
He is probably a great bloke, runs around alot, is nice to his dog but one thing he is not is a League 2 standard player, nor will he ever be.
Anyone who says otherwise is delluded.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

If hes league 2 standard or not, for the moment in time it doesnt really matter. He is at Torquay player and being brought in to do a job for us as we are short. Now to pick up that he didnt make every pass on tuesday is true we are in league 2, neither did Mansell, Stevens, Ellis, Lathrope well the whole squad didnt. If they were world class passers they wouldnt be in league 2 right now.
For a team with a squad with some players that are rubbish and cant play in league 2 and find themselves 3rd, well it does make you think.

For what its worth, i felt McPhee did a decent job for us on tuesday, no he was no Scott Parker but for someone who came off the bench and made a few important tackles and blocks he did what he was asked. He didnt win everything but he wont its football if he was that good he would be playing for Man utd.

We need to support the guy. While hes playing in a Yellow shirt for us, i will always back him as its not easy. If he was really that bad Ling wouldnt play him. If that is our biggest problem going into a game people worried about someone covering is not good enough then wow. Try find me a player whos that great but would sit on the bench each week and still work his hardest when on the pitch.

Have a look at some clubs in this league near the bottom, they have more to worry about. They got some awful players and are in trouble of going down. So why do we worry, were 3rd something is going right.
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

Brett your wasting your breathe mate! We`re third (equal top), not much to moan about but hey some people are serial moaners and just can`t help it, the doom merchant has got a good heart and does want what`s best for the club but just can`t think in a positive manner, I have my faults as well, some would say I`m too positive and see everything through `rose tinted glasses`! Sh1t even if we were looking at getting relegated I`d find something positive to say. It`s sometimes best not to drawn into needless debates!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Aussie : I hope your back isn't too bad that it keeps you from the pub after the match. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

Trojan 67 wrote:Aussie : I hope your back isn't too bad that it keeps you from the pub after the match. :-D
Sorry Troj but I can`t go to the match or the pub, I`m lucky if can make to the bog! Typing in a horizontal position is more difficult than I thought it would be, pretty much bed-ridden!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote:You reckon - no doubt you will be saying that Rice could have gone to other league two teams as well. Despite what other people are saying Mcphee didn't play well at Cheltenham. He consistently gave the ball away, in fact he couldn't make a five yard pass without giving the ball away to the opposition.
As for "getting stuck in" - errr basically he kept comitting himself and getting beaten easily.
In his favour i don't think he had a clue what his role was which didn't help.
He is probably a great bloke, runs around alot, is nice to his dog but one thing he is not is a League 2 standard player, nor will he ever be.
Anyone who says otherwise is delluded.
Why are you the ONLY one who thinks that McPhee didn't play well on Tuesday?

Could it be that you simply can't bear to be wrong and therefore would rather continue your one man crusade against anybody you don't like in the team?

The fact is we are third in the league, a position we have obtained on merit, through hard work and a manager who believes in the players he has and, more importantly, has managed to rub that belief into the players. They are playing with such belief and passion at the moment and that is thanks to the manager (who most people thought was a poor appointment in the first place). Players like Danny who most people were convinced should have been sold at the end of the season has now come into his own due to the manager showing his trust in him.
There will always be "fringe players" in the team like McPhee etc, but they know their role, they do the job well and are contributing to this teams success.

I don't expect a "road to Damascus" conversion from you Brucie, but your constant negativity when everybody else sees positive actions maybe means that you are seeing something that, quite frankly, isn't there.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Aussie wrote: Sorry Troj but I can`t go to the match or the pub, I`m lucky if can make to the bog! Typing in a horizontal position is more difficult than I thought it would be, pretty much bed-ridden!
My brother had back trouble a little while ago. After a lot of pain and discomfort, it disappeared after a fortnight as mysteriously as it appeared. :-/

I hope you are soon pain free, back on your feet and knocking back the Carling in proper fashion. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"