Linguistics beats Buckspeak?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Linguistics beats Buckspeak?

Post by yellow »

I think that one of the pleasing things about life under Dinger is the emergence of a couple of names that are becoming regular fixtures whereas previously they had languished unused and often unloved. The two in question certainly polarised opinion, namely Mark Ellis and Danny Stevens.

My own opinions of these two were at completely different ends of the spectrum. I always thought Ellis was a class act stymied by Buckmanagement and that Danny wasn’t a fit and proper professional footballer.

I am pleased to have my faith in one vindicated, and my doubts about the other being slowly but surely turned around.

And why? I can only think that it is man management – that vital ingredient that we missed under Buckle. Maybe he has a better way of communicating with the troops. I would call it linguistics...
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I think I understand your lingo, but I have an inkling that whilst Danny is certainly not falling down on the job, the coupling of Ellis and Saah in defence is also due to footballing management and multi-skilling. ;-)
And Ling is not buckling under the pressure.. :)
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

There can't be any doubt remaining that Ling is better with the players than Buckle. I mentioned on a thread in the not too distant past, if Bucks had been in charge when we had a few injuries and suspensions to the likes of Howe, Lathrope, O'Kane and others our team would be littered with loan nees. There was never that much trust in the squad players that he'd assembled certainly not in the same way that Ling has trusted them. Bodin goes, Morris comes back in, Saah goes, Ellis comes in. Lathrope goes, McPhee comes in, Howe goes, Atieno comes in. I have no doubts if Nicho, Bobby or anybody else was to get injured he would give the other lads like LRT and Ricey a go first, that's the way it should be otherwise there is no point in having a squad here in the first place. We may as well have 11 players and just loan anybody as soon as we get an injury. He's been fully vindicated on everything he's done with regards to the squad. I think we are still one body light up front or wide, in that Bodin type of player just for another option so LRT isn't playing left wing but we can get by.

At some point this season people have been written off, Stevens from Day 1, Ellis (by myself admittedly in terms of long term consistency, delighted he's done so well and proving that unfounded), Saah (again me also included), Morris, Atieno, McPhee. All of these players had ? marks next to their name, it COULD have gone the other way but it hasn't. These lads have stepped up to the mark, produced the goods and although Mansell, Nicho, O'Kane and Bobby take alot of the plaudits, rightly so they are our best players it's those squad players that step up and perform that change you from an average side to a good side. A lot of that is down to the manager having full faith and confidence in them. We would have never got these levels of consistency from the likes of Stevens and Ellis if Buckle was here because he'd constantly be looking to try and replace them.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Linguistics beats Buckspeak? Linguistics 1 Buckspeak 0 Answer yes.

Think a better description of Ellis would be a good young player with bags of potential, rather than a class player who's class was hindered, Ellis is clearly a happier player , and has no doubt benefitted from good coaching from Shaun Taylor, and like the rest of the squad Mark Ellis confidence is sky high right now.

Danny Stevens was a frustrating player, every time he got the ball he would instantly look for a sideways pass , or turn around and set the ball backwards, he has benefitted from a manager who has encouraged him to pick the ball up and make a forward run, and take on the full back, Danny Stevens has grown in confidence that comes from playing games, and playing well.

Think Royalgulls fantastic above post hits the nail on the head somewhat, all the players are benefitting from a manager who believe's and trust's each and every player, there are no favourites, and no player sat back thinking I have no chance of playing, because 150 loan player's will be brought in ahead of me.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

It's about trust as well.

Ling has kept players in the side even when their form wasn't so great earlier on in the season and I believe we are seeing the benefits of that now.

Would that have happened under Buckle? You don't need me to answer that!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

SteveDeckchair wrote:Would that have happened under Buckle? You don't need me to answer that!
Nope - you just need to see what happened up the road!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.