Games In Hand..

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Games In Hand..

Post by AlexGulls »

Obviously were doing very well and sitting in 3rd place but with alot of teams around us having one (or two) games in hand over us which will mean once they are up to speed it will be interesting to see how the table shapes up afterwards so I thought I would post the teams around us game's in hand as to me they have some games they could easily drop points in.

Southend:
21st February Aldershot away (though this would put them a game ahead of us due to there game at Plymouth staying on when everywhere else was off due to the big freeze)

Cheltenham
21st February AFC Wimbledon Home (Same as Southend they would go a game more than us)

Swindon:
21st February- Shrewsbury Town Home- A game which helps us as both teams are around us and both teams could easily drop points here.
28th February- Burton Albion Home- A game that if Burton can get back into the form they had at the start of the season there certainly have the ability to cause Swindon problems

Crawley
22nd February Morecambe Home. A game I cant see them dropping points in but Morecambe did give them a good thrashing in the reverse fixture earlier in the season
13th March- Aldershot at Home same as above really.
27th March Bradford away potential bannana skin especially if Bradford can find some form and at Valley Parade you never know when they can nick a result.

Shrewsbury
Swindon Away - A difficult trip where as stated a game that works well for us with one or both teams garenteed to drop points.

Some tough fixtures in there for the teams around us I havent included the likes of Oxford as there 10 points+ below us so dont really come into the equation at this moment in time.

Looking at the fixtures I can see some big changes coming as I'd expect Swindon to get 4 Points at the very least and I'd say Crawley would get 7 points at least from there games with Shrewsbury adding just a point at most as I dont think many if any will pick up points at Swindon. Southend and Cheltenham will be the ones we need to match when we face Rotherham next month in our game in hand over those two teams. It certainly promises to be an interesting last couple of months in the run up to the end of the season..
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

And games in hand between now and the end of the season gives them a more crowded fixture list, which could cause them problems.

We're already doing well against the top teams, having beaten Swindon (H), Shrewsbury (H) and Cheltenham (A), and we have still to play Crawley (A), Swindon (A) and Southend (H), as well as tricky matches away at Burton, Barnet, Oxford and Rotherham. But who's to say we can't win them all? Of course we're going to drop a few points, but so are the other teams.

Anyway, so far so good..
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Games in hand mean next to nothing. League is too tight, too unpredictable to be banking on 'well we've got a game in hand' Points on the board for me everytime.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Points on the board are more important than games in hand. We are doing incredibly well and we are the team to beat. If we keep playing the way we are, and keep picking up points, we will put enough pressure on the teams with games in hand and will fight for an automatic spot.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Im not worried about what other teams do. If we get results and keep getting results we will do well. We still got to play most of the teams around us and we can take points from them that way. Keep doing what we are and im sure we will have a good party at the end.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

I do agree with what everyones saying I'm just stating that come the time when weve all played the same amount of games we could potentially be six points off the automatics regardless of what we do due to these games in hand. All we can do is keep up our excellent form and hope the teams around us slip up in there games in hand.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Alex you do talk bollocks some times (you know I am joking).

Personally I would much rather have the points than the games in hand. Whilst we are winning then the other teams have the pressures to win their games in hand. In league 2 it doesn't take much to lose 2 games in a row, or win 7 in a row ;-)
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

I agree with Alex (good friend of mine lol).

But seriously, there is NO reason why we should fear anybody but the fact is we HAVE played more games than those around us, I cant see Swindon dropping points any time soon, especially after last night (thanks Billy). Us as fans should keep an eye on other results, not the team or management however or we may get complacent. I for one would rather believe that we are going to be 6 points behind and be proved wrong than expect to be up with the pace after these games in hand and then be disappointed that we are 6 points behind. Am i making sense or is it all jibberish? haha .. UP THE GULLS!
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

At the end of our winless run, we dropped to 18th place in the table and were a shipload of points behind 1st position.

Who's got what games in hand over us won't matter a jot as long as we drop fewer points than our rivals. Continue on this superb run of form and we will be League 2 Champions by a country mile. :-D :nod:

At this moment in time, I'm surprised we haven't heard the usual time honoured clap trap of "we can't afford to go up" . . . .

. . . . yet.

In reality, we can't afford to NOT go up.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Open the box, spin the wheel...

Take the points every time :-D
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!