Promotion Contenders

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Promotion Contenders

Post by Gullscorer »

Southend 1 Swindon 4. Swindon's fourth scored by Billy Bodin, and Swindon go second in the table.

Is this their first appearance in the top three this season? I'd love for us to beat them at the County Ground in March. Could be a promotion six-pointer.

Because I have a mad mad feeling that we shall be on the edge of an automatic promotion place ourselves in a few weeks' time.. :scarf:
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i think thats a great result for us (apart from billy b scoring that is!) as i fully expect crawley and swindon to be the top two, and then the others currently in the first 3 playoff spots to scrap for the third auto place. hopefully that will knock southends confidence and they will drop back a bit? surely cheltenham cant stay where they currently are for much longer, like us they are defying expectations and keepin up with the more moneyed sides
still keeping the faith
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think Swindon are stick on for the top 3 now, however I really do think the other two places are up for grabs, there are some interesting fixtures coming up, next Tuesday Cheltenham play Crawley, with Gillingham v Southend the following monday.

And Swindon play Crawley the same night we are at Cheltenham , not forgetting our fixture with Shrewsbury who must fancey there chances as well now, which ever the rest of season goes I will just enjoy the ride, where ever our team finish's I will celebrate this as a succsessful season.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Swindon will win the league, I'm in no doubt. Would also fancy them to get past Barnet then give Chesterfield a pasting in the JPT.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Judging from them against Orient (conceded 40 shots on target in 2 games), and against us (pretty easy in the end), Chesterfield would get ripped to bits by Swindon.
I concur with Nick, I think this division is there for the taking for Swindon, which will prove little except that the title can be bought.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

The next three games will judge how good we are
Sat 4 A Rotherham
Sat 11 H Shrewsbury
Tue 14 A Cheltenham
If we can pick up 7 points from these three games I'd be happy.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'd be happy with 4 points from those three games. I think we are in danger of expecting too much and putting pressure on the lads. 4 points from those three games, all tough would be a decent return at any stage of the season despite how well we are doing. 7 points would be superb but best case scenario.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I don't think there'll be any pressure on the players, unless they impose it upon themselves. They've already achieved everything we all wanted and expected of them this season. The rest will be pure enjoyment and freedom to express themselves and to let their talents and skills burst out like a rocket as they soar to the top.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I take your point Gullscorer and no disrespect to Ausgull but we are talking two tough away games, Rotherham where we have never won at (Don Valley) and who have a decent if inconsistent team and Cheltenham who are at the top. Throw in Shrewsbury at home who also have a fantastic squad and top 3 aspirations and yet we are expected to beat two of them and draw the other? Yes we are clearly at the top of the form tables but i'm just asking for fans to take a step back for a minute and consider how difficult it will be to get those 7 points against those three teams. Not impossible i know but taking everything into account i think 4 points will be more than acceptable.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Andy you're right about tough games coming up. But they will be just as tough for the opposing teams as they will be for our lads. Anyway, whatever happens, exciting times ahead. I'd rather have it this way than being caught up yet again in a nerve-wracking relegation struggle..
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

with the run of form we're in, everybody in the league will be looking at us and thinking 'if we get a draw in that game, it'd be a good result!'

We should just enjoy the run while it lasts. it'll end eventually, but we have a chance of being in the mix for sure
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Loggerheads
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Loggerheads »

From a Shrewsbury perspective, confident we can get the 3 points off you when we play you. I think Torquay will do well to get points from the next 9
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Most of you thought the same last season................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

We can all speculate about the points total and everyone would take 7 now but the next 3 games are a test of what this team are: automatic promotion or play-off candidates. Also, can it incorporate Saah into a winning system. All successfull teams have these tests. Lets hope we come through it
TUST number 080