Promotion Contenders

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Loggerheads wrote:From a Shrewsbury perspective, confident we can get the 3 points off you when we play you. I think Torquay will do well to get points from the next 9
You may well be right, however if our team continue's its current form through Feb, then there is only one place we are going to end up, thats in the auotmatic promotion places, so keep hoping.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I dont see why Saah can not be incorperated into our current winning system, he was with Ellis when the team went on its current run from Wimblendon to Plymouth we he suffered the injury, many fans at the time said, Saah and Ellis were begining to form a very understanding, I see no reason why they can not return to that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

With 50pts already, you could argue we only need 6 or 7 wins out of the next 18 games to make the PO's.

72 pts is the norm for 7th spot which we took last year on a below par 68 (69 ;-) )

Think Swindon, Shrews and unfortunately Crawley will go up automatically, whilst we have a good team in the 11 players on the pitch, there isnt much backup although sounds like we're going to get some experience come the loan window so you never know.

Bottom line, we've reached 50 pts so anything else is a bonus!!!
TUST #324
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

i actually think that it will be Crawley,Swindon and Cheltenam....not shrewsbury who will make autos...Cheltenham are more consistant than Shrewsbury....
I have to say this ...as much as i and all us Torquay fans HATE Steve Evans....he has done an incredible job at Crawley and seems to pick out gems and buys/sells well....yes i know he has a dodgy backer but just check out his transactions....love him or despise him the fat b****** ...he spends wisely imo....

BAck on track....i would have Branston back in a sec over Saah ..just for this season as his legs will be gone by next season :~D

I predict a narrow 7th spot for us...would be ironic if we got Shrewsbury in the PO's if we got to po's !!
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I think it kind of depends on whether you think our results have been down to us being on a good run of form, or actually being this good. Given it's been a very long good run, and the style of results (hard fought narrow wins with few goals conceded) I'm inclined to believe the latter, and would be confident we can beat pretty much anyone below us and thus maintain a gap on those outside the playoffs. I don't fancy our chances in getting much from the top four though, most of their budgets and thus squads are (soon to be literally) out of our league, and as such I think automatic promotion or even winning the playoffs is unlikely, but to have had the success we've had was beyond our wildest dreams at the start of the season so making playoffs would be fantastic!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We have as good a chance of beating the top clubs as we have of beating the other teams in the division. We have already beaten Swindon (1-0).
OK we lost at Accrington, Shrewsbury and Southend, but that was last year. And if Bristol Rovers can win at Cheltenham, so can we. We're on a great run, and we are top of the recent form table. If we can maintain our form, we can rightly be regarded as one of the top clubs ourselves. It has already been a successful season, but win the next three games and we could be in the top three. The icing on the cake. Amazing..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Promotion contenders include those who finish the season in the play-off positions.

This season, 7th place will need a lot more than last season's 7th place team who finished with 68 points. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"