Ed Palmer

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Ed Palmer

Post by stevegull »

With Robbo off to PNE, do you think the time has come for young Ed to be given a place in the matchday squad?

Impressed at Truro apparently but was used in more of a midfield role, which I think could be more difficult for him to break into in our team. He might have potential for the Lathrope role i suppose due to his defensive attributes.

What to you lot think? Do we need to sign a loaned replacement (like Aldred)? Do we need someone on a short-term deal (Branston) or do we simply let Palmer be the covering defender? Do we even need anyone more, considering we also have LRT who can also play at CB. Forgotten man Leadbitter I think also had a spell at CB.

Personally, I'm not sure we should bring anyone in and we should simply select LRT, Leadbitter or Palmer as to who is performing well in training.

The floor is yours...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not for me. LRT is a left back, Leadbitter a Right back and Palmer didn't pull up any trees at Truro so I fear he'll never be quite good enough. With Robbo gone, we definitely need to bring someone in with a bit more senior experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Palmer could step up and give us a real home-grown talent to be proud of, but I just don't believe it. Saah to be reinstated at Centre Back and Lingy to get someone in as cover.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Palmer also scored today in the reserve team...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

i've argued this point before about having young players that are never going to get a look in. Robbo has gone, Saah comes in and why not stick Palmer on the bench as cover? If not we may as well let the lad go as he will never get a game, ever. Yes he in inexperienced but if we aren't prepared to have faith in them then we may as well go for Branno and give the young lads another kick in the teeth.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

Agree with you there Andy. I think that Palmer and other youngsters should be given a chance then, when/if something happens to Ellis/Saah Ling can go for an emergency loan for cover. It may give the lads few mins pitch time.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I think why not give him a chance. Hes working with the first team everyday and can only improve by playing games. I wouldnt chuck loads of young players in at once. But if Ed was to play, he would have plenty of experience around him to help him out. He could fit in well with the likes of Bobby, Oastler, Ellis, Nicho, Damon and Mansell helping him out. Thats a decent about of guys to help him.

Where we are as a club, we are safe from going down, why not give him a chance he wont be that bad that we start losing 10 - 0 :lol:
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

SDYellow wrote:Agree with you there Andy. I think that Palmer and other youngsters should be given a chance then, when/if something happens to Ellis/Saah Ling can go for an emergency loan for cover. It may give the lads few mins pitch time.
Exactly. They can't be so bad that they would cost us 5 goals if they came off the bench for a game! They wouldn't have got this far if they were that bad!

If Ling deems they aren't good enough yet for a long spell in the team, then get in some loan cover. "The answer is in the house"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I suspect Palmer is not quite good enough for this level - certainly not yet. He struggled to get into even Truro's team in defence and only did as a midfielder. We need something else really.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

hector wrote:I suspect Palmer is not quite good enough for this level - certainly not yet. He struggled to get into even Truro's team in defence and only did as a midfielder. We need something else really.
You wouldn't fancy LRT as defensive cover, Hector?
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

stevegull wrote: You wouldn't fancy LRT as defensive cover, Hector?
Not for me, hes more of a left back. I would prefer someone new aswell and with palmer also that would be our 4.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

stevegull wrote: You wouldn't fancy LRT as defensive cover, Hector?
No...not really!
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

Ed has come back a much better player. If he continues form shown since he has come back then he deserves a chance. He was solid again today and scored a cracking header. Was better than LRT and leadbitter today.