guy branston

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

popside_yidlad wrote:Is this deal even possible? He has played for both bradford and rotherham this year. Im 99% sure that means he is unable to play for anyone this season. I hope im wrong tho lol
Only applies to permanent deals doesn't it? So he could play for us as he was only on loan at Rotherham. Would have applied to Billy Kee if Crawley wanted him permanently as he played for us and Burton whilst under contracts. Crawley would have had to sign him on loan and then permanently in the summer.

One off the top of my head is Rendell, played for Wycombe, on loan at Rovers, now on loan at Oxford. Loans aren't counted. That all maybe complete tosh though it's a bit of a guess without doing the research...

Not sure I'd want Branston back now think our team is a little bit more dependant on decent service from the back to the forward players, he wouldn't have Zebroski to chase down his awful distribution into the channels all game long. Very good defender though.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Somebody posted on another thread somewhere that players are allowed to play for up to three different clubs during the season

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Loans and permanent deals all count under the rules, which are fifa rules , which states a player can play for no more than 3 clubs in one season, therefore Branston could join Torquay, however cant see than happening can you ?

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/f ... season.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known as forevertufc
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I seem to remember something about Branston refusing to play alongside Ellis, anyone recall that?
TUST number 080
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Yep, and remember seeing him having a right go at him after a corner when Ellis got in his way (can't remember the game). Ellis was dropped for a while after.

BRANNO
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He didn't refuse to play alongside Ellis, he just preferred to play with Robbo. For all the Ellis hero worship it seems Branno isn't a bad judge of character seeing as it was Robbo that drew the attention during the transfer window.

Branston back? Definitely a YES.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Is Martin Ling still on the look out for a player coach, Branston? Just a thought.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its nonsense to suggest that Branston is a judge of a player just because he preferred to play alongside Robbo rather than Ellis.
Why the hell would have Branston back - I mean he would hardly be keen on sitting on the bench. He did really well for us but we definately got the best of him.
We all know that Ling will play Saah so that would mean thats Branston would replace Ellis - and he isn't half as good.
You might want to knock Ellis but he has been as good as ever since getting back into the team.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Branston back. No way, we got the best out of him and would be paying high wages to sit on the bench.
TUST #324
TUFCforever
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TUFCforever »

People have short memories, Branston was excellent for us, and just because he has been loaned out by Bradford to Rotherham and now back and surplus to requirements everyone thinks he is a bad player. Not true, he helped both Ellis and Robertson when he played along side both of them and he could more than do a job for us along side Ellis again he is IMO much better than Saah who seems to be a yard to slow and gets caught the wrong side of players and doesn't read the game as well as someone like Branston.
Branston back.........definate YES. :engflag:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Noone has said that Branston didn't do well for us - but Ling is going to play Saah making Branston surplus to requirements.
TUFCforever
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TUFCforever »

I agree but it only takes a injury like Saah had and he would be in the same poistion again because the way that Robertson and Ellis were playing he would never of got back in the team. Branston for cover/push Ellis and Saah. If they know he is on the bench then they know every game they have to perform and that makes a big difference if you know you have a decent player sat on the bench waiting to get a chance.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

I don't have a short memory but no room for sentiment. He's past his use by date for TUFC, be that due to age , wages etc etc. Loved him in a yellow shirt but you've got to move on.
TUST #324
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lot of good points made above, however Branston did pass some of his coaching badges last season, having that and his experience as back up to Ellis and Saah could be valuable, still dont think it will happen though.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I find it oddly exciting when the board is so divided :)

Provided his wages won't break the bank and he understands he won't be guaranteed a starting place I'm on the side of YES. I believe he was amazing here because he was happy, and while he hasn't done well since he left he could be happy here again and thus reproduce some of that form. He's only just turned 33 so certainly isn't past it, or IMO even at the point where he could've become a bad player in the last 6 months, I just think he needs to refind himself and his form, and where better to do it than in a yellow shirt?