Ellis & Stevens are......

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Ellis & Stevens are......

Post by Southampton Gull »

.........being sought by AC Northampton. Not a great move for either but we all know that money talks in this game.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Sought maybe but hopefully not bought.

Ellis can do better and I like Danny, he's doing alright. So I do not like this news. Not one bit. I may even have a strop about it. :no: :'(

Put yer foot down Linger. :whip:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Ggggrrrr.

Well, I suppose it wouldn't be the worse bit of business in the world to sell Stevens for top $ when he is certainly at the top of his game in terms of how well he has played for us this season and use that money to buy Bodin as a replacement but it would be disappointing when the team are playing so well. However, assuming Robbo is going, going, gone it would be disastrous to lose Ellis to Northampton. I know for a fact that Boothroyd expressed an interest in Robbo after wtaching him play against Daggers last Tuesday but it would come as no great surprise if having missed out on Robbo he has now turned his attentions to Ellis. They (AC Northampton) could certainly pay big wages and given their pretty desperate position in the League might be prepared to pay big money (which surely they would have to) to take Ellis off of us - so I would certainly hope we are quoting them daft figures for both/either of them and see whether they are desperate enough to pay it!

Slightly off topic, but does anyone think that, despite his obvious talents in front of goal, it was sheer and utter madness of AFC Bournemouth to pay £800k for Matt Tubbs from Crawley? He is 27 years old and unproven at any level above this one and yet they have supposedly paid nearly a million quid for him!!! Absolutely crazy!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

On the money with that post.

As for Tubbs, that was exactly my feeling too and so recently after being in administration I find it disgusting that they can spend that kind of money.
Dave

CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Just a thought, I wonder if either of these potential moves to Northampton could involve a player swap with Jake Robinson heading back our way?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I'd already been thinking that way. I would have Jake over Danny every day of the week.
Dave

Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Southampton Gull wrote:I would have Jake over Danny every day of the week.
Each to their own, but I'm not sure what Robinson offers that Stevens doesn't, besides a few extra goals. Danny, for me, is more of a team player, supports his full-back defensively, and can put in a decent delivery (did Jake ever cross the ball?!).
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I'd let Danny leave if we can get someone else in to replace him. 6 months ago he was worth nothing, so any value could be a good deal for us.

Ellis however, I would be gutted to see leave. Local boy, finally getting a run in the team and establishing himself. With Robertson going we should be offering him a 3 year deal first thing tomorrow morning.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Chris B wrote: Each to their own, but I'm not sure what Robinson offers that Stevens doesn't, besides a few extra goals. Danny, for me, is more of a team player, supports his full-back defensively, and can put in a decent delivery (did Jake ever cross the ball?!).
It's more the inconsistency of Jake that bothers me. He started well, faded badly then turned it on for the cameras. It's that word again but he has the potential, if only he'd consistently put in the effort. For that reason, I'd rather keep Danny.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Slightly off topic, but does anyone think that, despite his obvious talents in front of goal, it was sheer and utter madness of AFC Bournemouth to pay £800k for Matt Tubbs from Crawley? He is 27 years old and unproven at any level above this one and yet they have supposedly paid nearly a million quid for him!!! Absolutely crazy!!!

It's bloody nuts. All it does is jack the price up on every other mediocre striker. Tai is worth 125 grand now. :lol:
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:.........being sought by AC Northampton.

Cobblers! :lol:

I can't see Ellis or Danny going to Northampton. I know that money talks in football, but being in a relegation battle, or a promotion battle? I know which one I'd rather be in.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Unless one was offering you two grand a week and the other five hundred quid. Figures are hypothetical but not unrealistic.
Dave

Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Unless one was offering you two grand a week and the other five hundred quid. Figures are hypothetical but not unrealistic.

I understand that point entirely, let's just hope that they are both loyal to the club!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16794955.stm - Let's hope Ellis does sign a new contract. As for everyone else, we'll have to wait and see! :|
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Danny, loyalty doesnt really come into it mate, these players have to think of their financial security before thinking of any kind of club loyalty.
Dave

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

would be a good test of the board's resolve and desire to get promoted. I wouldn't begrudge any player a move for more cash (particularly at our level; getting 2k a week compared to 500 a week has a much bigger impact that the difference between 50k a week an 150k a week), but if I was a player I'd be worried about what'd happen to me salary if/when AC Northampton get relegated.

FWIW, I don't think either will leave. Ellis seems happy and I'd hope that Stevens will appreciate the chance that Ling gave him, when a lot of us would have been happy to see him moved on.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.