The away end

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

And throw a few out as well :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i'll be sticking with the pop side thanks, always stood there, except when the mini stand was still there, and once in the paddock

did the away end for a herald cup final once, and dim memories of being there when it was sleepers and cinders in the early/mid 70s
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

guess you've all seen that fantastic video just slowly tracking round the old plainmoor that did the rounds on here a while back, proper tear jerker that one!!

used to stand with my dad just down from the buffet on the pop, in days of les lawrence etc
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

this is it i think

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aah yes, 50 seconds in, the aforementioned sleepers and cinders!!
still keeping the faith
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

I prefer the view of the game from the popside rather than current away end, but I am keen to improve the noise level at Plainmoor. Previous seasons have produced some electric atmospheres when all the singers were together in the middle of the popside, before Paul Buckle made a halftime request that they move to the far end. I think the solution is for the "Yellow Army" to unite once again at the halfway line on the popside, keep the away fans behind the goal and keep our reputation as a friendly club.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Southampton Gull wrote:And throw a few out as well :)

I knew you were still hankering after those golden days throwing drunken boneheads out of Southampton nightclubs Dave! Why don't you become a steward at Plainmoor and try and revisit those halcyon times by heftily ejecting away fans that sing!? :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Haha, I still work as a Head Doorman, Andy, use the calm but authoratative approach now, Stewarding never appealed to me ;-)
Dave

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

austrianandygull wrote:

I knew you were still hankering after those golden days throwing drunken boneheads out of Southampton nightclubs Dave! Why don't you become a steward at Plainmoor and try and revisit those halcyon times by heftily ejecting away fans that sing!? :lol:
Oh yeah. Thats done it. Now you have given the old soak ideas. :whip:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

You'd be the first one out ;-)
Dave

bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

Why do we have to give the away fans standing? Plymouth have no standing, alot of stadiums are all seating, if they want to stand they will stand at their seats like we did at plymouth, cheltenham etc. Giving us the away would be a great idea.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes giving us the away end would be a good idea only if it is done the right way, putting a section in the popside for away fans would be the worst idea under the sun, it would isolate home fans in the current away end, many like to use boots and laces at half time, they would not able to , so would not use the current away end, it would be a massive own goal on the part of the club, and all honesty hope the club do not go down that road.

The only sensible way of doing this in my view , would be to split the current away in half, witht he away next to Bristows bench clearly, there would be an issue witht eh current control room next to the popsdie, so there would have to be one on the other side as well though.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Plenty of away grounds dont give us standing, so why cant we just give away fans one section of Bristows Bench, but increase that for bigger away followings?
Even if only a few hundred Gulls use the current away end and make some noise, it will be worth it. :scarf:
whits72
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by whits72 »

Rip out all the seats in the family stand and have that as the new mini stand. Job done! :scarf:
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

whits72 wrote:Rip out all the seats in the family stand and have that as the new mini stand. Job done! :scarf:
This :-D
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

I was hoping to comment on the vote, which didn't seem to be heading for the 'positive' result the Original poster was subliminally hoping to push us towards with wording that would have been a credit to Alex Salmond on a referendum ballot.

Whatever the result, we should bear in mind that all votes were given equal weight. An exile who might visit Plainmoor once a season or less & who really won't be affected either way, may decide it's best to act 'positively' & vote accordingly. His vote will carry just as much weight as the Pop Side ever present or Season Ticket Holder who doesn't want to see his favourite section of the Pop Side, where he happily watches the matches from Season after Season, given up exclusively to away fans. He's being turfed out of his area of Plainmoor but his opinion would be presented to the Club as carrying equal wait with that of a Gulls fan in the Outer Hebrides who might get to a game once a year at Christmas.

If the Club ever do give serious consideration to such a move I hope they'll just poll Popsiders i.e those likely to be affected. I doubt many Grandstand/Family Stand users would prefer to be stood up behind a goal.

From a practical viewpoint I'm sure the police/authorities prefer the present arrangement whereby they can get away supporters out of the ground & onto their coaches with minimal contact with home fans. If the coaches are to remain parked in their present position then the away fans (now exiting onto Marnham Road presumably) find themselves between the two sets of home supporters & a possible greater chance of conflict.

Is it feasible or practical to require greater numbers of coaches to try turning into Marnham Road ? If we were lucky enough to get promoted & find ourselves dealing withlarger numbers of away fans next Season then it's something that wil require a lot of consideration. And particularly if you did get a sizeable away following then we have to consider how much of the Popside would already have been lost to building a new toilet block & catering facilities for away fans. Is there room for this while leaving room for the vehicle access point / police 'lookout' platform etc that is currently there + the new big screen could find itself quickly smeared with cups of tea & tomato ketchup :~D .

Should the vote reappear I'd ask everyone to think seriously before deciding to be too 'positive'.

EDIT: Wouldn't you just know it, as soon as I post this the bloody vote thing suddenly turns up again. It now discounts any idea of involving the Poside but instead tells us that all visiting fans would be required to fork out for a grandstand seat. Getting to away games is a considerable financial outlay for any fan, particularly those on low pay or unemployed. For those visiting Plainmoor it will probably be their longest/ most expensive trip of the Season & for that reason cheaper standing accomodation behind a goal makes the trip that much more affordable. If such fans should now be given no other option than to pay grandstand prices to sit & view from the side you're really hitting them harder in the pocket. What might be 'positive' for the boozed up singer is going to provide a lot of negatives for plenty of other fans of both the home & away teams.
Last edited by Alpine Joe on 02 Feb 2012, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.