February

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

February

Post by Gullscorer »

No good run lasts for ever, and we are on a great one. Can we keep it going during February? Since we don't have a huge squad so much will depend on avoiding injuries and suspensions. But of course the same can be said of most clubs in this division. We have five games in the coming month:

Sat 4 Feb: Rotherham (A)
Sat 11th : Shrewsbury (H)
Tues 14 : Cheltenham (A)
Sat 18th : Bradford (H)
Sat 25th : Gillingham (A)

The toughest game is probably the Shrewsbury one, but all of them are winnable. After all, Cheltenham were beaten at home by Bristol Rovers a week ago! We should get off to a good start against Rotherham. They began the season with high expectations but are currently drifting in mid-table and going through a lean spell. Morale is low and many of their fans are calling for the sacking of manager Andy Scott.

No game is going to be easy. But I have a feeling we'll maintain our position, perhaps even improve it, ending the month a point or two outside the automatic promotion places. Certainly it's going to be an exciting end to the season. How do you see it all developing during the coming month?
Last edited by Gullscorer on 30 Jan 2012, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
knh31667
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: dave caldwell

Post by knh31667 »

if we could 8 points i think that would be a good return for a potentially very difficult month
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I disagree, our toughest game will be Cheltenham away. Rotherham we can beat, although we haven't yet won at the Don Valley - saturday will give us our last opportunity to do so before the Millers relocate next season. I fully expect us to go there and win. Shrewsbury at home will be tough but we can get a draw, Bradford are just atrocious despite having many good players and Gillingham are jekyll and hide so we could get battered or we could batter them.

8 points would be a great return and one which isn't unreasonable to expect.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

On recent form I think they will be fearing us - not us fearing them.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Richinns wrote:On recent form I think they will be fearing us - not us fearing them.
Agreed, and it's interesting to see the views of these teams' fans on other forums. Cheltenham supporters, for example, are expecting a draw, Bradford and Gillingham fans can see only defeats for their teams (though Gillingham could be a difficult game for us), while Rotherham are split between victory and defeat. But the more games we win, the more they're going to fear us. Our good run won't last for ever, but on the other hand we're also due a very big win. Could be against Rotherham next weekend..
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

7 points would do for me. Draws all round except for a win against Bradford. At least that way, it will stop Shrews, Gills and Chelt all gaining ground on us if we draw with them. On the strength of that, if we have to lose one I'd accept Rotherham, providing that we pick up a win at say Gillingham to put more distance between us and them.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

I reckon will get 10 points from these.
Win at rotherham, draw with gills then both home wins against shrews and bradford. Obv not in that order
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

If we are still in the play offs after Feb then I would be more than happy. All games are winnable but also they are drawable and loseable.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

usagullmichigan wrote:If we are still in the play offs after Feb then I would be more than happy. All games are winnable but also they are drawable and loseable.

what a profound prediction usa! Where is Nostradamus when you need him?! :lol: Only kidding, no malice intended. You are right though, if we are still in the mix come March it is squeaky bum time!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

austrianandygull wrote:

what a profound prediction usa! Where is Nostradamus when you need him?! :lol: Only kidding, no malice intended. You are right though, if we are still in the mix come March it is squeaky bum time!
well the world will end on Feb 1st. Well we seem to be getting carried away.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Well if the world DOES end on Feb the 1st then at least we secure a play-off spot! :-D
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Our first 18 games this season yielded 27pts and included the darkest hours of the Ling Dynasty to date
Think we will keep going ok, we have got into the habit of winning, and may shock ourselves with an auto spot
If we could get a loanee with shooting boots that would make things very interesting on the run in and could win us a Ling vase
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I think the first line of your post is the key, Wisconsin (your mum had a sense of humour, giving you a name like that).
Realistically, we're not going to do any worse in the last 18 games than we did in the first 18. This will leave us with a minimum of 77 points, which was good enough for an auto place last year. I'd like to see us take 36 points (an average of 2/game), which'll give us the same number (86) as Champions Chesterfield got last year.
Make no mistake kids, an automatic promotion is WELL within our grasp.

Matt.

NB, I've not checked the numbers, I'm going from memory, but they're close enough.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Between Swindon, Crawley, Cheltenham and Southend I think an automatic place is a very tough ask. We've had a nice run of fixtures and have taken full advantage of them, but maintaining that for another 4 months is another matter.

7th would be a dream really, and much better than any of us hoped for.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

We have tough fixtures, but theres no reason why we cant do well in them. We shouldnt fear anyone and we are where we are on merit. If im honest i think Swindon and Crawley have the top two. The last Automatic spot is wide open in my eyes. I dont think our side is much different to Southend, Cheltenham and Shrewsbury. No reason why we cant challenge, we have made it so far already no reason why not.

But.... On the other hand our current form has put bigger expectations on us. The two games last week we didnt play to badly and everyone got fustrated, this is down to the new big expectations on ourselfs. Everyone is proud of where we are but this will be an exciting few months ahead.

Where ever we finish; Autos, play offs or out of the play offs we can be proud of our side. We have come a long way this season and lets enjoy the rest of the season. If we finish with promotion then happy days.