Clubs tracking Robbo-Now Official, signed for Preston

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/story ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably guess work but the Herald suggests we might get Bodin from the Robertson money.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

brucie wrote:Your in a dream world if you think we are going to pay 50k for Bodin. Swindon value him at 150k (which is nonsense). No doubt we will have got 5k for Robbo, we let kee go for f**k all with no sell on claus and he is now worth god knows what.
Thats why there is little point in supporting Torquay - I have actually been to the last two home games but now we will have Saah back on Saturday and start leaking goals again.
It wouldn't be so bad if we actually got realistic money for some of our players but as usual we give them away.
Gawd Brucie (the real one) is back)!!! Talk about depressing!

I guess we will find out later on today whether a deal can be struck or not to buy Bodin - but I seriously doubt they will find anyone who will pay anything like £150k for a young kid who has only 20 odd League games under his belt and at the moment is well down the pecking order at STFC and is out of contract in the summer.

As for the Robbo situation, with the level of interest in his signature, I am sure we will get more than the £5k you suggest - but the fact is that whatever we get for him it is £x more than we would have got for him in three months time when the season ends - so (sadly) we have to let him go. I don't think TUFC is to blame for allowing this situation (Robbo being out of contract and free to go on a Bosman) as I'm pretty sure that the player himself would have been keen to leave his options open this summer - there was plenty of talk of him leavin g us last summer and a move back nearer his "home" was always on the cards.

As for Billy Kee, I agree I would have like to have seen us get more up front for him - but you are wrong about the sell on clause ... we are on 35% of any profit - and that is from a very good source!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Here's a novel idea - reject Prestons offer. (too late anyway). Keep the side which is challenging for promotion. And Robbo could have fecked off for nothing in the summer.
Yes we would have got nothing but would probably have made that up in gate receipts if we were in the top six. It would be nice to show just an inkling of ambition for once.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote:Here's a novel idea - reject Prestons offer. (too late anyway). Keep the side which is challenging for promotion. And Robbo could have fecked off for nothing in the summer.
Yes we would have got nothing but would probably have made that up in gate receipts if we were in the top six. It would be nice to show just an inkling of ambition for once.
He would not want to be here if we did that though would he - so how do you think this would effect his form!
TUST member 328
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

brucie wrote:Here's a novel idea - reject Prestons offer. (too late anyway). Keep the side which is challenging for promotion. And Robbo could have fecked off for nothing in the summer.
I can see the attraction in that but let's be realistic here, it's pretty clear that Martin Ling has a great deal of belief (well, considerably more than you have anyway! :nod: ) in Brian Saah. He has been a fixture in three of Ling's teams and is still our Club Captain - he hasn't brought Saah all the way down from the South East just to sit on the bench for the next 18 months of his contract. Also, we shouldn't forget that although he had a shaky start, he was part of the centre half pairing that started to turn things around post Southend away (we hadn't conceded for 300 minutes!) before he got his injury and it will be interesting to see how good he looks with Ellis alongside him and the added protection of Damon Lathrope in front of him - which Robbo has enjoyed over the last 10 games or so. So let's give him (Saah) another chance, shall we?
Last edited by CP Gull on 31 Jan 2012, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Not normal for me to disagree with CP but I've been told by two sources that there is no sell-on for Kee which is gutting considering one of the bigger midlands clubs is looking to pay around £800k for him.

I've also heard that Robbo is definitely off for a fee in the region of £60k.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Not normal for me to disagree with CP but I've been told by two sources that there is no sell-on for Kee which is gutting considering one of the bigger midlands clubs is looking to pay around £800k for him.

I've also heard that Robbo is definitely off for a fee in the region of £60k.
That's interesting Dave. I am basing my information on 1/ An article in the Herald Express a few weeks back which said 35% and 2/ A conversation with someone close to the club (and well known to you!) after the Plymouth (a) game who confirmed that we did have a 35% sell on. Hope to gawd someone in the office didn't forget to put it in !!! :whip:

As for the fee for Robbo, if confirmed at £60k then I think that would represent an excellent piece of business for someone who we could only have enjoyed the services of for another 18 games and was almost certain not to re-sign in the summer, in my opinion.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I'd love to be proven wrong on this one but my information comes from two people a lot closer to Kee. I was also told this way back when he left, not that it strengthens the point at all.

So, we could be in for a really decent windfall or miss out on one.

The £60k I've heard about for Robbo represents good business except that someone else offered that from our League so when PNE came calling surely that figure should have at least doubled. Where's a tough negotiator like Colin Lee when you need him :devil:
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I would concede that 60k isn't bad. You would surely think that we had a sell on for Kee especially as we practically gave him away (but after all this is Torquay).
Personally i wouldn't pay anything for Bodin but would take him on a free transfer. I think we need a replacement centre half more than anything else.
The Robbo deal is one that suits everyone including Ling as he can now get Saah back in the team.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

60k is a good price for someone who has 3 months left and then could walk for free. If it is enough to prise Bodin from Swindon then we have a player that (with a little luck) could be worth far more than that in the long run.

I hope CP is right on the sell on fee - could prove very useful if this info is correct.
TUST member 328
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

In Ling we trust.

I'll be honest here, if we lose Robertson, Ellis and Stevens, does anyone think they are irrepaceable? I'd back Martin Ling to find some really good replacements if given a little bit of money. Let's not forget that Thea Bristow needs repaying too so he won't have access to all the funds generated.

I think we're now about to see the break-up of the squad that have done us proud for the last few years but that's how it is at our level. As long as we get some decent money in then we can't really moan IMHO.
Dave

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I'd be annoyed and disappointed to lose Robertson now, last minute of the last day means we can't sign a replacement. More likely would be Saah back then another young lad in on loan as backup. But we just don't need it now, everythign is settled we're winning and to lose a key cog to the Yellow machine would be a big blow for us. I still can't believe we are where we are with this set of players. They are a close bunch, we've had 7 or 8 players at their absolute maximum this season and it's wonderful for us to be where we are. My concern is how much longer can Ling keep producing miracles with the resources or lack of that he has. to lose Robertson now would be huge for us and not in a good way.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Can we not just wait until the summer before selling anyone? Ok, Robertson we could replace easier than most and if the money helps us get Bodin then great, but for everyone else then why break up such a well performing squad?

Also, get Ellis and Lathrope deals done asap.

The Kee sell-on sounds like it could be huge. Letting Kee go for £20k and six months later he's worth £800k would be hard to take. For Burton to take all that profit would be devastating. £273k (plus the original £20k) would be a nice boost if it's true...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thats all very well but we have to remember that outside our first eleven we really have a crock of shite linedup as potential replacements ie Macklin,Leadbitter,Saah,Halpin,Spear. Losing very many first teamers is going to have us looking like a Southern league squad - unless of course Ling can turn any of that lot into regular first teamers and if he manages that perhaps heought to be given the England job.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

brucie wrote:Thats all very well but we have to remember that outside our first eleven we really have a crock of shite linedup as potential replacements ie Macklin,Leadbitter,Saah,Halpin,Spear. Losing very many first teamers is going to have us looking like a Southern league squad - unless of course Ling can turn any of that lot into regular firstetamers and if he manages that perhaps heought to be given the England job.
He's done that all season though. When we've had injuries or suspensions 'crocks of shite' have come in and done a very good job for us.