its almost that time of year again!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i'm addicted, but cant make the damn thing give us automatic i'm afraid, anyone else have better luck??
still keeping the faith
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

But do we really want automatic promotion,
I thought last year and again this year that play off route is better
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

The problem is I dont think we'd win the Playoffs. I think we'd have someone who's a bit better than us. I think Automatics is the only way we'd go up. Sounds negative but every team around us is expected to be there and would be tough games. I think we'd give them a game but fall just short sadly.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

The play-offs are great as they give you a couple of big, televised games with the chance to get a good crowd. But they are a knock-out tie, and there is a risk of it all ending in tears.

For some reason, I feel that if we were to get into the playoffs I wouldn't fancy us. Normally a club who slips into the P/O zone later season from an automatic slot fails and the hands of a club who come into good late-season form. Witness us and Shrewsbury last season.

Although the playoffs are good fun, I'd much prefer us to get a comfortable second place and Hereford away to be a real relaxed party atmosphere.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

yeah the money side would be more than welcome, but its a horrid horrid game that final, the whole seasons efforts in one 90 minute period!
i also think we'd mess it up too, its automatics or staying down in my opinion!
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I think psychologically if we just fall out of the top three right at the death it would affect the players for the play-off games knowing that after a long hard season they had fallen short. That mentality is often to blame IMO for teams who slip back into the play offs failing. I also believe that the teams who will finish in the play offs this year are a good deal stronger than last so it will be tougher for us. In short we have to stick this out to the end and try and get automatic because i couldn't go through what i endured at Old Trafford once more.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

austrianandygull wrote:I think psychologically if we just fall out of the top three right at the death it would affect the players for the play-off games knowing that after a long hard season they had fallen short. That mentality is often to blame IMO for teams who slip back into the play offs failing. I also believe that the teams who will finish in the play offs this year are a good deal stronger than last so it will be tougher for us. In short we have to stick this out to the end and try and get automatic because I couldn't go through what I endured at Old Trafford once more.
Can I have your ticket? :)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

:lol:

I said i couldn't go through what i endured at Old Trafford again. I could go through it at Wembley though! :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Don't forget we have to get through the playoffs before we get to Wembley. I have faith in the team that they will do their damn hardest to get to the final, but I can see us slipping like we did all them years ago against Exeter. Rather than worrying about where we could end up, I think Ling needs to concentrate his efforts on where we are now and how we go about staying there. At this moment in time it is all in our hands, and we are not reliant on results else where.

Without using the predictor thing, I can see Torquay picking up 6 points over the next 2 games and still being 2nd going into April.

Tuesday there are a few "games in hand" games. I can see Oxford struggling, but Crawley, Gills and Shrews taking 3 points.

The big game for us on Friday is not our game at Barnet but Southend v Cheltenham. This is one of those games we want a draw or at least a Cheltenham win (I shudder at the thought).
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i think we'll win the next three but after that i'm not so sure?
still keeping the faith
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

lexusguy wrote:But do we really want automatic promotion,
Are you for real?! I assume this is a joke. Did you hold that opinion at 5pm at Old Trafford?

As for the Predictor, I got about halfway through the remaining fixtures before losing the will to live, but I could see us getting 80+ pts and still ending up in the playoffs. Shrews and Creepy are so damn good at home, they will keep amassing points. As for the others, we just have to hope they don't get too hot on our heels. That week where we play both Oxford and Southend... scary.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Same for me I'm afraid
We finish 4th and get Oxford in first play off then need to beat either Cheltenham or Southend in the final to go up...
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

lexusguy wrote:But do we really want automatic promotion,

:red: :slap: :whip:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Just done it and have us winning league and Plymouth and Northampton relegated
Think I might be slightly biased in my predictions =D :) :clap: :lol: :scarf:
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I have us getting 88 points which will be enough for auto promotion.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!