Torquay.v.Dagenham Tue. 24/1/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'd be laughing at that mate if i weren't 6 minutes away from not winning £300. Espanyol have had 1 header in half an hours play. They could play til next week and not score again tonight meaning no win! Gutted. Vladimir Weiss is hite and how they are top 6 of la liga i'll never know. :'(
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cardiff v Palace gone to pens. Come on PALACE!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

All my f-in days, what a poor , very poor perfromance from the team, every one of them seem to have a mare , and lets hope they put it behind them we can only count this as a very ugly win.

Bobby.O could not kick straight , and i thought he dropped the ball into the net, LRT went for a clearence and missed the ball, O'Kane passed to every where but another yellow shirt, as we seemed to be sucked into there way of playing, the ball was just booted everyhwere , rather than passed with purpose.

I have maintained that Rene Howe needed match time in his legs, despite being fit and training, and sorry to say i was right, he looked off the pace, and tired it was only right to take him off, the bright spot good crowd for a Tuesday and watched the game with Dannytufc, and think we had a bit a laugh.

Having said all that it was 3points onwards and upwards.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Job done, 3 points, drab performance. We scored once and kept a clean sheet and therefore we win the game. Simple as that. Very efficient and a bit Man Utd-esque, playing poorly but getting a result - despite our strikers not scoring again. That is the worrying aspect although we are currently winning games. Howe has now had a couple of run outs and should be fully tuned up for saturday. Ling must bring in another attacker with the utmost urgency, despite our goal-scoring exploits from other areas of the field. With another option we can kick on and hopefully not rely on Ellis/Mansell/Nico to get us points. I belive it will be a MASSIVE mistake not to bring in a new face up top. For now though i just cannot praise the manager and players enough for the effort and consistency we have shown pretty much since the defeat against Southend away many months ago. It is truly incredible.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

To get 3 more points so soon after Saturday's gruelling match in the howling wind at Morecambe speaks volumes about this group of players. Yes our performance lacked quality and cohesion tonight, but our determination and team spirit saw us across the finish line. Sometimes you have to win ugly and for me that was more important tonight than being entertained. Another cleansheet, 47 points and comfortably embedded in the play-off mix sees our miraculous form continue. Hope we have left our free flowing football in reserve for Saturday when we are less knackered. Feet up boys, tonight was a great effort.

Some members of the crowd need to appreciate the proximity of this match to Saturday's longest trip of the season. There were some tired legs out there and to criticise for lack of effort or quality was way wide of the mark. Tonight's match should be treated in complete isolation. It was our game in hand and I am sure everyone would rather would have rather played it on its orginal saturday, with a longer break either side. 3 more points was all I could ask for and sent me home happy.

That said, I do hope there is slightly more to write about on Saturday.

Top effort TUFC, keep it going!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Swindon and Crawley aren't playing at the weekend, I'm guessing its FA Cup weekend.

IF we can get another win, we will be 2 points off the Automatics. Ok, we'll have played a couple more games, but that is sensational. Nobody but nobody would have predicted this at any stage prior to Christmas I reckon.

When Ling was appointed the reaction on here was mixed, but mainly pessemistic, and during that 8 game winless run the same- now....we're serious contenders....aren't we?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I still think we'll fall short of the play-offs but for now I'm enjoying the ride. The good work done by Martin Ling shouldn't be underestimated.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I still think we'll fall short of the play-offs but for now I'm enjoying the ride. The good work done by Martin Ling shouldn't be underestimated.
I think if we beat Northampton at the weekend we'll make the playoffs - I've scanned a few in-season tables in league 2 and haven't been able to find a team that has missed out on the playoffs after having 50 points or more after 28 games.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

The worrying aspect for our neighbours is that D&R caused us greater problems in one game than Argyle did in our two recent encounters. Nineteen games to go and I can see D&R picking up quite a few points. Northampton won't throw in the towel either so it depends if Argyle can match them. I think Hereford, Barnet, and Bradford will keep ahead of the present bottom three so it may depend on if the clubs sliding down the table after reasonable starts, Aldershot, Wimbledon, Morecambe, can halt their descent. It's interesting watching from afar with three biggish clubs Bradford, Northampton, and Argyle (two of them have been in the top division) fighting a relegation battle.

Another tough one for us on Saturday and another game vital for Argyle. A win could see us 4th in the table. Who would have thought that in the Summer? (apart from me who is always ultra optimistic!) =D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

bengull wrote:To get 3 more points so soon after Saturday's gruelling match in the howling wind at Morecambe speaks volumes about this group of players. Yes our performance lacked quality and cohesion tonight, but our determination and team spirit saw us across the finish line. Sometimes you have to win ugly and for me that was more important tonight than being entertained. Another cleansheet, 47 points and comfortably embedded in the play-off mix sees our miraculous form continue. Hope we have left our free flowing football in reserve for Saturday when we are less knackered. Feet up boys, tonight was a great effort.

Some members of the crowd need to appreciate the proximity of this match to Saturday's longest trip of the season. There were some tired legs out there and to criticise for lack of effort or quality was way wide of the mark. Tonight's match should be treated in complete isolation. It was our game in hand and I am sure everyone would rather would have rather played it on its orginal saturday, with a longer break either side. 3 more points was all I could ask for and sent me home happy.

That said, I do hope there is slightly more to write about on Saturday.

Top effort TUFC, keep it going!
Please dont take offence Bengull, iam not meaning to critise your well written post or worthy opinion, however i just cant take tiredness as a reason for last nights performance, Dagnehams team went away to Crewe and had to travel again to down us, there players did not look in any way tired, this is not aimed at you Ben, i find the suggestion that going away to Morecambe with a home game on Tuesday, caused our players to be tired as cringeworthy if i am being honest.

Also dont want to appear as if i am being overly harsh on the team, I am thrilled to bits like every tufc fan right now witht he way the season gone, and like you say we got the 3 points happy days.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I am not using it as an excuse - we won 1-0. I was merely trying to justify the fact we didn't play very well. Performance should be secondary to the result and our lads deserve all the praise going for the effort they are putting in.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

bengull wrote:I am not using it as an excuse - we won 1-0. I was merely trying to justify the fact we didn't play very well. Performance should be secondary to the result and our lads deserve all the praise going for the effort they are putting in.
Totaly agree, and i think they are getting the full support and well deserved praise from all us fan's right now.

I actually think last nights performance was down to our team spending 90 minutes for some reason trying to play headers and volley's, rather than doing what they have all season, getting the ball down and passing it, also every player can and will have the odd off game, last night we had more than a few players having an off all at the same time which did not help.

I think they will put that behind them very easily because they won, and hopefully they will be firing on all 4's again Saturday.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Terrible game to watch, not helped by a whistle-happy referee, I must say. Still, as mentioned I'm sure the weekend spent travelling didn't help but we ground it out. Good finish too, although I was just about to laugh at how awful the preceding free kick was!

We're going to need to be much better on Saturday, but I'm confident we'll be back to usual.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Team like us isn't good enough to be really good everytime we play. When we're not being able to grind out a 1-0 is absolutely brilliant.

These sort of games are always a banana skin, and to make it 4 wins on the trot is outstanding. 6 points clear of 8th!