50 points and safety

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

50 points and safety

Post by Trojan 67 »

Another 12pts to gain and we are safe ?

We haven't got those 12pts yet. We face some formidable away double headers in this second part of the season including the up and coming double header against Macclesfield/Morecombe.

On Saturday April 2nd last year we beat Lincoln 2-0 and this is how the standings were . . .

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/Leagu ... 02,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that Lincoln/Barnet had played the same amount of games and note the points difference. Lincoln gained one more point from their last 6 games and were relegated.

I'm glad our winless run was back in September/October and if we have another prolonged winless run I hope it's not during the last 10 games.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Our great escape season of 2006 saw Oxford relegated on 49 points , which i think is the highest points total for any side to be relegated on, Lincoln dropped out i think on 47 points, so yes 50 pts has got to be the aim, in a period of boredom the other day i went through the remaining fixtures of the bottom few teams, and i have to be honest i do not see Plymouth , ac Northampton and even Wimblendon getting much over 40 points if at all, that said there is allways a few twists and turns.

Looking at our side, i think we have more than enough quailty, confidence and leadership in the side to continue picking a good number of points, there will more low's no doubt, however i will beyond shocked if our team does not atleast pick up 50 pts plus, from this position.
Last edited by Dave on 06 Jan 2012, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm looking forward to the beginning of February when I can say we've got those 12pts, now lets push on and secure at least a playoff place.

Although these last day relegation dramas are exciting, I'd rather be spared the ordeal of emptying the bog roll shelf at the local supermarket. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Trojan 67 wrote:I'm looking forward to the beginning of February when I can say we've got those 12pts, now lets push on and secure at least a playoff place.

Although these last day relegation dramas are exciting, I'd rather be spared the ordeal of emptying the bog roll shelf at the local supermarket. ;-)

I do this very same thing every day! Even when we aren't playing! :Z
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

I think/hope we'll do it fairly comfortably. The only fly in the ointment is if we lose a couple of players and the quality of the replacements. It's not going to be easy as we have to catch up on our away games but if it's going to be tough for us just how hard is it going to be for the Cornish? They've got to find 32 points from somewhere.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dont think we will need 50pts!

i cant see the gargs or ac northampton/d&r getting to 40pts!!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

We will be fine but the battle to avoid relegation is going to be between 5 or 6 six clubs IMO. I feel Northampton will pick up AND Plymouth and the teams above them should be very worried. I thi nk Hereford will go if i'm honest and i feel Plymouth, although they will pick up, will go too. We are absolutely fine. We'd need to lose about 6 on the spin and some teams at the bottom to really eat into our points drop to start slipping.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I think Plymouth will be more involved in a dog fight if they keep Fletcher as boss. Although they may still avoid the drop with him.

I just think that what they really need is an experienced old hand with a few contacts, perhaps Colin Lee, so they can sign some players and the youngsters are given some discipline.

Someone else already said it on another thread, but those Plymouth fans are quite annoying! They really d have the memory of a goldfish bowl! When they won a couple of weeks ago, there was a genuine post on PASOTI where they were discussing their genuine chances of reaching the playoffs! What's worse is, that this opinion was not completely shouted down but it was greeted with mooted agreement! Shocking.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The thing which may well come back to bite Plymouth in their arse is their atrocious disciplinary record. Had their seventh (I think) red of the season on Saturday, which is absolutely unacceptable. We have had two this year and I feel awkward telling people that. We haven't had seven reds in the last seven years, let alone 20 odd games. There has to come a point where the League step in, are they really a side we want to have to risk playing?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

I think you'll find the Cornish picked up their 11th red yesterday!!
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Sorry the Cornish are not that bad its only TEN !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80 ... .C._season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Feck me, 11, Jesus! That was a quick thing I did on my phone as it ran out of battery, so it wasn't actually checked and I was going off memory from something I heard in passing about 3 days ago.

11 reds (BBC counts 10, but I guess it's not been updated yet) in 25 games is madness. Going from the BBC stats, and allowing three games per red (which might not be right) and one per 5 yellows, they've had players missing for a total of 34 matches already. They are not exactly in a position to be paying players to sit in the stands.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

50 points has always been the benchmark for safety. 12 points to go and we can look forward to looking up towards the play offs but nothing is certain, at least, we are in a lot better position than in previous campaigns. I remember Hereford going down on 51 points when Brighton stayed up by drawing 1-1 with them at Edgar Street back in the 90's. We lost at Doncaster 1-2 but were safe anyway. I will haver to check the stats to make sure as I remember Tony Bedeu scoring his first goal for us and Scott Colcombe joining us in the away end next to the ASDA car park at Belle Vue. Anyway it's not too much of an ask for another 12 points, or is it???? :Z
Oblivion!!!!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

oxgull wrote:50 points has always been the benchmark for safety. 12 points to go and we can look forward to looking up towards the play offs but nothing is certain, at least, we are in a lot better position than in previous campaigns. I remember Hereford going down on 51 points when Brighton stayed up by drawing 1-1 with them at Edgar Street back in the 90's. We lost at Doncaster 1-2 but were safe anyway. I will haver to check the stats to make sure as I remember Tony Bedeu scoring his first goal for us and Scott Colcombe joining us in the away end next to the ASDA car park at Belle Vue. Anyway it's not too much of an ask for another 12 points, or is it???? :Z
That's memory again ... I get that problem regularly! 1996/97 Hereford bottom with 47 points. Brighton 23rd also with 47 points and these days would have gone down but only one down in those days. I think Exeter 22nd and us 21st. I believe the highest number of points gained by a team relegated to the Conference was 49, which is why we use 50 as a safety benchmark, although I stand to be corrected if not right.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I am not 100% sure I want promotion this year, I am still not sure we are quite ready for league 1 with the current squad / cash injections. However For the first year in many I think you are looking at the wrong end of the table. Rather than worrying about 12 points for safety, we seriously should be considering our selves as a contender for the play offs. I think we have been safe since Barnet / AC Northamptonico / Argyle and D&R got them selves into the bottom 4 without even trying. Yes we have got some tricky games (when don't we in league 2) but with us still having to play some of these teams in the relegation battle we shouldn't expect anything less than a position in the top 10.