Play Offs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Play Offs?

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

Having listened to the game on gulls player and read the thoughts of our fans on here and gargs on pasoti I reckon the balance of all opinion points towards us being the better team and deserving to win.

if this is the case then it is another example of Ling's excellent management so far. Good teams get the goal when they are on top, because they play good football and so create proper chances rather than relying on rebounds. People are saying Tai was OK at best and it sounded on the radio like he missed a few that Rene would have buried, nevertheless we were able to create a lot of chances as we have creativity throughout the midfield. We don't rely on the big man up front to bully his way to a goal.

Also good sides don't concede late equalizers because they are well drilled and are fit mentally and physically. We were able to hold out for the win fairly comfortably away from home against a large crowd and an opposition desperate to kick start their season. On top of this it was the 2nd game in 2 days and the 3rd in a week. I suspect that most teams throughout the divisions would have conceded today in our situation, we didn't and it hardly sounded like the Alamo either.

Anyway question is can we continue to this form and be up for a play off place come May?
Or are we a few injuries or a Eunan sized cheque away from mediocrity.

I reckon the former. Ling is a good manager who is getting a lot of a standard League 2 squad. Also a lot of teams underestimate us.
I know I've said before that we should move on from Buckle, but under him I often got the impression that we were winging it and relying on the few top class players we had (usually on loan) to play well for a few games and drag the team into the play-offs. Now we are a team.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think we'll ultimately fall short of the play-offs simply because overall the squad isn't quite strong enough. The team certainly is when full-strength but suspensions and injuries will cripple us. Nothing wrong in that, with the ground being re-developed and debts needing to be repaid we can't ask for any more than we have right now. I'm loving every minute of this season so far. The football is so pleasing to watch and the passion and commitment by the players is almost faultless. I've stuck by Martin Ling from day one and feel totally vindicated, congratulations to Alex Rowe for pinpointing him as the man for the job, what a quality choice.

We could extend ourselves financially and go for it but I doubt anyone could seriously expect that of the Board. Get the Bristows Bench open and bringing in some money and let's see how Martin Ling can improve the squad given the time. I've got complete faith in him and looking forward to the journey. Compare his style to Buckles and I know which one I want to follow. Satisfying time to be a Gull right now.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

Top post sexy, I think the key point is that we look like a team, everyone playing for each other, yes O'kane is the star but everyone works so hard for each other. Which has to be a credit too Ling and the senior pros.
I also thing we may come up short this year, due to the depth of the squad ,but so many positives already.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Never say never, we could be lucky but like Dave i feel we will fall short. Which is nothing to be upset about. With many fans at the start of the season thinking about relegation, im glad Lingy has proved to be the man.

With what Ling has had to work with, im pretty confident and excited about what we could have next season as a squad. Bring in a few more players like he did with Rene and Bobby and we could have a decent side. Obviously depending on O'Kane if he goes for a big fee and abit of it is invested into the squad then we could do alright.

If were lucky enough to avoid injuries and what ever and can keep up some decent form theres no reason why we couldnt get a play off spot. There are a lot of teams come may that will be around the same as us. Our season could finish not so well and end up mid table. But we have a long way in this season yet, it will get intresting and im looking forward to it.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

why not? if we can pick up some fringe Championship/League 1 players on loan who have a point to prove then thats what might be able to push us on, another play off final defeat wouldnt even be that bad would it? more revenue, another trip out with the yellow army .. however i would hate to lose another final but i'm talking in a money sense for us .. if we are to go to League 1 any time soon then i'd rather it be done with financial security rather than risk dropping in to non league like before .. Happy New Year .. see you at Macclesfield!!
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Depth is certainly the key problem. Keeping hold of our star players will be another. I think we'll be just short this year. Top half of midtable, if that makes sense...
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

As usual, I agree with Dave.

I think a good way to look at the strength of the squad is when you look at the bench. With Buckle, I think we had a better bench, but this was only because the squad was infated with loanees that became firs team regulars, and these loans were undoubtedly expensive.

Now, I would say our bench is visibly weaker than our days with Buckle. However, now the majority of the squad is actually ours, with some economical signings filling in around the edges. It works for us now as we've had the budget reduced, and it's better for the squad as a whole as we can buid up our own squad with players tha are actually ours.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Yep I also agree with Dave. We have been playing well recently, but eventually I think we will fall short of the play offs and finish around 10th position respectfully.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

When we reach the end of february we will really know if we are able to make a last final push for the play offs. If we can hang on to key players and perhaps bring a couple of new faces in as well as steering clear of injuries and suspensions then i do not see any reason why not. With half the season still to go Ling has already massively exceeded my expectations and given me the extra pleasure of a victory over my 'home town' club in the FA Cup at their place AND given me the opportunity to visit a ground ( Bramall Lane ) that i've never been to and may not revisit as a Gull for many many years to come. Oh and lets not forget the double over the Gargs AND the glorious away victory at Rovers. All in 5 months. Ling has dealt with a sticky patch where we shipped goals and couldn't pick up a win and he has come out the other side. This shows immese character within the squad also so this is not to be underestimated. How many times have we seen teams be successful with limited resources. Stevenage springs to mind straight away ( b******s!). We work hard for each other, we have players too good for the level and players too bad or the level which seems to balance oddly. The players appreciate the fans turning up at uninviting away games and they share the joy when goals are scored.

January is crucial i we are to keep up momentum. Every game is winnable, Macc away, a bit tough but winnable, Morecambe away will be our toughest assignment of the month and home games against Daggers and Northampton where we should really be looking at 6 points from those two surely? February is critical - apart from Bradford at home we've got some real tough ones. Rotherham, Cheltenham and Gillingham away and a tough home game versus Shrews. We'll see where we are after that and if we are still hanging on the coat-tails of the play off pack then ABSOLUTELY WE CAN GET IN THE PLAY-OFFS!! I BELIEVE ( no, not that shite EMF song from the 90's! ) I BELIEVE IN ANGELS and I BELIEVE IN LING!! Come on lads!!! No p*****g about now LETS DO THIS!!!! COYY!!!!!! :scarf: :goal:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

January isn't looking good at all, I could quite easily see a manager of the month award after that. As we all know, this is NEVER a good thing.

February could be a very long one!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

cambgull wrote:January isn't looking good at all, I could quite easily see a manager of the month award after that. As we all know, this is NEVER a good thing.

February could be a very long one!
I predict it will be the longest February for 4 years ;-)
Dave

Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

LOL, great comment - I like your style. . .
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

I.M.O. it is most important that we aspire to make at least the play offs, there is no point in aiming for anything less. Yes the squad may prove to be too small, but M.L. has already shown that he is able to loan quality young players ( Billy Bodin ), as long as we don't have to pay their full wages. T.U.F.C. must be perceived by Championship, & even Prem. managers as a good place to send their youngsters as I would think that we are becoming known as a good footballing side.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Aim for the playoffs ? :no:

Aim for automatic promotion and if we fail we might end up in the playoffs ? :nod:

Improve on our away form and bang out another couple of home results and we'll be safe from the relegation trapdoor before the beginning of February ? :clap:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Seems to me that apart from Gatwick Rovers the standard of L2 teams is not that high this season, also we have gained 7 points out of 9 without R.H. & beaten Swindon. So play offs could be on the cards.