Plymouth Argyle vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

portugull wrote:Fantastic result! 7 wins from the last 10 league games with 2 draws gives us 23 out of 30 points after the earlier poor run.
Huge credit to Martin Ling and the team.What a brilliant start to 2012!
100% win rate for 2012 lol
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

That was unbelievable, it doesn't get any better than that.

In no state to write anything coherent but every TUFC fan in that ground will never forget that match, and every TUFC around the world should be monumentally proud of their football team.

Similar to the match at Plainmoor, it was an even match first half, nip and tuck affair. Once we found our feet however and got on top, we were unstoppable and could have easily scored 4 or 5. Very nervous at 2-1, but you felt that if they didn't equalise very soon after their first goal they would soon run out of ideas and belief. Credit to Shaun Taylor for that defensive belief he has instilled, we would have lost that match under Buckle, ironically which Rovers found out on boxing day.

I have only ever experienced that sort of away following at Southend, it was something to behold. More in numbers at Wembley and Old Trafford obviously, but never as loud and together as that, it may take a long time to witness something equally so special.

Everything about today was so special and so so sweet, and its nice to see it means just as much to the players as it does to the fans. 12 days off before the next one should ensure some pretty well deserved RnR time. 7 points from 9 is beyond anyone's expectations. Full Credit to Lingy, Taylor, the board and the lads.

Proud day for the Yellow Army.
Last edited by bengull on 02 Jan 2012, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'd have said about 1,800/2000 Gulls. They had to move the barrier across to make more space. Reminiscent of Southend. Unbelievable following, taking our average home attendance away. So, so proud of the lads and Lingy tonight. Absolutely delighted, the lump on my shin is hurting but it's worth it - 90 minutes of singing and getting behind the lads. Heroic defending from Robbo and Ellis at the end. Bobby rarely tested to make good saves, alot of catches but he fills me with 10 times the amount of confidence than what Bevs did.

Oastler had a stormer, Hemmings is their best player but was crap today, no end product, as we saw.

Chadwick going off so early probably didn't help them, but Feeney (a right kn*b) tried his best, to no avail.

Finally, considering it's not a derby it was surprising to see 11000 Gargs filling up the majority of their stands. :rofl:

So full of pride right now. :)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Matt will be with Dave today, so I'm guessing if McPhee scores Dave will be giving Matt some abuse :-D
I know this is going back a bit, sorry all, but Scotty, if McFree had scored today, I'd have let Dave cup my testicles.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To start all credit to every Torquay fan in home park today, at one point i think all 1800 were singing, and you could hear the noise echo around the away end.

Thought the first half was even to a point, second half untill they scored our team was in complete control, and i think would have probaly won by more . agree with what Bengull, be very proud, very proud indeed, Lingy, Taylor and the team, thank you very much for today, will live long in the memory.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I've never been so mortified after we've won a game. I wasted my opportunity to be a part of it all today by being a lazy c**t and not getting out of bed when i had planned. Funny that as that's what used to happen to me when i had a job! :-/ It was a nailed on win for us when i realised in my car somewhere southbound on the M42 near Tamworth that for the third time as a Gull i had to do a u-turn and turn back because i knew i wouldn't make the match. ( Other two were Bury away last season night game - horrendous traffic on M62 and Crewe night game 2 seasons ago - snow near Buxton. ). We won against our second closest rivals and i'm pissed off!! Mental. Quite what someone is secretly putting in Martin's tea i'll never know but it's working like a miracle. A look at our bench today did scare me somewhat as we looked so poor in terms of quality but we don't need them. Our first choice 11 is good enough. Great start to the new year and the main thing is whatever happens or the rest of the season, we are at least assured league football again next season with half the season still to go. Martin has done an absolutely amazing job.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote: I know this is going back a bit, sorry all, but Scotty, if McFree had scored today, I'd have let Dave cup my testicles.

Matt.
He would have had to find them first

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

**********Immature post alert**********

2-1 to the Gulls!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

**********Immature post ends**********

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:**********Immature post alert**********

2-1 to the Gulls!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

**********Immature post ends**********
:rofl:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Fantastic result! Out sung them and out played them, a great day. 1,938 -what a turn out by the yellow army. Off for a large one. Well done to Ling and the boys.
Fancy 'Little' Torquay beating the 'mighty' Argyle!!
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

austrianandygull wrote: :rofl:

:clap: :rofl: WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot remember ever doing Argyle twice in a season. Wish I could have been there but I will have a last few drinks tonight to celebrate before going back to work tommorow. GET IN THERE YOU YELLOW ARMY!!!!!!!!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Oblivion!!!!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Brilliant midfield performance today. All three were immense, particularly Eunan who bossed the second half. Lathrope hardly put a foot wrong and Manse was just.....well, Manse. Well done the rest of the team too and also the management.

So, so happy and best atmosphere ever!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Where is Brucie now?!!!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

What a great day and what a great atmosphere! I'm going to do a match report because I do the home games, but I'm sure fans will give their own mini report on the game.

However I will say that the 1st half was pretty poor. No real passing or motivation, we couldn't get through the Argyle defence. Plymouth looked more like scoring, they had a few shots but they were either well wide or Bobby saved easily.

In the second half we came out with all guns blazing. For the first 20 odd minutes I'd say we were in complete control, passed really well with Eunan and Lathrope linking up with Bodin and Danny. The goals I couldn't really see, or know who scored because I went mad and didn't take too much attention. If I'm honest I just saw the ball go in the back of the net. When Argyle scored it was nerve racking afterwards, their goal was poorly defended by our part and after that Argyle gave everything they had. However we did defend well in the end and cleared the ball away well. Bobby was on top form again, he couldn't do a lot with their goal.

Bobby 9 - He made some great saves and linked up well with players up and down the pitch. He couldn't have done much more than he did for their goal.
Oastler 8 - I thought Joe had a great game; he tackled well and got up the wing well while coming forward.
Ellis 7 - Mark did pretty well in defence, he was solid and cleared well.
Robertson 7 - I'd say Mark and Chris played the same kind of game today.
Nicholson 7 - Nico did well today, I'd say his play coming forward was better than his defending today.
Lathrope 8 - I thought Damon played well again; he tackled very well and linked up with the players around him.
Mansell 9 - My MOTM today, he came forward well, went back and defended very well and scored a goal.
Eunan 8 - I thought O'Kane showed his class when the ball was at his feet, he didn't have a very good game, but he never has a bad one.
Bodin 8 - I thought Billy did well today, he ran down the wing well and scored.
Stevens 6 - I didn't think Danny had a great game; he kept getting sucked into the middle of the park. He had a couple of nice runs on the wing in the 2nd half, but not a lot than that TBH.
Atieno 6 - I thought Tai had a poor game. He didn't hold the ball up and didn't really link up with the players around him. I think he needs to get a little fitter because he's knackered with 10-15 minutes to go!
Rowe-Turner 6 - For the time he was on he did pretty well. Defended well.
Mcphee 4 - He didn't do a lot, but he wasn't on for a long time.

It was nice to meet Forevertufc today and to see Southampton Gull again. It was a day and an atmosphere that won't be forgotten!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Modgull wrote:Brilliant midfield performance today. All three were immense, particularly Eunan who bossed the second half. Lathrope hardly put a foot wrong and Manse was just.....well, Manse.
Wouldn't disagree with this in the slightest, but my first thought on performances was how good our back three of Olejnik, Ellis and Robertson have been of late. Robbo, in particular, has been sensational. Please get him signed to a new deal asap! A quick word for Oastler, too, who is developing into a fine right full-back.