Torquay United vs Oxford United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Acceptable, must win at Plymouth though (obviously!).
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

What did Brucie think of it? :/
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Forgettable game, Mansell should have won it for us in the last few minutes, but hit it wide.

Bring on the Argyle!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

austrianandygull wrote: Hey Matt, last year was last year. Two different teams this. I just think both teams will cancel each other out and it will be a 0-0. I'd take that and move on to Plymouth for a game of massive importance for both clubs and hope to get the win.

Don't wish to gloat Matt but 0-0 and both teams cancelled each other out i believe? :~D :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Truly awful game of football, particularly first half. I had a suspicion that two sides playing 4-3-3 with ball/4-5-1 without would cancel each other out, and that happened. Pretty equal on quality of chances, perhaps we edged it. Constable was the usual handful when he came on, god knows why they didn't start him.

4 points off Swindon and Oxford is a tidy return, keeps us in the mix for the playoff spots. Three points at argyle would make for a fantastic holiday season.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Another one just back from the game.

Agree it was a dire first half but the second was more lively for both teams.

Oxford came for a point and got it. They only had four attempts I think and none on target (i dont count the post as being on target) so Bobby did not have to make a save. Duberry was outstanding and totally dominated Atieno. Was not quite so dominant against McPhee who I thought played reasonably well when he came on.

We were better with 9 attempts with three on target. Both Morris and Mansell had great chances to win it, especially the former who was one on one with the keeper and shot straight at him.

The referee was appalling and saw three times as many fouls by us than them.

My player ratings for those who may be interested:

Olejnic 8 did nothing wrong but not much to do in fairness
Nicho 6 dead ball delivery was poor
Ellis 8 kept Constable very quiet
Robbo 8 also kept their forwards quiet
Oastler 7 came forward well towards the end
O'Kane 6 seemed uninterested for much of the game
Lathrope 6 did nothing wrong
Mansell 8 was our most lively player
Morris 6 should have scored
Atieno 5 no product today
Stevens 7 looked lively much of the time

McPhee 6 no time to show more
Bodin 6 still fiddling around when needed to be more decisive
LRT 6 no time to show more

Referee 3

Crowd 3,035, 500 from Oxford
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I think most Torquay fans would have taken a point from this game and by the time the game was coming to an end I think all United fans would have taken a point. The game desperately needed a goal, good chances were being made by both sides however in the end the points were shared. Let’s get into the Match Report then.

It was Yellow Army v Yellow Army for the fans; the singers were up the end of the pop side again with the drum however with no drumsticks? So bottles had to be used! Anyway to the game and at the start Mansell and Atieno linked up but the ball was lost and we were defending, on the back foot. We defended well on that occasion, a shot came from Oxford but Bobby saved. Up the other end Mansell, Stevens and O’Kane linked up, the ball ended up to the Torquay skipper in the middle of the park and he won a free kick. However the free kick caused no trouble for Oxford. A few minutes later the ball was up the Oxford end with Taiwo holding the ball up looking for a pass, but no-one was free. The Oxford defence was very hard to get through and the only way we were going to score was by a shot or by a cross from the wing. Mansell found himself in a great position on the left wing. Lathrope found him but the following cross Mansell made was poor and the ball went out for a goal kick. After this cross by Mansell, Oxford made some nice passing but our defence was on top form to clear any danger needed.

A throw in was awarded to Torquay and Morris was given the ball. He turned and curled his shot just wide. Oxford then went up the pitch causing pressure but the defence was again defending well. Mansell and O’Kane linked up with Nico. Nicholson then ran with pace, he went past an Oxford midfielder and he was blatantly fouled and a free kick was given. Nicholson took the free kick, but it was too heavy and the ball went out for an Oxford goal kick. A few minutes later Morris was booked for a rash challenge. The Oxford yellow army cheered on their side when they went on the attack and ended up winning a corner. The corner came to nothing and the follow up was cleared quickly because the Torquay defence defended well. Our forward play wasn’t good, but in the later stages of the second half the Oxford goal keeper had the ball but then lost control of it and it came to Mansell. Lee then turned and shot but the keeper was back in position to save. A corner was given to Torquay and Eunan took it. The cross was a good one, the Oxford goal keeper punched the ball up then Robbo got up for a header but the keeper saved and the danger was cleared. A minute of added on time was signalled and that minute saw no real action.

The sides went in at half time disappointed that they couldn’t get through the oppositions defence; it needed something special for a side to get a goal. The Torquay Yellow Army applauded the team as they went for the half time break, but they really wanted more from the team.

In the second half it started brightly from Torquay, Eunan ran down the wing and he was fouled. Nicholson took the free kick, the cross came in low. The ball was then crossed back in by Lathrope, Robertson went up for a header but a foul was given to Oxford. The U’s were then on the attack on the wing, but the defence again defended well and got the danger away as soon as possible. The game desperately needed a goal and it didn’t look like it was going to come from Torquay. Oxford were causing pressure on the wings, putting in crosses and causing us to clear the danger away even giving conceding a corner. Up the other end Taiwo Atieno ran with pace in the middle of the park, the ball then came to the booked Morris. Ian Morris took a shot and the Oxford keeper saved, the ball then came out to Oastler and his shot hit the post and went out for a goal kick. A few minutes later Morris and Oastler linked up and won a throw in. The ball came to Eunan, he passed to Oastler who put in a nice ball to Stevens. Danny ran to the ball but he just missed and the ball was out of play. Billy Bodin then came on for Ian Morris.

Oxford put minor pressure on the defence but Oastler cleared and the ball ended to Bodin. Billy ran down the pitch with confidence and won a corner. Sadly the following corner was poorly taken and nothing came on the end of it. Later on another corner was won by Danny Stevens when he ran down the wing. The corner then came to Danny in the box but again nothing came from it. Oxford then had a nice spell of passing but Mansell ruined it and got the ball back from a tackle from O’Kane. But like all game we just couldn’t get through the Oxford defence. Then up the other end of the pitch Lathrope drastically fouled an Oxford player. Chris Mcphee came on for Taiwo Atieno. Damon Lathrope was booked and the following free kick was defended well by the Torquay defence. A poor and a lack of effort clearance was made from Bodin then he fouled an Oxford player and a free kick was given. The free kick was taken well with a dangerous cross; Duberry got up well and headed the ball onto the bar. Rowe-Turner then came on for Danny Stevens.

The ball was with Oxford but Bodin tackled well and retrieved the ball back, he was then fouled and won a free kick. Eunan took the free kick and the ball came to Mcphee, in the end a corner was won by Torquay. Nicholson took the corner, the cross was a good one but the Oxford keeper saved again. About a minute later Mcphee, who did quite well when he came on linking up with players around him, won a throw in. Nicholson took the throw in and it was long. Ellis flicked it on and Bodin shot but it was blocked. The ball then ended up at Lee Mansell’s feet. He had time to set himself, he was one on one with the keeper, but his shot just went wide! A glorious chance to take the points that was the best chance of the game for Torquay. Up the other end Robertson gave away a free kick when there was about a minute left to play. The free kick was good again and Duberry got up and his headed once again hit the woodwork. The follow up shot just went wide; Bobby had to dive just to make sure the ball went out of play.

That concludes the Match Report for the game, both teams couldn’t score and I think a reason for that was both defences played very well. Both teams had chances that they should have taken towards the end of the game, but I think it is a point gained, rather than two dropped. Both Torquay and Oxford might be disappointed that they didn’t score, but the points were shared and that was the correct result performance wise. We go on to play Plymouth Argyle on Monday.

Team Performance: 7

Defence: 9
Midfield: 8
Attack: 7

Officials: 7

Individual Performances:

Bobby 8: He played well, made some great saves but with some wayward kicks.

Oastler 9: Joe played very well, tackled with strength and got up the pitch well linking up with players.

Ellis 9: I thought Mark played well, heading and tackling with confidence.

Robbo 9: Chris played well and like Ellis he headed and tackled well.

Nicholson 8: I thought Nico did well at times coming forward; however a few of his crosses were poor.

Mansell 8: Manse put in his usually 100% effort, he tackled well at times he did give the ball away a couple times and he really should of scored.

Lathrope 9: Damon played well once again, tackled well and linked up with Mansell and O’Kane well.

O’Kane 8: I don’t think he had a great game, but he never plays awful. He linked up with players around him well, but I think he should have taken more shots.

Stevens 7: Danny was a bit quiet today, however he did make a couple of good runs down the wing.

Atieno 6.5: Taiwo didn’t have a great game, he held the ball up a few times and made a nice run, but he did nothing special today.

Morris 8: I thought Ian played well at times, linking up with players and he had a few shots at goal. However he did give the ball away at times, but nothing too bad.

Bodin 6: I thought Billy did ok when he came on, he made a few good runs and passes, but he did get rid of the ball poorly at times.

Mcphee 6: I thought Mcphee did alright when he came on. He didn’t do anything special, but he did link up with players around him and he won a couple throw in’s.

Rowe-Turner 5: He was only on for 10 minutes but he did quite well when he came on, tackled and ran with the ball well.

So after all that it wasn't great, but let's hope we do better when We go on to play Plymouth Argyle on Monday.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Modgull wrote:
Crowd 3,035, 500 from Oxford
Biggest crowd at Plainmoor ever??!! :-D

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

No, I think Bradford brought over 4 million here once. Well according to their fans anyway.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

austrianandygull wrote:
Don't wish to gloat Matt but 0-0 and both teams cancelled each other out i believe? :~D :-D
Hahaha :rofl:
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:
It was Yellow Army v Yellow Army for the fans; the singers were up the end of the pop side again with the drum however with no drumsticks? So bottles had to be used!
is that why you couldnt be heard at all?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

Sure enough, as both Matt and myself say this system ensures no cancelling out draws, we go and do that exact thing. Typical!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not to much to say in this game, to be honest found it utterly boring, two very strong teams well matched, fair result.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: is that why you couldnt be heard at all?
I'm sure you'll hear them on Monday
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

I wasn't there but what did you all think of Morris today?

Big call by Ling to keep him in ahead of Bodin (who appears to have become a fans' favourite without being consistent enough for me). It was an important game for Morris, as he himself admitted he wasn't up to scratch earlier in the season. Just wanted to know what he did?