Buckle Watch

General chat about anything else goes here.
uberwozza
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: caldwell

Buckle Watch

Post by uberwozza »

"To be honest, Buckle probably has the worst rapport with Rovers' supporters than any manager I can remember. He just isn't a likable character at all. " Gas-Ed

http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/t ... e__st__120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently PB gave a radio interview this weekend that hasn't gone down well with the Gas community - where he said that as BR were relegated last year what right did the fans have to complain about being just above the Conference relegation spots

What goes around Paul......
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

And yet, during the summer, people on the Rovers Fans Forum were saying what a nice guy Paul Buckle is (when he was actually meeting with and talking to supporters) and that he should be given full support and time to do the job. Come mid-September, six weeks into the season, they were beginning to call for his head. I do wonder whether such a group of impatient fans really deserve a Football League club, let alone a brilliant manager like Paul Buckle.. :nod:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I genuinely think you are Paul Buckle/a relation.

Good, maybe, brilliant, not a chance.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Brilliant manager, ha, ha very funny, this is banter board so i will take it was meant as a joke, however just incase take a look at 18th place in league 2, yep thats where Bucks is right now, lose to Plymouth and the bottom will be in touching distance, sure is the work of a brilliant manager :rofl:
Formerly known as forevertufc
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Whatever happens Buckle will no doubt come out of it smelling of roses. His sort always do.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Gullscorer wrote:And he will become a Bristol Rovers legend.. ;-)
Or a Bristol City one :-D

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

I see Buckle has had a vote of confidence from Rovers chairman
Wont be long now then
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

keeping us waiting !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16245655.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brady

I Wish I Was There
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Remarkable faith to stick by him. I would have imagined his target for the season would have been "Promotion". Clearly, they aren't there now, so I do actually admire Higgs for at least saying he is going to keep faith with him, whether he does, of course, is another matter.

In spite of everything, i still think Rovers will get a play off finish. Will the fans like him by then? Not by a long shot...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The thing is, we all know Buckle has enough luck about him to get where he wants to go but it's the way he gets there that pisses people off. We tipped the Gas fans off about his character and almost to a man they can see we were right. How long they'll put up with it depends on how fast he can turn them from a rudderless ship into play-off contenders. If it isn't this season, will he be given a second crack? The smart money says he should be but I don;tthink Rovers are a patient enough Club. I just want him to fall flat on his arse and then Rovers can win the League at a canter for all I care :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

stevegull wrote:Remarkable faith to stick by him. I would have imagined his target for the season would have been "Promotion". Clearly, they aren't there now, so I do actually admire Higgs for at least saying he is going to keep faith with him, whether he does, of course, is another matter.

In spite of everything,. i still think Rovers will get a play off finish Will the fans like him by then? Not by a long shot...
They're 12 points behind Gillingham who occupy the last play off spot and although Rovers may beat Plymouth at home on boxing day and Gillingham may lose at Crawley they would still be three wins off not taking into account how other teams do. In short, if they get a play off spot i will support Man Utd as my second team. I think Bucks should get the boot because if they cannot at the very least reach the play offs with the money he has spent and the squad that he has then he has no excuses.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

austrianandygull wrote: They're 12 points behind Gillingham who occupy the last play off spot and although Rovers may beat Plymouth at home on boxing day and Gillingham may lose at Crawley they would still be three wins off not taking into account how other teams do. In short, if they get a play off spot i will support Man Utd as my second team. I think Bucks should get the boot because if they cannot at the very least reach the play offs with the money he has spent and the squad that he has then he has no excuses.
I obviously realise it's unlikely, but with Bucks we always seemed to start the season badly then go on a good run. Although, he was under less pressure from the fans here after a bad run, as we knew where we should realistically be in the league. It will definitely take some run for him to get them on side.

Let's get once thing for sure, I still hope Buckle gets everything that comes to him and has to slink into the wilderness after getting sacked by Higgs. I would like nothing more than to see him managing Hinckley in the future.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Not so sure he'll want to sack Buckle after having to pay us £70k to get him in the first place ;-)

I wonder if the Rovers fans think that was money well spent now? :devil:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Lets put our differences with PB to one side for the minute and look at the job he is doing at the Mem compared to our Lingy. We are 8 points clear of them and have beaten them AWAY at their place also. We both have had injuries and suspensions but as Rovers have a stronger and larger squad then you would assume they would be better equipped to cope. We have spent next to nothing yet PB has spent lots of money bringing players in. The same set of circumstances apply to both managers, both have joined pre-season, assembled a squad with the resources available to them and dealt with the inevitability of injuries and suspensions. Ling wins hands down and no matter how accomplished PB believes he is as a manager the stats don't lie. He has performed poorly and is being found out. I hold the belief that Torquay actually got to the play offs last season DESPITE Buckle. We had a formidable team spirit and perhaps thats what carried us through. The togetherness, the camaraderie and the trust. Look at Branston now, floundering at Bradford and Rotherham, Robinson, couldn't get a game at Cobblers - thats bad!, Zebs and Bevan not pulling up trees at Rovers, Kee is the only one doing well and there are reasons for that too. We scraped over the line in the end and we all watched week in week out when Bucks played players out of position, he is doing the same again at Bristol but this time his expensively assembled squad are so detached from one another that there is nothing there. No spirit and no fight. The team ethic he built at Torquay with mediocre journeymen and loanees is lacking from the big hitters he signed for big bucks. 8 POINTS behind us. That deserves the sack all things considered.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.