Taiwo Atieno

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

austrianandygull wrote:this radio commentary bloke is a complete c**t!
Merely for having an opinion you don't agree with? We're all entitled to our opinions, though of course the only one that really matters is Martin Ling's..
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Can not fault the guy's work rate at all; has put in the miles in each of the 4 games since he got his chance and lends himself to some excellent defensive duties in the last ten minutes too. Sadly a 1 goal return for 4 starts is not ideal for the figurehead of our attack, however as long as the team is winning this shouldn't be an issue, and in fairness not too many clear cut chances have come his way. My worry is if he is to have 'the chance of the game' he needs to put it in the net, I sincerely hope he can because at the moment he is in the first 11 on merit and competition for places should be the name of the game. Keep up the good work Tai!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Hit the nail on the head bengull. Can not fault the guy's work rate. I DID actually say this and have been crediting him for it in other games also. What i am not happy with is his ability as a goal threat which is zero. He doesn't look dangerous at all (in the games i have seen him ) and doesn't offer anything in the way of runs like Rene does for the midfield to pick out. OK so he runs miles per game and i thank him but we're gonna need a bit more than that IMO i'm afraid.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I agree. Atieno's form has improved and could improve even more; once he scores one or two goals he could go on to score a dozen. But Rene Howe has already proved himself in this respect and, assuming he has maintained his fitness and not put on any weight during his enforced break, he should get the nod over Taiwo for the Morecambe game.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I am saying Atieno deserves to get the nod as his work rate has been impeccable. Sends out the completely wrong message to Atieno if he gets replaced by someone who has missed 7 games of our season due to his own stupidity and irresponisbly. 10 points out of 12 since he's been in the team, Atieno starts at Morecambe IMO.
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

Seems we have a nice little problem here, who`d be a manager `eh? I`d say it`s pretty evenly balanced as who would get the nod and I would put it to the two of them that whoever it is would be judged on training this week coming and may the best man win the position. Put the ball in their court so to speak and see what happens!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers for the debate guys, i've nothing against Tai i just don't think he is very good as a footballer. I actually believe that Mc Phee would have been more dangerous from a goalscoring threat perspective, he has come in a few times this season and got a couple. Tai has aslo got a couple , important though they were , but doesn't give us anything different to McPhee. Tai has had mucvh more opportunities thasn Chris so his comparable scoring record is not great.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

And if we could also get Billy Bodin back, either as a permanent transfer or on loan, lack of depth in the squad should not be a problem. Martin Ling's faith in his players to come good appears to be borne out in a way which could never have happened under Paul Buckle.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

I like Rene and I like Tai, but I think Tai deserves his start at Morecambe. I watched both players in training last Monday and Rene hasnt been scoffing the xmas pud and looks as though he has kept up his fitness. I will say that Tai scored plenty of goals while I was watching. Also the players were calling Ian Morris "Morro" previously they called him "Mo" but I think this may have been confusing cos it sounds like "Joe", which is obviously what Joe Oastler is called. Is it just me who likes to know what nicknames the players have for each other ?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Haha, it's not only you GLG, I'm always fascinated. Reading 'Where's your Caravan' tells us that footballers aren't usually particularly original when selecting nicknames for one another.

Where is our training ground? I've heard it mentioned a bunch of times, but going to watch never occurred.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I would expect none of the those who started at Macclesfield to play in the home Reserves fixture against Bournemouth on Tuesday.

It's highly likely that both Howe and Saah will play at least an hour.

Dinger will then have a more informed view of who starts where and who's on the bench for the Morecambe fixture. :nod: ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Training is mostly at Seale Hayne. On thursday they train at Plainmoor. We asked Martin and Shaun at the beginninng of the season if it would be ok to occasionlly watch the players and they said yes. Training doesnt always start at the same time, so it can be a bit hit and miss. We went this morning at around 11am but the players hadnt arrived. I find watching the players training really good and it always makes my day, but then I am Torquay United mad!