Home and Away form

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Home and Away form

Post by CP Gull »

Just looking at the League table and noticed that a 3-0 home win against Barnet a week on Friday will take us up into the final play off spot - at least for a few hours anyway! In truth any sort of win would do and Barnet can be tricky opponents as our former Manager found out to his cost recently!

Anyway, just looking at our record so far this season and it's quite bizarre really in that we have scored as many at home as all bar Crawley and yet only 5 teams have conceded more at home. While away from home we have as tight a defence as any in this league in terms of goals we have let in as only Swindon can match us - and yet when it comes to goals scored on our travels we have one of the worst records in the League with only three teams having scored fewer! All very strange if you ask me!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, I looked at this the other day and was quite shocked to see the difference , between our goal diference at home and away.

What is even more strange to me is those 8 goals scored away from home have netted the team 12 pts, yet 23 goals scored at home have resulted in just 4 pts more at 16 pts, player mentality has a lot to do with it, as we all know.

Also think prehaps there have times when the team has been to gung-ho at home and tried to force things, the Morecambe goal frustrated me at the time, 1 up in the 82 minute and our team all out attacked a corner when there was no need, and as we know there man run the 3 parts of the pitch uncallenged and scored, when the attack broke down.

Hereford and Plymouth home were much better the team did not panic when things were not going there way in both those games, and won them with some ease in the end, long may it continue.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

No time like the present and immediate future ( v Macclesfield, v Morecambe) away to improve on our away form. :nod:

If we are to clinch 7th place and a play-off spot in the final shake up, we need to be awesome away from home in this the second half of the season. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

Surely this makes perfect sense as we are more attacking at home which leaves us more vulnerable as a byproduct. While our away strategy is more defensive so less goals all round?
Seems to be working in our favour anyway :)
Silkyman
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Silkyman »

Well, when one of the worst away goalscoring records travels to one of the best home defensive records, I'm hoping that it goes to the formbook.
Silkyman
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Silkyman »

How is losing Bodin going to hit you?
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Silkyman wrote:Well, when one of the worst away goalscoring records travels to one of the best home defensive records, I'm hoping that it goes to the formbook.
The "formbook" would say 0-0 then!! Is that what you hope for?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Silkyman wrote:How is losing Bodin going to hit you?
Entirely depends on who we use to replace him. McPhee is cack and won't cause you many problems unless you have the slowest, most inept left back in football league history.

Morris is decent but nothing hugely special, a decent left foot on him which means he can send some decent balls into the box but not particularly quick or skillful.

If we use Macklin, he could cause some damage but he's your classic lower league winger, when he wants to play he could be brilliant but when he doesn't, he's non-existant.

Unfortunately, both Ling and Buckle have avoided using Macklin which means he probably doesn't try on the training ground. I'd imagine it'll be Morris as he fits into Ling's liking of wingers playing on their opposite foot.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Silkyman
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Silkyman »

gullintwoplaces wrote: The "formbook" would say 0-0 then!! Is that what you hope for?
If we can get a '0' on your side of the scoreline, we're halfway there!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

After yesterday's result, our away form is obviously improving. No reason why it should not improve even more. If the Gulls can get a similar result at Morecambe (and they can, though I'd be happy with a draw), then, with two home games against Dagenham and Northampton, we could be in a great position to challenge not just for the play-offs, but for an automatic promotion place!

Actually, last week Northampton won 2-1 at Morecambe. If they can do it, the Gulls undoubtedly will, though they'll have to play at or near their best ..